Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today - out of the blue - my check engine kight went on solid, then started flashing, and went solid again. The van seems to be running rough now. I've checked all the fluid levels and gas cap. It's almost like it's not getting air and "chugging." Clean air filter. 250,000 km on the van, 1999.
Any ideas on what to check?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The ONLY way to determine where the problem is is to pull the codes from the computer. Many parts stores will pull it for you for free. Making a WAG without first getting the code and doing the diagnosis can be hard on the wallet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
pull code 1st!

from the description of your prob, sounds like a misfire. coil is a good possibility, could also be injector, or a mechanical problem. pull code to know which cylinder the problem is in and start diagnosing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Everyone
I went to my mechanic's shop and had the code reader applied. The codes that came up were: PO300B, 301B, 302B, 303B, 304B, 305B, 306B. I was told that these were "miss fire" codes. He recommended changing the plug wires before diving into the coils.
I don't have the service records from the previous owner, so I can only assume that they are the factory wires. Does this make sense?

Also, two other codes came up: 5-01 and 7-02 "Internal malfunction of the restraint system SRS unit".

Thanks so much for the assistance with this problem
Dan Ross

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
There are no plug wires in the gen 2 ODY. The coils clip on the top of the plug directly. Search on the codes as there is a good thread on diagnosing which coil may be bad.
5-01 and 7-02 says to check the battery voltage. This has come up here many times and almost always is fixed by a new battery. You will have to reset the SRS codes as they do not automatically reset when the problem is fixed nor do they reset by disconnecting the battery or resetting the check engine codes.

Just a note: The battery does more than just supply voltage to the engine. It acts as a filter for electrical noise generated in the system. When it gets weak the electrical noise increases and the weaker components fail, ie the SRS computer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks William.

I replaced the battery and alternator last month so the SRS code has been reset and is not giving a problem any more.

I'll go forward with getting a new coil and start the process of elimination. (as per the instructions from the thread posted on 07/08/08 from Leostar72)
Hopefully it's only one coil giving me a problem.

My guess is if 2 or more coils were bad the van would be stalling out all the time or not starting at all. Sound right to you?

I have included the step by step instructions posted by Leostar 72:

* Open the Hood, (Car Engine off, Keys in my pocket)
* Checked the coil location,
* Take a 6 MM Allen and trying to remove the first coil from rear first (if you stand in front of the car - facing to Ody) its your left hand side first coil.
* Put the 6 MM into it and moved clockwise
* coil removed, then removed the connector
* Installed the new coil and connect with connecter.
* Start the vehicle - *STILL PROBLEM*
* Removed second coil (Middle One - Rear)
* Replce with First one which I just removed
* Removed the third coil and replaced with second one, which I just removed.
* So Rear 3 coils are OK
* Then removed the upper cover which has 4 crews on it and then removed second small cover where V6 - 3.5 Engine is written.
* Then remove 4th Coil from left
* Then removed 5th Coil (Middle One - Front)
* Then removed 6th Coil - last one (Front - Right hand side) and notice that it has some oil of the back, so thought this one is the faulty.
* So Replaced 6th Coil with 3rd one Which I removed while replacing 3rd Coil.
* Put back 4th and 5th Coil in same place
* Close the small cover
* Close the upper cover
* Colse the hood and start the vehicle to check the problem.
* And And And its Gone !!!!!!! - Back in Business.
* Does not feel the vibration, No TCS but still Check Engine Light is showing.
* So took it on road and went to 2 miles, come back again, stop the vehicle, Off the Engine, removed Key and Locked,
* Come back after 30 min.
* Start the vehicle
* No Check Engine, No TCS, No Vibration.

Wow Problem Solved without taking to dealer and any shop.
Thanks for this forum. If any other Odyuys has similar problem they can follow these steps to resolve it. Thanks Again, LeoStar"

Thanks again William
Regards

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My comment was for WW who told you to pull the codes first. I should have written down the codes to expect in my reply so that you would have been even more impressed :)

All kidding aside, on Odyssey, when you get misfire and blinking check engine light, 90% of the time it will be one of the coil. We have too many of the documented incidents in this forum.

- Vikas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello - I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey with 190K miles. The CEL has been on for some time and the van has run fine. Yesterday I noticed the oil was a little low so added about 1/3 quart of oil. I drove it with no issues during the day then later that day when I went to start the van it was rough and the CEL started flashing then would go solid and the rough ride continue. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Return to the start of this thread and start by pulling the codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello - I just drove to Autozone and they downloaded the following codes from my 1999 Odyssey: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304, P0306, P1399, P1457. Technician at store thought it may be the MAF sensor since he had similiar experience. Thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
1457 is an emissions code for the fuel tank side of the evaporative system. There is TSB for a possible failed valve, if you search it's been discussed many times.
As mentioned above, coil failure is possible, also check spark plugs. Misfires also occur from valves that need adjusting, usually the exhaust valves are too tight. A vacuum check will show if they need adjusting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2003 ODY MIL Indicator Light suddenly started acting up at a toll booth -- would flash 3 times, then be quiet a couple of seconds, then flash 3 times …. Car also started idling real rough. I took the first possible exit, and pulled into the closest available parking lot. Shut off engine, restarted -- same issue. Did not want to drive it anymore, as I was afraid of frying the cat convertor. Called AAA & towed it to the dealer. Pulled code P0306 -- misfire in cylinder 6. Ignition coil not working. Replaced coil -- $88 parts + $166 labor ! Car has been running smooth without any codes since -- 3 weeks, 200 miles.

Am now debating buying a spare coil for the glove box -- as suggested above, and in other threads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts