Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll!

We have a 2004 Ody and I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone here can answer.

First: what would make the rear end roar on one side? We had the tires replaced about a month ago and now there's a lot of racket coming from the back end and it sounds to me like it's only on the left side. Could a wheel bearing be going?

Second: When we bought the Ody, it had 17,000 miles on it. It now has 160,000 plus. Dear hubby has never changed the transmission fluid. Should he?? We've heard "yes" from some folks and "no" from others. We were told that changing it now could screw up the motor. Any advice?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
447 Posts
(first) The rear noise could be berrings, but also could be tires or brakes. A mechanic
could probably tell with the car on a lift.

(second) Not sure it's the hubby's fault here! The owner's manual is in english and says
when you should take it to a mechanic to change the tranny fluid. The last time I was in english class, women were also REQUIRED to be in that classroom! :)
Personally I would risk changing the fluid now. It may screw up the tranny, but I certainally wouldn't listen to the folks that say it will "screw up the motor".

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Like he says ^^^^

Hubby can jack up the offending rear wheel and spin it. If it makes noise while spinning then something in there has got issues whether it's the brakes or bearing. If smooth and quiet then it's most likely a bad tire. You can try swapping the front tire with the back and see if it moves. Ody's are very particular about tires, they seem to like Michelin's best. My last set of non Michelin tires went the whole life of the tires with one thumping. the new Michelin's are nice and quiet.

Do a 3x drain and fill using Honda DW1 or one of the other high end synthetic tranny oils mentioned on here, do not have it flushed. Leaving it be would be prudent on some types of transmissions but not so much on the Ody. When the clutch packs wear out you're done no matter what and old oil will make them overheat quicker plus your bearings will get crappy lubrication from the old oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, yeah, I know it's partly my fault but I really never thought about it much (and I've probably read more of the owner's manual than hubby has -- I'm usually the one who has to look things up for him).

Anyway, about the rear-end -- it's usually quiet at slower speeds and only really makes a roaring sound when we get up to highway speed.

Thanks for the info & advice about our Ody -- hoping it makes it for several more thousand miles as the only other vehicle we have is an ancient (1982) Chevy S-10 pickup that ain't firing on all it's cylinders (and it gets babied).:DD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts