Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyones tranny do that?
Seems the rest of them are fine but 1st to 2nd is bit rough.
It makes move my head forward little bit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 99 EX does this on 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. The dealer says firm shifts are "normal for Hondas since they don't use a planetary gearset", but I've driven a Civic that didn't exhibit this tendency. I think the "clunks" are becoming more pronounced, too. Come the van's August tuneup, I'm taking the service manager for a little drive...

Mike

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I dropped off my Ody this morning for it's oil & filter, I took the service manager for a road test to show him the 2nd to 3rd gear upshift problem. Under moderate acceleration, this shift occurs at about 3000 RPM. In my Ody, there is a 500 RPM surge before the shift occurs. 3rd gear then engages abruptly, like an old buddy sneaking up behind you and slapping you in the back. While the service manager noted this behaviour, he said that he would need to compare my Ody to another 1999 Ody to confirm that this is not normal for this year. According to him the 1999 and 2001 transmissions differ somehow. "Um... it never did this before, bud! What? You don't believe your own senses?"

A co-worker, and fellow Ody owner, drove mine and agreed that this behaviour is very bizarre.

The service department has been pretty good lately on warranty issues, but I want to cover my 6 and have a good comeback in case he denies the existence of a problem.

HELP!

Mike

·
Registered
169 Posts
The dealer is going to replace the transmission in my Ody under warranty. It's more cost effective to replace the entire transmission than replace individual components. I should be getting a new one in a little over 2 weeks.

I'm happy with their warranty policy, but not the fact that the transmission needs to be replaced after 39000 km!

Mike

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mclarke:
When I dropped off my Ody this morning for it's oil & filter, I took the service manager for a road test to show him the 2nd to 3rd gear upshift problem. Under moderate acceleration, this shift occurs at about 3000 RPM. In my Ody, there is a 500 RPM surge before the shift occurs. 3rd gear then engages abruptly, like an old buddy sneaking up behind you and slapping you in the back. While the service manager noted this behaviour, he said that he would need to compare my Ody to another 1999 Ody to confirm that this is not normal for this year. According to him the 1999 and 2001 transmissions differ somehow. "Um... it never did this before, bud! What? You don't believe your own senses?"

A co-worker, and fellow Ody owner, drove mine and agreed that this behaviour is very bizarre.

The service department has been pretty good lately on warranty issues, but I want to cover my 6 and have a good comeback in case he denies the existence of a problem.

HELP!

Mike
</font>

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My mechanic--whom I'd trust with my son's life, and frequently do--told me, out of the blue, that he hopes they've fixed the transmission issues by now.

He said, "You could chirp tires on the 1-2 upshift." He said they have a history of some problems and of very firm shifting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
My mechanic--whom I'd trust with my son's life, and frequently do--told me, out of the blue, that he hopes they've fixed the transmission issues by now.

He said, "You could chirp tires on the 1-2 upshift." He said they have a history of some problems and of very firm shifting.
</font>
Adam,

Who does your Ody work? Scott Robinson Honda is right around the corner from me (they were pretty good with my '82 Accord), but it never hurts to have a backup plan.

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

Coming up: Foglights,CD Changer,Glove Box Light

·
Registered
169 Posts
Update:

The service manager doubts that a replacement transmission will arrive for another 4 weeks! Maybe the entire transmission production ends up at the factory. "It's safe to drive until then", he says. Uh-huh. I think I'll stay close to home for a while. BTW, the problem was diagnosed as being slippage in the 3rd gear clutch pack.

If there is a mechanical difference between 1999 and 2001 transmissions, I hope I get one with the latest revisions, and not a rebuilt 1999 gearbox with the same mechincal configuration.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mclarke (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mclarke:
Update:

The service manager doubts that a replacement transmission will arrive for another 4 weeks! Maybe the entire transmission production ends up at the factory. "It's safe to drive until then", he says. Uh-huh. I think I'll stay close to home for a while. BTW, the problem was diagnosed as being slippage in the 3rd gear clutch pack.

If there is an mechanical difference between 1999 and 2001 transmissions, I hope I get one with the latest revisions, and not a rebuilt 1999 gearbox with the same mechincal configuration

Mike
</font>

This is what gets me about automatic transmissions. We're talking about a harsh 1st to 2nd gear shift and they think it's a problem with the "3rd" gear clutch pack??

I'd be surprised if there was any significant mechanical difference between the new transmissions and the older ones. It seems to me that a change of materials used to make the clutch plates or a revalving of the valve body itself would be more likely but that's just a guess on my part.

For now, I'm just counting myself lucky. I've got no complaints about my transmission.

Good luck on this one folks.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 08-31-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts