Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 1998 Honda Odyssey I use primarily for driving around the bay area and out to the beach on the weekends. It mostly carries surfboards & kids. I do take an annual long trip down coastal Highway 1.

I just hit 220,000 Miles and was hoping you might have some suggestions of things to take care of or look into so I can hopefully keep this van going til 300K.

A little background on the vehicle. I purchased the vehicle in 2013 with 130,000 miles from the original owner who used it for her flower delivery business in San Francisco, CA. Her father is a mechanic at SF Honda. She had all the maintenance receipts for the vehicle and had used full synthetic motor oil since day one. Timing Belt and Water Pump changed at 103K. l confirmed all maintenance with SF Honda.

I continue to keep doing full synthetic oil changes. Other than brakes and routine maintenance I have had the following services performed:

160K Replaced Transmission and have been changing the transmission fluid every 15K, only with Honda fluids.
176K Replaced Front Motor Mount @ Honda dealership
195K Replaced Front Motor mount & all additional rear and side Motor Mounts
203K Replaced Front Upper Control Arms at 203K
203K Replaced Muffler
203K Valve Adjustment & new Spark Plugs
205K Replaced Front Motor Mount due to failure/replaced under Warranty
218K AC Recharge
219K Replaced Front Brakes & Rotors
219K Replaced Rear Shocks and Front Struts with KYB Excel-G @ 219K
219K Changed Timing Belt and Water Pump changed @ 219K
*Also changed the Camshaft Seal, Crankshaft Seal, & balance shaft seal
220K Replaced Front Motor Mount with Honda OEM again under Warranty
220K Replaced the sunroof which had some rust spots with a clean one I got from the local pick and pull.

The mechanic did state the back mount is starting to fail again, not too bad but it is starting to go. I had this confirmed by another auto repair shop.

Again, I am looking for suggestions of things to take care of or look into so I can hopefully keep this van going til 300K.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 98 has 330k. I try to keep up with everything as soon as a problem appears. It's in the shop for two reasons. Will get back to you when it gets out. Still using regular oil. Getting 20 - 23 per gal. At 70 to 80 mph. Never checked the front mount.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,307 Posts
The 2.3L engine will last a very long time. 300K is certainly within reach. Since your transmission was replaced at 160K, I'd say that you should have few problems getting to 300K.

With 220K miles, there are a number of things that could go at any time and potentially leave you stranded. Namely, starter, alternator, fuel pump. Usually, these items give a little warning before they fail, so just keep an eye/ear out.

If your radiator/coolant hoses/thermostat are original, I would probably change them all out. It's highly likely you'll need one of these items to get to 300K. I don't think this is a difficult repair. You also don't want to risk overheating your engine.

One other thing that comes to mind, change the power steering fluid if you haven't done so --- easy preventative maintenance.

Reactions: kkun and 1998 Oasis

·
Registered
13 Posts
With 220K miles, there are a number of things that could go at any time and potentially leave you stranded. Namely, starter, alternator, fuel pump. Usually, these items give a little warning before they fail, so just keep an eye/ear out.

If your radiator/coolant hoses/thermostat are original, I would probably change them all out. It's highly likely you'll need one of these items to get to 300K. I don't think this is a difficult repair. You also don't want to risk overheating your engine.
Have your fuel injectors professionally cleaned or replaced. I was getting poor gas mileage, but thought it was normal. My injectors started leaking into the cylinders at 151k miles, and I could not start the engine. Finally cranked it long enough to clear the flooded cylinders.

Good tip about the starter/alternator. Maybe swap those out soon or keep spares in the trunk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts