Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me introduce myself, my name is Mike. I have been a car enthusiast for about 10 years now. I’ve worked on cars/trucks/motorcycles/Airplanes (thru the AF). I have a project mustang that I have built from the ground up, bored and stroked to the tune of 6.7 liters 475 RWHP. I like Fords for my toys, but bought the Odyssey for the family hauler reliability….(I test-drove the “Freestar, and it felt like a truck, when it comes to minivans, their really is no comparison).

Anyway I have owned our ’01 Odyssey (no EX or LX whats that about???) for about 13 months. I am getting a no start. It is about 15* and my wife hit the remote starter (only mod) it cranked 3x’s and did not start. I hit it too about 5 minutes later. 3 more cranks, no start. Then I try to manually start it using the key thinking it needed a slightly longer crank time due to the cold. Again, no start. I figured it was flooded due to all the cranking. I wait 12 hours try to manually (key) start it. No start.

Next day I start to trouble shoot the issue. First attempt the van starts right up.?!? I drive it about 3 miles (to the dog park) come back to it about 15 minutes later, and drive it home. No issues. Next day no start again.

I was only outside working on this for about 20 minutes, it was snowing pretty bad. Mustang takes the garage…..

•I check out the battery and the alternator they are fine. Plenty of volts cranking, and sitting there. Plus when it ran I had good voltage from the alt.

•I am not getting any CEL’s, so I assume the issue is mechanical, not electrical.

•I pulled a spark plug and tried to ground it against the block to see if the spark would occur. I did not see it (not sure if this trick works with coil packs, kinda old school distributor based trick). If I disconnect the coil plug, is there a way to test the voltage using a multi meter? It should occur in firing order, right?

•I cranked the ignition for about 30 seconds and instantly pulled a spark plug to try to smell fuel, I could not smell any.

•My instinct says fuel pump, yet I think I hear the pump priming. (I have yet to pull out the carpet and gain access to the panel). On most domestic vehicles there is a shredder valve, or valve stem on the fuel rail which will allow for checking the fuel pressure, I do not see on my van’s fuel rail.

•Any idea how to test fuel pressure regulator if I can’t test fuel PSI off the fuel rail?

I have yet to check fuses/relays (which should be step 1) I am just wondering what you guys might recommend I check next.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Check out the link in my signature line below on info on our 2001s.

The LX has wheel covers instead of alloys, black door handles and no power sliding doors for starters.

Since the no-start is intermittent, I would check: that other chipped keys produce the same result with the immobilizer, a failed PGM-FI Main Relay, located under the driver's side dash or a failing ignition switch. All of these topics you can search on for more info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for the info. and thanks for letting me know how to ID my van, always kinda bugged me.

i will check the links, use the search.

never occured to me to try an alternate key, will give that a shot.

thx.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
New Dad tells about the typical which will kill the pump and ignition. If the key/immobilizer is the issue then I think the green key will keep flashing. If the ignition switch then a bit of jiggling of the key may bring it back, pretty easy fix on that one and the switch is reasonably priced. Somewhere on here is a post about someone's intermittent start, ended up being a crappy relay and he tells exactly what you hear/see when it won't start compared to when it will. Dig around and you'll find lots of things to try but I would start by watching the green key light and how it is when it starts compared to when it doesn't.

BTW, go with the LED post for the clocklight. It lasts forever :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some playing around last night, all fuses/relays good and the fuel pump is deffinitly working. the issue is with the remote starter i installd last winter.

yeah for Honda!

now i just have to trouble shoot that. thanks for the help, i'll deffinitly stick around.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
But the remote starter only affects ignition, right? You said you did not smell gas on the plug when it was not starting.

- Vikas

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, a remote-start w/o bypassing the security system is certainly not going to work as you have found out.

One way to do so - replace your entire ignition switch assembly (mechanical & electrical both) which will come with a new key (which has a security chip in it which will not match the existing immobilizer module until you go to the dealer and have them reprogram it). My BIL had to do this recently on their '99 EX, and in order to avoid going to the dealer, still has the original key permanently affixed underneath the dash. So the security system sees the original key, even though a new key is now being used in the new ignition switch. Hokey but it works.

And the mechanical portion of the switch was worn enough that it was causing intermittent ingition-off symptoms while driving, and all of the weight on the key ring had already been removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah aftermarket.......

the ignition switch is good, it's just there is a loose wire going to the module. going to have to get my multi meter out this weekend.

thx guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts