Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to minivans, so forgive a dumb question -here's what I don't understand.

I have two kids in car seats, but we occasionally hauls some older kids or adults who would want to get in the third row. How do they get to the third row if the two captains chairs have car seats in them? Is there enough room to squeeze between the doors and the seats to the third row, because I can't believe you can fold them for entry with a car seat in them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only way is to remove the middle seat so there is an access through the center to the third row and or move either of the side chairs to the middle so people can pass through the side..

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
We do the same as above - remove the middle/plus-one seat and there is plenty of room for you to get to the back seat through the middle when you have two car seats.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have the PlusOne seat removed and the middle-row (front to back) passenger-side seat installed in the "middle" (left to right) position. This creates a passageway to the back on the right side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
461 Posts
colnago1331 said:
We have the PlusOne seat removed and the middle-row (front to back) passenger-side seat installed in the "middle" (left to right) position. This creates a passageway to the back on the right side of the vehicle.
Remove plus one, slide the passenger side 2nd row captains chair to the middle, then people can enter the 3rd row from the passenger side.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would suggest moving the passenger side second row seat to the middle position. It makes it much easier for people to get into the back from the passnger side sliding door.

Although my wife likes having the open space in the middle to be able to crawl back to the third row when the baby was back there.

Since I have an LX, never had to worry about removing th PlusOne, we always had an opening.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my bad - I was asking about the 2011 - I don't think you can do either slide into mid position or take seat out with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
hitchens97 said:
my bad - I was asking about the 2011 - I don't think you can do either slide into mid position or take seat out with it.
And how did you figure that out?

·
Registered
30 Posts
hitchens97 said:
Actually, you appear to be partly right.

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/

Selecting the "photo" 11th from the left across the bottom lets you watch a "video" showing various seat positions for the middle row. It looks like you can remove the PlusOne seat so as to create a center passageway but it does not appear that you can then slide the right-side seat to the middle as the anchoring points in the floor don't appear to be set up for that configuration.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well thats bordering on an issue discussed earlier on here. In the current model the best way of doing this set up is to have a center isle between the two captains chairs. But in the new design, this sort of design will be possible but not all that practical for people without child seats as each seat lost an armrest. I can see a second armrest appearing at somepoint over the vehicles run. I can remember in 08 when the loss of the outboard cupholder was a big concern.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I thought the 2011 was able to fit 3 kids seats in the second row by "extending" the sides seats outboard. (so says the video)

If this is the case, can't you do the same thing, but remove one of the outboard seats entirely?

Looks like that would create a pathway along the side the van equivalent to moving the passenger captain chair over in the previous years and still get two kids seats in there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I'd prefer to do is get rid of the middle console and push the two captain seats together, but I'm not sure you can do that with this version.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We considered pushing the seats closer together. In the 2007 only the the passenger side can slide to the middle by the way, not the driver's side.

But that would mean that we would need to get rid of the center console which the kids do use, and also putting in the kid on the passenger side was very hard (leaning into the car). So we have the 2 car seats in the center row, and since we have the Touring , the center console is small enough for anyone to climb over if needed. The 5th passenger is rare enough that the console does not seem to be annoying enough to remove permanently.

·
Registered
778 Posts
wompem said:
I thought the 2011 was able to fit 3 kids seats in the second row by "extending" the sides seats outboard. (so says the video)

If this is the case, can't you do the same thing, but remove one of the outboard seats entirely?

Looks like that would create a pathway along the side the van equivalent to moving the passenger captain chair over in the previous years and still get two kids seats in there.
I don't know for sure on that, but there are not 3 captains chairs all together, and I don't really think the middle one could serve on its own. I think it still operates similar to the way the current one does by simply "bridging" the gap and making a bench seat where a portion of each out board seat must contribute to the middle. I could be wrong, but thats what I get from the videos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts