Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1999 LX with 44k has Check Engine Light on. Took to dealer and was told that vehicle needs new transmission. fault code was P0740
& P0700. But I am driving my vehicle everyday at 80 mph, no vibrations, no mechanical noise. Run as smooth as it was when bought new. It is going cost me $4500 to replace transmission with honda remanufactured. Honda motor Co. cannot do anything here because of 36K warrenty. I found TSB for this problem on NHTSA. If you all have similar problem please notify govt
because it seems to me that there is a design fault with transmission in 1999/ 2000 /2001 models. Also post your similar experience here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ask the dealer review this with the District Service Manager or call the centralized Customer Relations office in California.

It is a known product problem and Honda may cover as goodwill. That is if you have had all the recommended service done and have records to prove it. If not then Honda may not offer any help. During discussion with them ask this "What could I have done to prevent this problem from occurring?"

The dealer may have not contact Honda yet on your behalf.

Goof Luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is the type of situation that makes me want to think real hard about the extended warranty.

1 - Do you trust this dealer? I'ts strange they say you need a new transmission and yet you have no physical symptoms of having transmission problems.

2 - Isn't it possible that the sensor feeding this information to the computer are defective?

3 - Have you tried to get another dealers opinion on this?

4 - I agree with hondaf1. Get the District Service Manager involved. If it is a known problem, Honda should cover it under a "Goodwill" warranty.

Keep us posted.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

[This message has been edited by tomhan (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have talked to Consumer relations office in CA, but since I do not have any case open thay cannot say anything. Just suggested me to take another opinion. Which I am going do it. About my dealer, I asked him to get Honda regional manager to be involved in all this. So they agreed to offer goodwill warrenty and I have to pay $2200 for transmission replacement ( 12000 miles /12 months warrenty). I have personally strong feeling that it is something to do with electronic sensors. I have all service done at dealer.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would wonder what the fault code numbers mean. I, too, wonder how they can condemn a transmission which seems to be working well. This smacks of "throwing parts at a problem", not simply correcting whatever fault may need work. Ask what the numbers indicate, i.e. what is not working properly and how is a new transmission going to cure the problem. Ask if the problem being indicated is a serious safety hazard. If not, I would drive it until it quit. Just thinkin'.......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
865 Posts
P0740: Problem in Lock-up Control System.

nmpatel: Does your 4th gear lock-up properly above 46MPH?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Honda's original factory service manual. I read throughly,and the code points
to the AT. All gears are working fine and 4th gear locks properly at and beyond 46MPH.
I drive this vehicle to work everyday on interstate @ 75MPH. While I was reading service manual, I did plan to verify that Lockup control solonoid value is working, so I removed the connector and meseaure the resistence. recommended 12 - 25 Ohm. found to be 17 ohm. that means value was OK. so I cleaned the contact point before connecting.
Then I reset the PCM code by removing 7.5A fuse ( CLOCK BACKUP) on passenger side under dash board and since then I am using my vehicle again. I put 150 miles on it and engine light is still OFF. I will keep updating this post so that other folks who go through this could get some help in understanding their vehicle.
Dealer don't really take much time to verify the problem. recently build honda's are more computer controlled, so mechanics in their shops have to depend on Honda Moter co's service hotline. they just call them and tell the code number from computer, directly jump on AT replcement.

Dear friends, take a permenent marker and do some marking on all your engine parts that can be removed for servicing, especially on the bolds or screws. whenever you take you car for servicing, before you pay, just verify it whether the mechanics have really
replaced or removed the part for servicing.
if they do that then the marking on the bold / screw will be disturbed.
I have to do this with my vehicle to avoid getting reped off.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nmpatel:
I have Honda's original factory service manual....</font>
Nmpatel;

Thank you very much for the thorough explanation. I like to know not only the solution but how it was diagnosed.

This really is a useful forum!

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L due 10/17
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces

·
Registered
596 Posts
Maugham, I have some NB shoes in black (the mailman model) and they do not show grass stains, Hee! Hee!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
Patel, you seem like a very well informed car guy and we will appreciate a "blow by blow" recap of your progress in this matter. Yes, it is a real concern, these days, when you cannot go into the work area of the shop and see what is going on. We have to hope for good, ethical service people.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had started this thread and here I am again with my final results.

After second opinion with another dealer,
I was told to replace the AT. Talked to Honda
motor company in CA and was able to open a case. Honda aggred to put new ( remanufactured ) AT for $1700. Originlly it cost $3700 but as a goodwill to customer, Honda was doing it for above said price.

I asked service adviser at the Honda dealer to do all testings before they jump to replace AT. As I had said earlier, I have
strong feeling that one of the electronic sensor is not operating correctly. So I decided to take a chance by replace AT clutch solonoid value. That is what it says in Service manual on second last step before replcaing AT. After changing that value and AT fluid for $450 ( parts and labor), I have put 1000 miles on my vehicle and had refilled 3 times. No problem and NO - Engine Check light. It is solved.

I don't have to pay for AT that is ordered
and has 6-8 weeks waiting period that has still not arrived.

Remanufactured AT is not new. Honda collects all the replaced AT from all over USA and
sends them back to their remanufacturing plant. Each AT is cleaned to replace the
so called damaged part inside.

Ready all my mesages up and decide if you really need new AT. If your vehicle is running smooth, but MIL light point to AT,
that does not mean you need new AT.
AT is controlled by 7 different sensors.
It is a Do-it yourself type of job to replace sensors. but it needs right tools to access those sensors because of tight place
in engine compartment.

Also I have decided to replace AT fluid every 15000 miles, because all the sensor are
electromechanical type and operated by switching the flow of AT fluid through it.
It just cost me $29 to replace AT fluid. Clean fluid keep values from clogging.
( just like bad colestrol in blood does to your heart ).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whoa. I am just not believing this! '99 and 2000 transmissions have known defects. Honda is offering mpatel a DISCOUNT?! Geez.

[This message has been edited by TheNance (edited 11-12-2001).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by nmpatel:
I had started this thread and here I am again with my final results.

I went to the dealer yesterday to have the alignment checked on my 2002 EX. While on the test drive I brought up the subject of AT problems in earlier models. The service manager said it was true and they had replaces several. He stated the problem was caused by a chemical compatibility problem between the fluid and the AT housing causing minute particles of metal to released from the housing and flowing threw the system.
If this is true I would think that a more frequent change of fluid would be an good idea to flush out the system.
I should have asked him what the solution for the problem was but didn't think of it.

Just my $02 worth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nmpatel, it sounds like you're a technical guy, so you may want to ask the Honda technician for the Honda Service Bulletin about the '99 and some 2000 transmissions. (I think it is #00-065.)

Also, if I were you, I would try backing up, up an incline to make sure you don't have the 'reverse clunk' problem.

[This message has been edited by TheNance (edited 11-13-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts