Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Odyssey Timing Belt Auto Adjuster - 14520-P8A-A01 or 14520-P8E-A01?

I just bought a bunch of parts for my next TB change on my 1999 EX. I saved all the parts I took off when I did the job the first time, 100k miles ago. So before starting any work on the car, I compared these new parts vs. the original ones I saved, and noticed the TB Automatic Adjuster (the piston thing) is different. Looking at parts diagrams, such as at hondapartsdeals.com, I can see that the original part that came off my '99 is 14520-P8A-A01, and the thing they shipped me is 14520-P8E-A01.

Looking at the parts website(s) shows both parts in the drawing, but for '99, only the ...P8A... is listed as available, and for '00 (and I assume through 2003) only the ...P8E... is listed as available. This suggests that ...P8A... is for 1999 only, and ...P8E... is for 2000-2003.

The place I bought the kit from would let return the whole kit, but not just one item from it. Since I got a good deal, I decided to keep the kit, and they gave me a partial refund to account for the error. So I've got the ...P8E... regardless of whether it will fit.

Is there any chance the 14520-P8E-A01 will fit in my '99? I'd rather not have to buy a ...P8A... since I already have this in hand. From looking at the original and new parts side by side, I can see that it might be possible that it would work.

Any chance there's someone out there in the opposite predicament? Please let me know.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
There is a probability that it would fit as the 1999-2001 is the same engine. But this is a major service, you've gone through the trouble of getting all the parts plus it is an interference engine should something go wrong so unfortunately that $80 part should be replaced with the correct P8A adjuster.

·
Registered
539 Posts
When you get the new tensioner, carefully compare it with the one you have and see if you can notice any differences, and post back. I replaced it on my '01 but can't remember which part number it was, I think it was the P8E.

You shouldn't have any problem selling the other one to another member here who needs one. My local Honda dealer had 17 in stock when I got mine, so that means that they go through a lot of them!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P3230004.jpg
Here is a photo of the two parts side by side.
On the left is the new part, a Beck-Arnley brand ...P8E...
On the right is the original part, ...P8A..., that I removed from the car at 105k miles when doing TB job #1.

From looking at the mounting holes and the business end of it, I can believe that the only difference is that the P8E has all that extra length on the back end. Probably makes it more reliable, but my guess is that on the '99s there is something in the way so it would not physically fit. I would guess also that the P8A would probably work on a 2000+, but would not be as good.

I hope these photos + guesses of mine help others. As recommended, I'll probably buy a new P8A and sell this P8E.

Anyone want it? Still sealed in wrapping. Beck Arnley brand (came in their TB kit). From checking ebay, it looks like the lowest they go for is $35 shipped, which I'd be happy to do. Please PM if interested.

BECK / ARNLEY Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster: 024-1439
Brand New Beck / Arnley Timing Belt Tensioner/Adjuster
Direct replacement
Replaces dealer part number: 14520-P8E-A01, 14520P8EA01
Built to strict quality control standards

Brand NEW fitting for the following years and models:
2000-03 Acura 3.2TL Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster for V6 3.2L ( Beck Arnley)
2001-03 Acura CL Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster for V6 3.2L ( Beck Arnley)
2001-02 Acura MDX Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster for V6 3.5L ( Beck Arnley)
1999-04 Honda Odyssey Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster for V6 3.5L ( Beck Arnley)
2003-04 Honda Pilot Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster for V6 3.5L ( Beck Arnley)

Note how it says there that it is compatible with my '99. ???? Not worth taking a chance unless I get direct confirmation from someone that it works, which I don't expect to get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What did you finally do? It looks like Honda upgrade the part after the short 99 run. I was planning to install the newer automatic part presuming it was better.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would keep it until fitment is checked and then decide whether using it or not. This seems a better part then the previous design.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you finally do? It looks like Honda upgrade the part after the short 99 run. I was planning to install the newer automatic part presuming it was better.
I have not done anything yet. We're at 206k miles and the first TB was done at 105k, so I'm not in any rush.

As shown in the picture, I have the new version and the original (the one the car came with, not the one that's in there now) to compare side by side, and am still not sure whether or not the newer part is compatible with the '99. Hoping for a definitive answer some day. Still have the new one for sale if someone wants it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally did the TB job a few weeks ago. Went very well the second time around (210k vs. 105k). I found factory service manual instructions that specifically referred to the adjuster for the '99 vs. for 2000+, so I figured the P8A version really was the only one that would work in the '99. I put in a Genuine Honda part there.

I still have the Beck Arnley P8E version sealed in its bag and available for sale if anyone wants it: $40 shipped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2000 model does not work with 1999. I tried it presuming Beck Arnley new their parts, the extra length broke the oil pressure sender and the tensioner did not seal well with the cover. So I get to take it all apart and try again with the 99 tensioner. Lesson learned hard way.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's bad. I'm glad I played it safe, but until your post I was still wondering a little whether it might have worked.

I thought the same thing about how Beck Arnley must know. Sounds like at least you did not do any engine damage. I think it should be possible to not do the entire job again (e.g., removing the T-belt again). You get some play by loosening the front idler. Of course you'll want to get all the pulleys aligned before loosening anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts