Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
When it shuts off does it stumble or shake at all or is it like someone turned off the key? Does it restart afterwards or do you have to let it sit before it starts?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Sounds exactly like a failed ignition switch. Those are defective and recalled on these cars.

I'm on about my 4th or 5th one. Search for the part number 35130-s0x-305 on this forum for many posts on diagnosis.

If that is the problem, it is covered by the recall warranty - no time limit or number of replacements limit. Mine could fail tomorrow ('99, 236k miles, already replaced a few times on warranty) and I could get a new one installed for free. But you need to make sure that is the problem otherwise they'd charge you a diagnosis fee to tell you they don't know what it is. Also make sure they know about the recall warranty - Honda of America can straighten them out if they need it. Some of my posts tell you how you can partially disassemble things to do a quick inspection to confirm that is the problem before you take it in.

TSB A02-031 covers replacement. Attached. It's a long TSB, but that's mostly since it covers so many different cars.

If that is not it, the other "usual suspect" for a car dying like that is the main relay. Search on here for that too.

"gauges go off" - one common feature of the ignition switch failure is that when it dies, the entire instrument panel will light up, go dark, light up (all lights), etc. a few times and then dark and dead.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Starts then while going down road gauges go off
It sounds like the main relay under the dash to the left of the wheel. My wife reported these (your) symptoms to me for a week and I had it fixed a few hours after it happened to me. On YouTube, Eric the car guy has a video about it. I soldered for the repair but replaced the Main Relay anyhow once the part arrived.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Let us know if it's the main relay. And if a re-solder fixes the problem. Seems common on 2nd generation odyssey.
My, 2001, 212,000 miles. Still waiting for the main relay to fail.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Let us know if it's the main relay. And if a re-solder fixes the problem. Seems common on 2nd generation odyssey.
My, 2001, 212,000 miles. Still waiting for the main relay to fail.
My main relay never failed on my '99 (at 236k miles and counting), but that's partly because I pre-emptively removed and re-flowed the solder on it while wrestling with another intermittent problem - wanting to rule this out as a possibility. Even though I had no failures, the most commonly failing solder joint was clearly visually not right.

Given how easy it is to remove, inspect, and reflow the solder on it, and how commonly it is reported on these cars, I'll suggest it's a good thing to do pre-emptively.

Or if you're not wanting to do any soldering ... one of my other cars has a similarly notorious relay (the DME relay) that is known to fail, stranding you or causing intermittent problems. One of the first things I did after buying that car was to buy and install a new DME relay, storing the still-working one I removed in the trunk, as the backup.

For the pre-emptive repair stuff decision making, you can consider the cost of repair, likelihood of failure, and cost of failure (e.g., if it strands you or dies suddenly while driving).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
oldskewel
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing