1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have problem with my minivan.
When turn switch to ON (w/o start),
I hear HB pumping about 5 sec and weird sound coming from master cylinder. Brake lamp glow and buzzer

Something like high pressure sensor faulty.
Appreciate if anyone can advise me about this.
Tq

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hydro Booster? Water pump? I think something has been lost in the translation. Water pump is built into the motor.
Gas or Fuel Pump? Yes, that turns on for a few seconds when you turn the key.
Weird sound from Master Brake Cylinder? Have you checked the brake fluid level? If your brake fluid is low that will turn on the brake warning light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
I have problem with my minivan.
When turn switch to ON (w/o start),
I hear HB pumping about 5 sec and weird sound coming from master cylinder. Brake lamp glow and buzzer

Something like high pressure sensor faulty.
Appreciate if anyone can advise me about this.
Tq
Hydro Booster? Water pump? I think something has been lost in the translation. Water pump is built into the motor.
Weird sound from Master Brake Cylinder? Have you checked the brake fluid level? If your brake fluid is low that will turn on the brake warning light.
Mine use hydraulic brake booster. Not sure 1999 Odyssey use same. I see accumulator there and pumping afew sec when turn the key on. I'm sure the weird sound from master cylinder is high pressure release valve

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes, the 99 Odyssey and LaGreat are basically the same. Both have power brakes.
Have you checked the brake fluid level?
Have you recently bled the brakes? While bleeding the brakes, if you let the brake pedal go all the way down to the floor you can damage the seals on the master cylinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake fluid is in between min and hi level and I never bleed before. Btw,how much the cost for replacing the whole master cylinder?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After searching and googling I found that the 99-04 ody and lagreat are using different brake system. Which ody utilised engine vacuum while JDM LaGreat use hydraulic pressure as brake assist/booster.

IMG20200310220900.jpg

LaGreat master cylinder

LaGreat hydraulic pump

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is interesting. Do you have more info on this braking system? If that picture shows the pump, it also looks like an electric control module plus perhaps a hydraulic pressure storage sphere(the black sphere)?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow , I really like how that braking system works. There is some troubleshooting info at the end of the manual. I have worked extensively with Citroen hydraulic systems which works in a similar way.
Using the info in the manual you should be able to diagnose the problem. One thing that I would suspect is bad is the accumulator sphere. There is a rubber diaphragm in there and would be susceptible to be broken. When the diaphragm breaks the N2 gas would be released into the system causing problems.
In your pic of the control unit, is that tape or some sort of sealant (grey) on the top? This would indicate if it is not factory installed, there was a prior problem with the unit. Perhaps brake fluid was leaking into it from the reservoir above?
Brake fluid has problems. It attracts water and does not have good lubricating properties. This can cause internal rusting of the system.
I would think first steps would be to bleed the 4 brakes and the bleeder screw on the top of the pump unit. Look for gas (N2) in the brake fluid indicating the sphere has ruptured and released it's N2 into the system.
Are parts available? Either new or used?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The HB unit keep pumping until weird loud sound hear from master cylinder. Warning light illuminate and buzzer pingging. I'm sure the sound is coming from high pressure release valve inside the master cylinder.
Take the control module out and found that the high pressure sensor faulty.
Ya, the parts are rarely use in my country and very difficult to find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts