Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a bit tight on cash, but tioght enough to risk my kids lives...

I want to buy some snow tires. One person told me that I only need to buy 2 tires to put on the front.

Anyone got any experience / thoughts about this ?

Thank.

·
Registered
72 Posts
From all I've read you need to get 4 snow rated tires. The reason being that the rear end will break loose while the front grabs. It makes for an unsafe condition.

We just put 4 general altimax artics on our van yesterday. The wife is the main driver and she says there is a huge diff from the tires that came with the van. If she can tell then that's a real positive. Braking is where she notices the biggest improvement so far.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Fishy, I understand money being tight, it is for a lot of us. But...spring for all 4. I had two on our fronts only about 5 years ago, lightly braked going downhill and started doing 360's. Filled my pants. :eek:
Bought matching pair for the rear an hour later.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'd take a cheaper set on all 4 over a better set on just the front. Agree...braking is a big deal!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put 4 General Altimax tires on my wife's van four days ago. I took it out during the near blizzard we had two days ago and WHAT a DIFFERENCE!!! The van is like a tank in the snow. The regular tires we have on the van are fairly new but are awful in the snow. I highly recommend the snows.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Altimax Artics

I agree 100%. I've had the van out purposely trying to spin the tires, slide etc... all the fun winter driving offers. But these tires grip the road like it's summer.

We never had winter tires before but I'm now sold and would recommend the Generals to anyone who asks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The OEM tires suck. I was driving at 5 to 10 mph during the snow storm. The accumulated snow on the road probably like 4 to 6 in, and when I brake on stop sign, the van continue to slide. There was a income truck too, luckily he was able to stop. Scary the sh1t out of me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts