Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did not want hijack anyones post but here it is. This trans has previously been rebuilt!!

symptons prior to me buying it. Start it off and it drove good for 6 blocks. Coming up on the stop sign and I stopped. As soon as I took off RPMS went striaght up no go!!! 1st gear slipped as soon as the tranny got warm.

This trans has a new torque converter. However it did show signs of heat on the steels. Torque converter got stuck on the flywheel, once again thats heat.

This is the low down. If your still able to drive the van your torque converter is good. If it is slipping pretty bad, more then likely your clutches went out. When that happens, the valve body and the inside of the tranny gets dirty from clutch particles.

Thats the reason you see the guys highly preach TRANS COOLER. They could not be more correct. Listen to them HEAT IS YOUR ENEMY.

Two, now you have to get your tranny fixed. You can take it to your betrusted tech or the dealer. This is what I have seen and also been told by a guy who has done trannies for 40 years. I have the photos to prove it too.

The drum that has the bad clutches. Only the damaged clutch will be replaced. Thats pretty dam stupid because if your 1st gear is slipping and your 4 th gear clutches are good. They wont replace them. However in a couple of thousand miles bye bye clutches to the high gear that did not get replaced. We are all cussing the Odyssey.

Dont believe, look at my photos. And if you dont believe this is what is preached in tranny shops. Do I agree? as a tech no. Customers pay for a complete master kit with clutches steels and seals. Im a firm believer that everything that is in the box put it in there.

Below are the photos. If your inclined to doing this, get a camera &

email me pm for download of the F S M 99-02

you guys have my permission from me Jaime Rodriguez to download any of my photos. Just dont go sell my photos!

clik on the photo below it will take you to a couple of photos of the trans Im working on. Above is the F S M to d ownload. Is legit and is not a virus.

any questions just ask?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great post Jamie. Thanks for the pics. Is that a 4 or 5 speed you are rebuilding?

Are you rebuilding this yourself? I have been thinking about doing the same on my 02 trans. I would much rather do it myself so I know it was done right.

cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ody-tech said:
Great post Jamie. Thanks for the pics. Is that a 4 or 5 speed you are rebuilding?

Are you rebuilding this yourself? I have been thinking about doing the same on my 02 trans. I would much rather do it myself so I know it was done right.

cheers,
Ian
this is a B7 trans, 4 speed. Parts are the same from 99-01. You will need a strong impac to remove those three 34 mm bolts. Two are reverse thread and is normal. YOu will also need a bolt grip set.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=10284&group_ID=1237&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-ON-Bolt-Grip-puller-set-CJ2001P-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588825e967QQitemZ380241308007QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

You dont have to buy that one, you can pick up a professional set from NAPA at fraction of that snap on price.

You will need to go to ACE and purchase a very long bolt, I forgot the size, I think is a size 6 1.0 thread pitch because your bolt set wont bring a bolt long enough to grip the gears to pry them apart on the top.

Once you remove those theres the drums, valve body and filter. The rebuild kit will have directions and will be properly labeled. You can refer to the FSM as I have posted for download. I paid for that download.

THat blue machine is to compress the center of drum to remove these two parts. There are two seals on 1st and 2nd. Then on 3rd and 4th there are two cup like things you have to replace with new seals. You will need that tool, or you can buy that compressor from OTC. I got my freeman from Amazon for $266.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clutch-Spring-Compressor-Transmission-Foot-Press-/280516657931?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item415018830b

Just do one stack at a time. This is my first time replacing clutches. No one ever taught me how to do it. The only part that my brothers taught me was to thoroughly clean the Valve body and the complete trans unit, every single crack must be removed cleaned and if theres seals they must be replaced. I am sure this is what Honda charges you guys a arm and a leg for a trans. WHomever rebuilds them is very very thorough with the rebuild!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ENSURE YOU GUYS keep on cliking on the photo! clik two times to get to the rest of the photos.

the link is a google download, whom ever gets it gets it.

new clutches

notice the mismatch clutches, look at them closely

see the green cups, those have alot of pressure inside the drum. YOu have to use that compressor to remove this ring to remove the cups, both are the same in size

rebuilt trans but dirty=it will fail again, slipping and overheating

center piece of this drum has to be pressed as well. Theres a seal up under it. Yes you have to change it. Every seal does a job in this trans

using the wrong oil=slipping trans too so be cheap and find out what will happen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have access to a few different style puller kits through work. I will check out what we have tonight.

Did the master kit come with the in-trans filter? Where did you get your kit?

Also how heavy/ awkward was the large K-frame that you have to drop to get the trans out?

My 02 has a slip from 2-3 but it seems to only happen about once a week now. I had planned on getting a low-mile replacement, but I may start picking up the parts needed to rebuild my own.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Ian

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Removed the link to the copyrighted Honda FSM. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
jay25 said:
ouch sorry!!
No problem. We got several complaints about the manual that was posted here while the board owner and the mods were MIA. Don't want to get the forum shut down by the big bad Honda lawyers you know. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ody-tech said:
I have access to a few different style puller kits through work. I will check out what we have tonight.

Did the master kit come with the in-trans filter? Where did you get your kit?

Also how heavy/ awkward was the large K-frame that you have to drop to get the trans out?

My 02 has a slip from 2-3 but it seems to only happen about once a week now. I had planned on getting a low-mile replacement, but I may start picking up the parts needed to rebuild my own.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Ian
that frame is not a big deal. You have to lower it down a bit. By lowering it down you have access to the 14s holding the PS rack. Theres also 2 or three 10mms holding the rack lines. I used a tranny jack to hold the front of the k frame on the front. ON the rear I used a big jack stand in the center. I also placed a large Jack stand under the oil pan to hold engine and trans. I Lower it down. Scoot the k frame over the passenger side, slide a jack under the trans. Remove the jack stand and slide the frame out.

Grab a sharpie and label the four corner parts to that frame. Left Rear , Right Rear, Front Left, Front Right. Spray paint some of the bolts. The job itself is not hard, trust me is not. Honda leaves good amount space to work. My best advice is to organize or label your stuff. Yes you take 5-20 mins to label, but when you are putting together it will take you seconds to grab, thread and tighten.

goes very fast

I did not buy this kit, my brothers got them for me with their business account at transtar. You have to purchase the filter separately. Like $15 for the filter

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It may give others the confidence to try it on their own. I'm curious to see how it turns out and what your total time will be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OdyinNH said:
Thanks for posting this. It may give others the confidence to try it on their own. I'm curious to see how it turns out and what your total time will be.
I do have another job and had to go to court this week two times. If you guys have access to a cleaning machine you got it made. Cleaning parts machines cost a grip. I know they go for well over $1500.00. That is the most tidious part of this rebuild. Remember all these oil passages are very small. Any clutch debree or metal debree, bye bye transmission. This transmission that I just took apart has no sign of damage. The
a-hole who ripped off the previous owner did not clean it. I found small metal pieces, clutch particles etc...Also see the green cup like parts? Those were dirty. They were not cleaned. Im definitely changing the torque converter because Im not risking my beautiful time.

Radiator lines must be cleaned with pressurized air. Those lines do get clogged. No flow in or out that will over heat your trans, bye bye trans. Solution get a transmission oil cooler. YOu can get a Hayden from Autozone. Get a nice size one. Dont cheap out on those transmission coolers. They work pretty good.

One of the master techs for these Honda trans will only warranty the unit if you install a transmission oil cooler. No oil cooler on any of his trans will automatically void his waranty.

But thats it in a nut shell.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I work on aircraft for a living so i am a big fan of "tag and bag", every component I remove gets a label and its own zip-lock bag.

K-frame removal seems pretty straight forward. Thanks for the tips.

I am going to talk to a local trans shop to see if they would be willing to compress the drum for me, that way i won't need the press.

Ian

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ody-tech said:
I work on aircraft for a living so i am a big fan of "tag and bag", every component I remove gets a label and its own zip-lock bag.

K-frame removal seems pretty straight forward. Thanks for the tips.

I am going to talk to a local trans shop to see if they would be willing to compress the drum for me, that way i won't need the press.

Ian
the clutches those you get out with a flat screw driver. Is the centers that need to be removed. Im sure they wont charge you more then $20 for that. Is to remove the snap rings. Put the new ones and your done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
maybe this is a silly question but has anyone posted a detailed DIY on rebuilding your tranny? parts, tools, step by step pics?

This is good info but after reading it I still don't have enough confidence to tackle the job myself.

And after reading all the threads about purchasing rebuilts, etc, I think there is enough info overall to do a better job by yourself than your local tranny guy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
contacted previous owner

Okay guys have some news that may leave you seriously wondering.

It was replaced by honda in Raleigh NC two years ago:eek:

I had to seriously call the owner and ask him who did this half azz job on this van. Im not saying Im better, but the new clutches in 1s and 2nd are the exact same ones that Im putting in. Word for word verbatum exactly what my little brother has told me all along. By the way guys when I mean little one of my brothers is 21 the other is 24. Im 34, so this gives you an idea where these young guys stand as far as mechanically inclined.

NO I did not post this to glorify them. Im here because I wanted to see where is the odyssey forum guys stand on this trans issue. But for $3500 plus and then some. Just to replace the clutches that are damaged. No I dont see thats appropriate. Dont think all auto trannies are bullet proof either.

This is not a honda issue by no means. I bought a van for my mom 10 years ago. It was a astro van. This explains why the asto van trans failed a year later:mad: Dont think I paid $500, we had to put out $3000.00 to speedy transmission in Marietta. Not once but twice!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KFWA said:
maybe this is a silly question but has anyone posted a detailed DIY on rebuilding your tranny? parts, tools, step by step pics?

This is good info but after reading it I still don't have enough confidence to tackle the job myself.

And after reading all the threads about purchasing rebuilts, etc, I think there is enough info overall to do a better job by yourself than your local tranny guy.
Im using the FSM to do this rebuild. I have no one around to help me out. If you want to know what set of tools I got then I may get a more detailed list.

I just disassembled the valve body. Filter was probably not replaced. Theres alot of dirt and debree in this tranny. The Ahole who did it set this tranny up for failure.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Obviously too late for you to do Jay but I would love to see a full writeup on how to do this with hints and tips. When/if mine dies again I may just jump into it. Of course that depends on the time of year seeing I do not have a garage so 10 degree weather would not be fun. Thanks for posting this, I'm sure people will ask you for advice in the future. Those clutch plates remind me of the ones in my dirt bike, any stronger after market ones from someone like Hinson? :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright folks, Im about done with the Valve body assembly. I did have a check engine but forgot the code and I did not even bother to write it down. Oops sorry. Anyways two of the valves on the servo body were jammed. They would not go back and forth. I had to get some sand paper and sand down the inside of the valve body and the valve. I also stretched out the spring. Most of you guys go crazy replacing sensors but it is what it is. Its an auto transmission and theres no telling what will break. Good thing I did this one myself.

The symptons to this tranny were major slippage in first gear along with a check engine light and TCS.

·
Registered
482 Posts
jay 25, good on you to post pics. besides the clutch packs and the crap left over from the previous rebuild have you come across anything else that would make you think that was why the tranny failed?

or was it pi$$ poor rebuild + bad clutch packs only?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Richie_Richie said:
jay 25, good on you to post pics. besides the clutch packs and the crap left over from the previous rebuild have you come across anything else that would make you think that was why the tranny failed?

or was it pi$$ poor rebuild + bad clutch packs only?
There was nothing wrong with the build at all. The reason why this transmisison failed 24 months after the rebuild it was because the two of the valve body valves were stuck. What that means is, if the valves are suppose to be open or close there were not functioning. Everything inside the auto transmission works on pressure. You guys know alot of pressure=heat. That explains why the car drove for 2 minutes then it would get stuck, then slip in first gear. Below are the photos. YOu will notice one valve (solenoids) forward and one stuck to the rear (right hand side), open position. Both valves(solenoids) were stuck open. It rendered the proper transmission sensors (solenoids) on the outside useless=broken by the Trans computer. They were never broken. all you guys on this forum can trouble shoot your own trans by just reading the steps on the FSM. Once you rule out the external sensors are good, then hand the van over to a trans technician to do the rebuild for you. You can get your codes by going to any autozone or advance and they will give it to you. THe next step is to get a FSM and a good voltmeter. FSM gives you all the diagrams etc...if your not mechanically inclined and dont want to even try prepare to pay for the diagnostic. You know Honda is going to want to just say REPLACE the tranny.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts