Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just bought this 02 oddy with 100k-honda replaced trans at 60k and all is great so far-i decided to do a few drain/fill on trans with amsoil because it hasnt been done since the trans was replaced 40k miles ago
pulled the drain plug and fluid looked great-tiny little bit of debris on magnet,almost not worth wiping it off-so i added fresh fluid and my question is should i complete the process several more times or just leave it?
btw the spark plugs were original and in great shape too but i changed anyway

·
Registered
114 Posts
use the search button, there's at least 3 great long threads that cover this topic. But to answer your question.... If you feel like you need to do it again and if the old ATF that came out looked like pepsi, then Id say drive it for a week then do another drain fill. When I first did my parents Ody at around 75K, I noticed that the thing looked like coke, so I did it two more times in a 3 week span and on the last drain/fill, the drained ATF looked almost new, so I knew it was completely flushed. So, now I do a drain/fill every other oil change (roughly 7K-8K miles) with Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Its only like $3.60 at WalMart and is easily available whenever you feel like doing the job. I havent tried the Amsoil (I heard it was good but costs a fortune) and the Mobil1 ATF got good reviews here on Odyclub, but didnt seem to be very popular on the 6thgenaccord forum. I always say that buying 4qts of ATF every other oil change beats having to replace a $3500 tranny.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill prob end up flushing it 2 more times just because i have the fluid{im an amsoil dealer}
anyway i did notice the jet engine whin noise from the final drive seems a little better

·
Registered
114 Posts
d-rex said:
ill prob end up flushing it 2 more times just because i have the fluid{im an amsoil dealer}
anyway i did notice the jet engine whin noise from the final drive seems a little better
Just make sure you do a weeks worth of driving in between so that the ATF circulates well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gregersonke said:
Amsoil does wonders for the tq converter whine.
i think its prob final drive/ring and pinion noise
the lash isnt quite correct or the gears are worn
this could be part of the problem with these transmissions-maybe-
all the debris from the ring and pinion gears gets cought in the solenoids and convertor and restricts the fluid flow so the clutches weat and create more heat and so on and so on
sounds like a good theory huh?
im SURE the honda guys KNOW the problem and have addressed it already though!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
d-rex said:
Yeah, I'm sure. LOL :D :D

On topic, you've still got ~50% of the Z1 still in the system if you've only performed a single 1X drain/fill. I personally don't think you need to drive around for 2 weeks before performing a second or a third drain/fill (as I'm sure your all ready aware). If I was an Amsoil dealer, I think I'd just go ahead and do the remaining drain/fills to get all the dino based ATF out of the system and get the synthetic in there. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
herrhaus said:
Yeah, I'm sure. LOL :D :D

On topic, you've still got ~50% of the Z1 still in the system if you've only performed a single 1X drain/fill. I personally don't think you need to drive around for 2 weeks before performing a second or a third drain/fill (as I'm sure your all ready aware). If I was an Amsoil dealer, I think I'd just go ahead and do the remaining drain/fills to get all the dino based ATF out of the system and get the synthetic in there. Just my thoughts.
gonna do just that right now!

·
Registered
664 Posts
d-rex said:
i think its prob final drive/ring and pinion noise
the lash isnt quite correct or the gears are worn
this could be part of the problem with these transmissions-maybe-
all the debris from the ring and pinion gears gets cought in the solenoids and convertor and restricts the fluid flow so the clutches weat and create more heat and so on and so on
sounds like a good theory huh?
From everything I've read, the problem seems to center around heat. When it gets hot the fluid loses its ability to lubricate correctly. Amsoil helps a lot with this due to its wide range of lubrication ability being double that of Z1.

A transmission cooler and filter also helps. I recommend getting a B&M remote filter kit and use amsoil filters in it with a magnet on the end of the filter. Costs a little more up front but makes changing the filter a lot easier.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
d-rex said:
i think its prob final drive/ring and pinion noise the lash isnt quite correct or the gears are worn this could be part of the problem with these transmissions...SNIP....sounds like a good theory huh?
Man, I wish it was just improper final drive preload. That would be too easy to rectify, compared to the historical results pointing at the third clutch pack (heat, lots of it).

OF

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sure seems weird that almost all of the odys i test drove {6}
they all had that final drive whine-i guess its "normal"

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
A lot of A/T's make whirring noises, just as a consequence of hydraulic circuits, rotating mechanicals, and yes, varying amounts of diff noise.

Now, given that, check out the amount of sound deadening material applied to the Ody's floorpan and firewall compared to other vehicles. You might be surprised. Naw, you won't be.

OF

Edited for: shpelling

1 - 12 of 12 Posts