Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have looked through alot of the threads but not finding exactly whats going on with mine. I have a 1999 odyssey ex with about 250,000 miles on it. Here are the problems that i am incurring. It shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, also shifts hard when coming to a stop and shifting from 2nd down to 1st. Also when i shift from D to R it makes a horrible ratcheting sound followed by a loud clunk. It has started making a loud clunk sound when i am going in reverse also. I have had is scanned and no codes come up for the transmission. Strange thing is that once you get going it runs pretty smooth, a little bit of drag at highway speed but it seems fine then. So the main thing is the loud ratcheting sound with the clunk when putting it into reverse from drive, and also the loud clunking sound it makes when i put in revers and roll about 15 feet or so. Any suggestions, or has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Do you have the CEL on? Are there lights on all the gear position indicator on dash? PRNDD3D2D1 Could be your neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the CEL? Yes, i have lights on all of those, not on at the same time though.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Check engine light. Try shifting through all the gears and observe if each indicator lights up. top to bottom and back to top. Do it one by one slowly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done that, and they all do light up. The check engine light has not come on at all.

·
Registered
689 Posts
When is the last time you changed your transmission fluid? I would start with that. Is it flaring when you step on the gas and it changes gear? Like it will not shift right away and the revs higher on the tach.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
What nitely2 asked. Last time the transmission fluid was changed. What does it look like on the dipstick? Clear and pinkish or dark, opaque and smells burnt or ? If the later, do a drain and fill very soon and use Honda DW-1 or even the cheaper , but excellent , Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF (gal jug at Walmart for around $18.00).
Then I would do another one within 5-30 miles of driving and then two more with a 100 or more miles between drain and fills. The fluid should be clear and pinkish and not smell burnt.
You should notice the difference within a 100 miles or sooner.
If the fluid looks pretty good when you first check it, a single drain and fill should be sufficient. Then do a drain and fill around every 30k miles or so.
Sure don't like the sound the R makes after 15 ft or so, No idea on that.
Buffalo4
PS: Clean automatic transmission fluid a very important item for transmission life and smooth operation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its been about 6 months since the last fluid change. Checked the fluid today and it does not smell burnt and it is clear and pinkish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts