Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I was just given a poorly maintained 1997 Ody. Most work that my brother did was in repair and he doesn't remember what he had done (I think that he doesn't want to remember.
I've put about $1700 in new brakes (everything except the lines and master cyl).
An upper control arm, 2 ball joints, stabilizer links, 2 new tires, an alignment, and an oil change.
Although I have alot of questions the biggy question is this:
It has 115,000 miles on it, same engine (2.2) and tranny.
He doesn't think that he did the timing belt/ water pump.
My mechanic (Nick) said that if the belt breaks it will just shut down the engine
and no permanent damage would be done but I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is correct. Like any of us Nick is occasionally wrong, and although I normally would just do it (for under $500) but don't have the money right now. Does anyone know (for sure) if a broken belt is fatal to this engine or as Nick says "not a big deal?" Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well if a timing belt breaks while driving it could damage the motor. bent valves etc. Thats what most people say. I have had civics timing belt break while driving and both motors were fine.

These motors are low compression so I guess maybe thats why nothing happened. If it was a high compression built motor it might fvck it up.
At 115k I think its time to get a new timing belt they only cost around 30 bucks .:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but $30 is for the belt. I have some health issues that limit my ability to do this myself if requires a certain level of physical exertion. I don't think that I found a YouTube presentation on doing the 2.2 myself, any further ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you search under accord timing belt replacement you should find something. I found this tutorial for the f23 and found it useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts