Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and 1st time driving any minivan. I loved it! I think it will take me a while to even understand all the features. We drove an Elite but have since decided that we are more in the market for a Touring. Now on to get the best price/value for trade/ and color combo! So very excited and can't wait to learn more about the vehicle from this forum! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
506 Posts
If it's the first time you've driven a minivan make sure you drive a few more before taking the plunge.

·
Registered
497 Posts
and 1st time driving any minivan. I loved it! I think it will take me a while to even understand all the features. We drove an Elite but have since decided that we are more in the market for a Touring. Now on to get the best price/value for trade/ and color combo! So very excited and can't wait to learn more about the vehicle from this forum! Thanks everyone!
Have kid sit in the back seat and go find a stretch of concrete highway or slightly rough road. see if they get car sick

drove nice does not mean its comfortable for everyone else in the vehicle.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Remember,. another plus.. the '11 Oddy is 5 star crash rated and meets the new more stringent 5 star crash protection rating. The '11 Sienna does not, only 4 star.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just drove a minivan for the first time a few weeks ago. My wife and I currently have a 2008 Ford Expedition that is getting 10.6 mpg - we're sick of all the fill ups. I started researching online and we decided to test drive the Sienna, Quest and the Odyssey. The Sienna was nice, but the limited just felt cheap - everything was very hard (doors, arm rests, etc), but had some nice features too (dual moon, push button start, auto 3rd row). Wasn't a huge fan of the way the Sienna drove as it felt more like a boat.
We then took the Quest for a drive (it was the base model as that's all the dealer had in stock last week) and while I really enjoyed the drive after having driven the Sienna it was just simply too small.
We then went and test drove the Honda. I wasn't a huge fan of the outside at first, but it has grown on me while I've been doing the research. From a fit/finish perspective it's better than the Toyota in my opinion and equal to the Nissan. Really, the Toyota and Honda are great vans who have their own advantages and disadvantages, but with the way the Honda drove and just the build quality we were sold on the Odyssey.
We went with the Elite and we pick it up tomorrow. I've never been a huge fan of minivans, but I actually must admit I enjoyed test driving it and it has a lot of the same technology as my 2008 TL Type-S.
Good luck to you and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near the city rating if you're doing a ton of city driving. Nothing really does that well and the "city" cycle the EPA uses isn't bumper-to-bumper Chicago traffic. We only saved 2mpg moving from a Tahoe to our '05 Ody and we really don't do much city driving. I don't put fuel economy into my buying factors when looking at vehicles this big. Odyssey isn't much lighter than a full-size ute so don't expect any physical miracles. We've settled on the Sienna if we're going the minivan route and either the Enclave or Acadia if going the SUV route. Not overly anxious to drop $40k-$50k on anything but the wife is getting antsy.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near the city rating if you're doing a ton of city driving. Nothing really does that well and the "city" cycle the EPA uses isn't bumper-to-bumper Chicago traffic. We only saved 2mpg moving from a Tahoe to our '05 Ody and we really don't do much city driving. I don't put fuel economy into my buying factors when looking at vehicles this big. Odyssey isn't much lighter than a full-size ute so don't expect any physical miracles. We've settled on the Sienna if we're going the minivan route and either the Enclave or Acadia if going the SUV route. Not overly anxious to drop $40k-$50k on anything but the wife is getting antsy.
Skinny, while most vehicles won't hit their mileage ratings, I've found that the US ratings (as opposed to Transport Canada) are reasonably close. I have driven several cars and trucks with fuel economy computers and even brand now off the lot, most readings come close to the US government rating safer an hour or so of city driving.

A 2005 Tahoe would use about $700/ year more gas than a 2005 Odyssey. If you compare a new Odyssey Touring to to a 2005 Tahoe, the annual fuel savings would be about $1,000 and gas prices are only going up.

If you can avoid the toys (i.e. skip the Touring), you can get into a new Odyssey in the low 30's and pocket $500/year in fuel savings.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Actually this Ody is the first vehicle I've owned that didn't hit/exceed the EPA ratings. We averaged 16-17 with the Tahoe and 18-19 with the Ody in our normal driving. The new one claims to be more fuel efficient...but who really knows. They claimed mine would get 28mpg back when it was new... ha ha ha.:mad:

So that's about $300 a year for us (15k miles) at $3/gallon. Hardly worth mentioning. Wife isn't going to skip on the toys either. It's not that I can't afford it...I just don't really like what's happened with vehicle prices. We paid $30,500 for our Ody 6 years ago. To get into the same vehicle we'd be spending $40k today and only gaining a few features.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Actually this Ody is the first vehicle I've owned that didn't hit/exceed the EPA ratings. We averaged 16-17 with the Tahoe and 18-19 with the Ody in our normal driving. The new one claims to be more fuel efficient...but who really knows. They claimed mine would get 28mpg back when it was new... ha ha ha.:mad:

So that's about $300 a year for us (15k miles) at $3/gallon. Hardly worth mentioning. Wife isn't going to skip on the toys either. It's not that I can't afford it...I just don't really like what's happened with vehicle prices. We paid $30,500 for our Ody 6 years ago. To get into the same vehicle we'd be spending $40k today and only gaining a few features.
So which Sienna are you looking at?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
So which Sienna are you looking at?
Limited AWD with just NAV if they actually build one that way. So far all we've found available is NAV/DVD. Toyota likes to say things are an option but don't always build them that way. Kids have probably watched the RES a dozen times in six years...they all like to do their own thing with Ipads, Ipods, etc. so if I can find one without it I'll pocket the coin.

·
Banned
728 Posts

The rating system in 2005 was not the same as it is now. As I mentioned, I've checked several vehicles on long test drives and they seem to hit the EPA fuel economy ratings (2010 and later rating standard).

In any event, I think you'll see significant saving sover a Tahoe unless you opt for a Hybrid type.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The rating system in 2005 was not the same as it is now. As I mentioned, I've checked several vehicles on long test drives and they seem to hit the EPA fuel economy ratings (2010 and later rating standard).

In any event, I think you'll see significant saving sover a Tahoe unless you opt for a Hybrid type.
My comparison to the Tahoe was simply comparing my long-term real-world experience between the two vehicles used in the same manner. Our 2002 5.3L 4x4 Tahoe was rated 14/17 and 2005 Ody was 20/28. Under the revised calculations, those would be 12/16 and 17/26 respectively (fueleconomy.gov). The Tahoe averaged 16-17 and would hit 20-21 on long highway trips. The ody averages 18-19 and has never exceeded 24mpg even on very long trips.

My original point was that in heavy traffic use (where an Expedition rated for 12 city is getting 10) the Ody is not going to hit it's city rating of 18-19 either. It will surely be better than a V8 but when you're doing nothing but idling and start/stop....there's not going to be a huge difference. Sorry I'm jaded...I was used to buying vehicles that met/exceeded their EPA ratings for many years and bought the Ody thinking it was able to defy physics some how.

I personally would be surprised beyond belief if I was to buy a 2011 Ody and could hit 27-28mpg on highway trips based on the experience with mine. I notice the 2011 Sienna is rated 24mpg and that's exactly what we got on the rental we had in Florida awhile back with some mixed driving. I have no doubt the VCM is creating the same nonsense readings from the EPA ratings as it did back in 2005. It does wonders for Honda's CAFE.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I personally would be surprised beyond belief if I was to buy a 2011 Ody and could hit 27-28mpg on highway trips based on the experience with mine.
I'm sure many other owners will tell you the same...I'm easily hitting 27mpg on highway trips. I've turned out 31mpg+ 2 separate times for strictly highway use. Over the 1232 miles of fill-ups since I bought the van, I've averaged 21.8mpg. Because of where I live, there is probably a higher ratio of highway miles in here than others, but these are real numbers.

·
Banned
728 Posts
My experience with a 2008 Sienna is pretty close to the EPA ratings. It uses 14.7 l/100km as opposed to the rating of 13.8. In the summer it exceeds its EPA rating. In any event, I doubt you'll find many agreeing that a Tahoe will get almost the same mileage as a new Odyssey or Sienna in the city. While mini vans have seen declining sales, when the gas proces heat up, the Tahoes and Expeditions of teh world are the first to sit on dealer lots looking for buyers.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
While mini vans have seen declining sales, when the gas proces heat up, the Tahoes and Expeditions of teh world are the first to sit on dealer lots looking for buyers.
Sure, and if you're someone that thinks the EPA rating on the Honda is realistic you might make that jump as well. We made the jump back in 2005 before prices really jumped (I buy fuel hedges as a part of my job...writing was on the wall). Of course as a family hauler the Ody works better although I now put a lot more family miles on my truck for towing. Either way Honda was (probably is still) fictitious because of how their VCM performs on the EPA slog. Yeah there's always a few anomalies to the data (the guy above hitting 31mpg) but reading the MPG thread for 4th gen most are not hitting anywhere near that. There were a few in the 3rd gen forum that would swear to getting 28mpg on the highway but 99% were lucky to see 24 unless they really tried to eek out the mpg.

Like I said...vehicles this size and weight (Ody is actually bigger than Tahoe...) really shouldn't get much cred when it comes to fuel economy. I learned my lesson thinking otherwise. We saved a whopping $300/year going from a 4x4 V8 to the Ody. I won't let fuel economy play into my decision again on which direction we go. The Acadia/Enclave options on our list are rated 17/24 and have AWD. Even if the Ody did get 28mpg....4mpg isn't enough to sway me. $450 a year at $3.50/gallon? Nah.

I just don't want to see someone bamboozled like I was back in 2005. Getting 16-17mpg with Tahoe and thinking we could surely average 26-27 with the Ody. Good joke.

·
Registered
786 Posts

Thats happening with other areas too. Just wait till the new tow rating standards get here in 2013. Toyota already adjusted theirs and the readings are quite interesting. Some like the 4runner didn't change at all, while the Sequoia lost 3,000 lbs. Its also interesting how the Landcruiser only lost 300 lbs, while the nearly identical lx570 lost 1500. Makes you wonder what else is "marketed".

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Makes you wonder what else is "marketed".
Toyota was pretty good at dimensions awhile back. I had a 2005 Tundra that according to Toyota specs was the same width on the outside as my 2003 Ram 3500. Inside was 5" or more difference. They were sitting next to each other in driveway one day and I laughed because you could tell it wasn't even close. Did a few measurements for fun and Toyota included the mirrors. The real difference was about 10" :rollingeyes:

·
Registered
197 Posts
To be sure, I'm talking about highway miles only. I hope nobody confuses me for saying I'm getting those numbers around town. The 21.8mpg is my city/highway mixed driving average over the life of the van so far.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
To be sure, I'm talking about highway miles only. I hope nobody confuses me for saying I'm getting those numbers around town. The 21.8mpg is my city/highway mixed driving average over the life of the van so far.
I understood your point. Was it long highway trips or just short runs of highway driving where you hit the 31? 21.8 sounds very reasonable for an average mix and I wouldn't doubt the new vans getting 1-2mpg better than the 3rd gen. I'm sure there are times we can hit very high mileage for certain stretches/legs of a trip...but a full tank of nothing but highway...24 has been our max on a vehicle rated for 28 (or 26 after revised EPA calcs). So I'm skeptical overall of the ratings these get.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I understood your point. Was it long highway trips or just short runs of highway driving where you hit the 31? 21.8 sounds very reasonable for an average mix and I wouldn't doubt the new vans getting 1-2mpg better than the 3rd gen. I'm sure there are times we can hit very high mileage for certain stretches/legs of a trip...but a full tank of nothing but highway...24 has been our max on a vehicle rated for 28 (or 26 after revised EPA calcs). So I'm skeptical overall of the ratings these get.
I've hit 27 on straight hwy just running cruise control(EX-L w/RES so only 5spd). It's true and can be done. But that was one long trip (pretty flat). 21-22 is my avg at the moment. Have about 3k miles now.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts