Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello yall, I just got myself a 96 Odyssey that has been well taken of. It was a gift from a friends dad. 242,000 miles on it. He no longer uses it because he just bought a Land Cruiser. The Odyssey will serve our family well. Glad to no longer be driving the 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee.(I wont get into that) I was totally shocked at how smooth this thing runs and so quiet and comfortable. I went ahead and changed the oil and used Mobil 1 high mileage full synthitic, changed out the transmission fluid, changed spark plugs, and wires, flushed radiator, and added a bottle of seafoam to the 1/2 full tank of gas.

Ok, my first question is concerning the spark plugs. When I took the old wires out of the holes, each hole and tubes had some oil in them. As I changed each one I used a rag and got as much of the oil out of the hole and then took the plug out. I changed out the spark plugs and put on new wires. The last couple of days I have been reading on here and found out it was most likely the spark plug tube seals on the underside of the valve cover. I watched some videos and read up on it and today I went and got a valve cover gasket kit. I got home and to my surprise each tube and hole was bone dry! ??? How could this be. The holes weren't slap full but there was a good amount before.

Another question I got is the driver window and the rear passenger motors seemed to be faulty. I went to a local u-pull-it and found a 97 odyssey and got 2 passenger side window motors and a rear driver side motor.( I thought it would work on the front driver side). I got home and started on the rear passenger. Before I installed the motor with window I plugged it in to see if it would work with the switch still plugged in. It only worked in one direction. I took the panel off the front passenger side(window works fine) and tried it out on that motor and it worked both ways like it was suppose to. Then I went back to rear passenger with my volt meter and when I press up I get 12 volts and when I press down I get -12 like I believe I'm suppose too. Next I went to the front driver side and took the panel off (motor had been taken out prior to me getting this van) and the available plug in was wider with 4 prongs instead of two, so the rear driver motor I had wouldn't work in the front. So I put everything back the way it was on all 3 doors and stopped there. Could the reason the rear passenger motor only working in one direction be something in the swithches in the front drivers side. Seems like I had read about other cars with similar problems and it went back to the front driver side.

Believe me these are minor things compared to what I went through the past 10 years with the Cherokee. I will be glad to get rid of that piece. I really am liking this Odyssey. It is so well built and drives smooth and quiet, and is very comfortable. I'm happy as all get out.

I would be very grateful of any advice.

Mike from South Carolina

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Ok, my first question is concerning the spark plugs. When I took the old wires out of the holes, each hole and tubes had some oil in them. As I changed each one I used a rag and got as much of the oil out of the hole and then took the plug out. I changed out the spark plugs and put on new wires. The last couple of days I have been reading on here and found out it was most likely the spark plug tube seals on the underside of the valve cover. I watched some videos and read up on it and today I went and got a valve cover gasket kit.
If the seals are bad they will leak oil into the spark plug tube. If they are installed incorrectly, they will also leak.
Usually it is not the upper spark plug tube seal that leaks, it's the lower one (rocker arm seal) which is a bit trickier to install as you have to remove the upper valve train assembly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
congratulations. take care of these good work horses and they will take care of you and give you a very surprisingly loyal and highly probable trouble free performance for quite some time. The beauties of these boxes is that so many parts and pieces are interchangeable or available in the market as well from most accord models of similar generations i.e. engines, and parts of platform. what will lack in power for hauling/loading, will be much made up by it's true build quality and overall around versatile use and performance.

So much knowledge available to be shared here on this forum. I am sure most of the forum members will have all if not most your questions and doubts clarified.
Congratulations again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
@riverdank - I own a 1996 Odyssey for 8 years now. It has 170k on it. We bought it with 66k on it.

I also have the "oil in the holes" thing. I'm embarassed to say the issue has existed for many years. When I had the timing belt done, I expected the guy to install the gasket correctly and fix the problem, but that was not the case. My plug wires are sometimes real wet, but other times are 'bone dry' as you say. Could be the leak around that gasket is affected by temperature and driving conditions. NOT as much in the winter months. Sorry, I know nothing about the window motors as I've had no issues yet [knock wood].

We had some friends who purchased a 1996 Ody before we found ours 8 years ago. They bought it with 210k miles on it, took care of it POORLY and drove it hard, but still got 290k out of it before the transmission exploded. I was shocked at how tough that poor van was.

I'm buying a 2003 Ody soon, and will have a tough time selling my 1996. It is in excellent condition, aside from a "low idling" problem I will be working on this weekend and have opened a thread on here about.

Good luck,
Chaz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Venezeo, thanks for the reply. Its really nice to have a van with parts easy to attain. We have a really good u-pull-it close by so finding most parts shouldn't be that hard. Before getting her I never new how tough, simple, and well made these things are.

Chaz, good to know how rough your friend was on his van and still got almost 300k on it. I also wonder how the "oil in the holes" affect the overall performance of the motor.

Such a great site y'all have here. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
134 Posts
the switch is just dirty, you gotta open it up and clean the contact on the switch. you will notice it is black from years of build up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey antbo, are you talking about the rear passenger side switch is dirty. Whenever I tested it I got 12 volts in one direction and -12 in the other. How would I go about opening it up? Also am I correct that the front driver side motor has the wider 4 prong plug. That was the only available plug not hooked up. That motor was already taken out by the previous owner and thrown away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts