Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok my first ody was an 06 and was rolled by a relative..

so it took me 3 years to get another ...i finally out grew our audi q7 wich is still in the family fleet this is now our new bus to haul everyone...

so i got the elite about a week ago..i think the sales lady was braging i got the first one in black in california..it took me 8 dealership but one came through..

so i loaded it up with 8 people and thule pod on top and got on the road..having a 2.5 year old and 4 month old ..you need a lot of stuff like stroller and etc..

handling..it is more nimble than my old ody..the steering is more precise ..

fuel economy...it made 21.8 miles per gallon considering i had 8 people and a torpedo on top of my roof...i thought that was good ..i loaded it with 89 octane for the trip.

i was also torn about the size of the pod i first considered yakima and thule ..at first the 21 cubic foot size ..but opted for the smaller one..this is because it was like the airline dilema... you had the space but you cant put that much weight..so i opted large luggage rack and not the extra large.. the rack had only 150 lbs limit on the cross bar as it said on the installation instruction..and thule was better looking...it matched my van better.. i did not have clearance problem with the rear door...we did try the 21 and the rear door was too close to the pod..

the seat even though upright was comfy . Although the radio was near..i did not like the dial controls..i wish they had the touch screen..it was much faster to get to things..

the foot pedals was no problem they did also take out the adjustable pedals

lane changes was easier thanks to the blind spot detections..and the rear camera is loved by the wife who is weak at parallel parking

the engine had ample power to drive 80 mph ..and had enough power to pass ..the tranny with the 6 gears was a lot smoother...


and the kids loved the dual screen..

i thought it was a good 1st experience of the van and was worth the money i paid..i just hope i dont loose this post again..

hope this helps

lemon


taken in hoover dam..during that suspension bridge inauguration.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Congratulations on the new Ody. I think you were wise to go black since a lot of the complaints people have about the new model are not as noticable (door track, black mirrors & spoiler). Also, just for a point of reference for your comparison, I am assuming you had the Touring back in 06? Congrats and enjoy the Ody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes we had the 06 touring..which was rolled by an uncle who fell asleep on the wheel comming back from an indian casino at 3 am. the van faired out well and all 7 occupants live another day to gamble some more..parents are hard to raise..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
728 Posts
Can you comment on interior noise in your new touring, both at highway speeds and around town? Did you compare this van to anything else before purchasing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
lemonlib said:




the seat even though upright was comfy . Although the radio was near..i did not like the dial controls..i wish they had the touch screen..it was much faster to get to things..


lane changes was easier thanks to the blind spot detections..and the rear camera is loved by the wife who is weak at parallel parking

the engine had ample power to drive 80 mph ..and had enough power to pass ..the tranny with the 6 gears was a lot smoother...

I, too, just came from an '06 Touring. The tranny is the biggest difference in ride, IMO. It is much smoother. Just a different ride. I did drive an '11 EX-L and am so glad I chose the 6AT instead.

The blind spot function seemed sort of useless when we were considering which model to purchase, but I am finding it is really nice to have. Especially for myself, I hate driving on expressways and it has changed the experience for me for the better.

The camera is much different than the one in my '06. Wide mode is a lot more useful for backing out of my garage. I like how easy it is to switch between wide/normal/top down views too.

The radio/navi controls you will get used to, I promise. They are a welcome upgrade from the touch screen. Responsiveness is so much quicker and the whole system all around is just done really well.

The headlights make a big difference for me too, especially driving on a lot of rural, un-lit roads at night, and a lot of deer on the roads I drive. I have very poor night vision and I think the headlights might be the feature I'm liking the most, after the navi/audio system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ payor .. I got the Thule Atlantis 1800 in Painted black one... We were able to to stick inside of it 5 over night luggages.. all were the 22 inch luggages..in short those ones that are allowed on carry on..


Lemon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
lemonlib said:
@ payor .. I got the Thule Atlantis 1800 in Painted black one... We were able to to stick inside of it 5 over night luggages.. all were the 22 inch luggages..in short those ones that are allowed on carry on..


Lemon
Great thanks, I really like the look of it. Really thinking of getting one now..

Also, How is the view from the rear view mirror when the screen is down on the entertainment system?

Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ shazzam... the interior noise is a lot quiter than the previous model..as a matter of fact the engine is barely heard in park..and in the freeway the michellin tires are ver quite..although part of me want to change the stock rims to after market...and the wife says you better not..

We considered a few vehicles...we considered the toyota sienna the sports limited one..although it had 20 more horsepower the engine noise and lack of inside refinement made me go for the honda..the last generation was very good to us till its demise..Also i still had issues with the ecm and all the recalls that toyota has..till they get their issues together...forget it...
the other car was the town and county..well the i went on their forum and saw all the complaints on the motor..we droved it and the ride was not smooth..my wife loved the ody cause it drove like a car..then we tried the volkswagen...and quickly upon research found out it was a chrysler also in disguise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ payor..

the wide screen down you can still see the rear amply. I thought it was better than than the regular touring..square one that blocks the whole middle of the rear view..However if some in the rear raises those new head rest from hell (third row ones) you hardly can see anything in the back..they should put a mid notch on those ...but you can still see the inside...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
728 Posts
lemonlib said:
@ shazzam... the interior noise is a lot quiter than the previous model..as a matter of fact the engine is barely heard in park..and in the freeway the michellin tires are ver quite..although part of me want to change the stock rims to after market...and the wife says you better not..

We considered a few vehicles...we considered the toyota sienna the sports limited one..although it had 20 more horsepower the engine noise and lack of inside refinement made me go for the honda..the last generation was very good to us till its demise..Also i still had issues with the ecm and all the recalls that toyota has..till they get their issues together...forget it...
the other car was the town and county..well the i went on their forum and saw all the complaints on the motor..we droved it and the ride was not smooth..my wife loved the ody cause it drove like a car..then we tried the volkswagen...and quickly upon research found out it was a chrysler also in disguise.
Thanks for the reply. I road tested a 2011 Sienna SE and an EX-L Res at city and highway speeds. I thought the SE had a similar ride and steering wheel feel and the seats were comfortable. I also thought the SE was a bit quieter than teh EX-L. I drove a Touring the next day and it didn't seem any quieter than the EX-L.

I think I will probably get the Touring. I don't think any of these vans are particularly quiet. I noticed our 2008 Sienna had quite a bit of road noise as well on a recent trip to our cabin. I'd like more isolation from the road, but I guess this class of vehicle doesn't really offer it. I'll just need to get used to it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,838 Posts
mars35 said:
we need a 2011 sub-forum!!!
Huh? We just got one today. This forum is for road trips so this thread was moved here. Other 2011 threads were moved to the 2011 + forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I live in TN and have one on order....hoping to have soon. Factory is in Birmingham AL so I'm trying to figure out how they can send one to Cal faster than TN! Be glad you have one this early.
Question....did you buy the honda care warranty? If so, where is the best place to get it? Dealer always is too high.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top