Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we have a 2019 Odyssey Elite. Our van is at Honda service right now so I can’t remember off the top of my head but I think we are near 50,000 miles. We have taken several long road trips with the van.

So we took the van in because we started getting a clunking sound from the front while driving down the road or hitting bumps. You could even slightly feel it in the steering wheel. This occurred all of a sudden one night after going over a speed bump, albeit very slowly. This speed bump is at my son’s school and my wife has to drive over it every day, but she takes it very slow over it. I took it slow the night the clunking sound started too.

So Honda calls us today and says they think it’s the sway bar. It is covered under warranty. They also recommended a cabin and engine air filter change. The filters seemed reasonable. We live in a high pollen/dust area so it wouldn’t shock me those need changed. They also recommended a transmission fluid change. Is that standard procedure at this point?

They also said we need new tires. This one kinda shocked me. I haven’t visually looked at the tire tread lately but they told my wife they are pretty bad. They are the original stock Bridgestone. Is it normal for tires on the Odyssey to be shot after just two years? That seems like a really short time for tires. Also, they quoted us $680 for the Coopers because they have a buy 3 get 1 free. But the Bridgestone would be $908. Are Coopers good for an Odyssey or is it best to stick with Bridgestone if we decide to change them out?

Just want to make sure these maintenance items are normal for an Odyssey, one that’s only slightly over 2 years old. Thanks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sounds more like a tie rod in regards to the clunk. But if Honda thinks it’s a broken sway bar link, let them replace it under warranty. It would be surprising if you broke the sway bar itself, as that never happens.

If you got 50k out of the original tires, you did very well, and it’s not a scam to say you need new tires.

The air and cabin filter are really easy to do, LMK if you need a video, as I’m changing them out again on our 2018 Elite.

Transmission fluid change is also a must at 50k. I do it on all of my vehicles at this mileage.
I wouldn’t get the original EL440 tires. Are you a Costco member, if so, the Michelin Defender LTX is a great option. Do you know the model of the Cooper they quoted you for?

·
Registered
372 Posts
50,000 miles on the original tires is a lot. At 27,000 miles on my 2018, my tires were measuring around 5/32” so probably could have made it over 30,000 before recommendation to change it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
50,000 miles on the original tires is a lot. At 27,000 miles on my 2018, my tires were measuring around 5/32” so probably could have made it over 30,000 before recommendation to change it.
Typically OEM tires last up to 60K with no issues, if maintained properly.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Typically OEM tires last up to 60K with no issues, if maintained properly.
Typically? That's not my experience. I rarely get more than 40-50 out of a set of tires. All tire companies lie about their mileage ratings.

Reactions: antares119

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just talked to our service advisor. Our Odyssey had 32,200 miles. They say our Bridgestones that came with the car are shot. She said she wasn’t a fan of the Bridgestones and they tend to wear down fast. They currently have a bug 3 get 1 free tire deal. They are recommending the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. Any thoughts on these tires? I’m normally a Michelin fan but they don’t have any in stock and they’re significantly more expensive

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CS5 Ultra Touring
Sounds more like a tie rod in regards to the clunk. But if Honda thinks it’s a broken sway bar link, let them replace it under warranty. It would be surprising if you broke the sway bar itself, as that never happens.

If you got 50k out of the original tires, you did very well, and it’s not a scam to say you need new tires.

The air and cabin filter are really easy to do, LMK if you need a video, as I’m changing them out again on our 2018 Elite.

Transmission fluid change is also a must at 50k. I do it on all of my vehicles at this mileage.
I wouldn’t get the original EL440 tires. Are you a Costco member, if so, the Michelin Defender LTX is a great option. Do you know the model of the Cooper they quoted you for?

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
You don't need to buy tires at the dealer. Likely you're going to pay more, anyway, even with a buy 3 get one free. Go get some other estimates first. You can always go back.

Reactions: Azdude

·
Registered
486 Posts
If it’s $680 installed for the Cooper CS5, seems fair. Is it the tire I would choose for my van, probably not because I’m the Midwest. It is rated for 70k miles for the H rated tire.

That being said, I’d look out for some Black Friday deals, you do not have to purchase you’re tires at the dealership.

I just looked, and Michelin is doing a $120 Visa gift card rebate when you buy 4 tires.

A set of 4 Michelin Defender LTX installed with tax is $853.12 in Ohio at Costco. So $733.12 if you factor the gift card. That’s only $53 more for a superior tire on all four corners.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I rotate and keep an eye on the pressures but likely my driving style leads the tires to wear quicker haha. I’d be shocked if these OEMs would be over 2/32” at 60k miles.

To me the only reason I’d buy tires from a dealer is to take advantage of a loaner which doesn’t apply with Honda. Tire places usually are cheaper, offer free rotations (although it can be cumbersome to do an additional service visit instead of just one), and can offer road hazard insurance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe our service rep said these are coming with 2 year of road hazard warranty. It may sound silly, but our Honda dealership is a 40 minute drive for us. I normally go with Discount Tire, but strangely they don’t do alignments. So my understanding is you normally want to have an alignment done when you get new tires. I don’t know of any independent or chain places that I can trust with alignments. I usually trust the dealer to handle certain things. My wife and I didn’t want to drive 40 mins each way just to get an alignment done for tires I would buy somewhere else. It’s an all day process sometimes to go to the dealership. So we figured as a matter of convenience to just have everything knocked out at once while it is at the dealership. I know that’s probably silly to most people, but time/convenience is a factor for us.

I rotate and keep an eye on the pressures but likely my driving style leads the tires to wear quicker haha. I’d be shocked if these OEMs would be over 2/32” at 60k miles.

To me the only reason I’d buy tires from a dealer is to take advantage of a loaner which doesn’t apply with Honda. Tire places usually are cheaper, offer free rotations (although it can be cumbersome to do an additional service visit instead of just one), and can offer road hazard insurance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that price was without tax. Plus the alignment service was like $120 more on top of that. I’m in the mid-south so we don’t have to deal with snow usually. Occasionally ice storms. Very rarely snow. But I’m from Ohio originally and I know how to drive. Ha ha. Yes these are the H speed tires that are supposed to be 70,000 on the tread. From the research I did, the tires get a lot of praise for how they handle. Traction is supposed to be really good. The most common gripe I saw was they wear down a lot faster than the 70,000 tread warranty. Seems like a lot of people were only getting half of that. I told my wife we will go with these. If we get two years out of them that gives me more time to do some research to see what tires and what tire place would be best to deal with going forward after this set.

If it’s $680 installed for the Cooper CS5, seems fair. Is it the tire I would choose for my van, probably not because I’m the Midwest. It is rated for 70k miles for the H rated tire.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I’ve been looking more online about certain maintenance procedures. I kind of feel like Honda was up selling us on unnecessary services. I mean, a transmission fluid change on a car with only 30,200 miles? Is that normal? I can’t even recall the mx light being on for anything like that. The air/engine filters I didn’t really question because we live in a high pollen/dust area and they haven’t been changed in the two years we’ve had the car. But damn...a transmission fluid flush at 30,000 on a really modern vehicle? Was that a bullshit upcharge?

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
No, the transmission fluid change is highly recommended by 30k miles. All they're going to do though is drain and fill it once. Yes, it's an up sell but it's definitely worth doing. There is nothing wrong with an up sell if it's genuinely needed. If you're not going to do it your self I'd definitely have it done.

The dealer isn't the place I'd go for an alignment either but if you're limited then you do what you need to do.

Reactions: Azdude

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok phew. That makes me feel a little better then. I didn’t know a fluid change was done at such a small interval. Is that just an initial thing or is this something that is usually done on the Odyssey every 30,000 miles?
No, the transmission fluid change is highly recommended by 30k miles. All they're going to do though is drain and fill it once. Yes, it's an up sell but it's definitely worth doing. There is nothing wrong with an up sell if it's genuinely needed. If you're not going to do it your self I'd definitely have it done.

The dealer isn't the place I'd go for an alignment either but if you're limited then you do what you need to do.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Normal at 30k. If it was mine, Id do one drain and fill every other oil change. That's what I do on my 08 and what many do here. The trans fluid on these vans gets quite hot and breaks down faster than Honda originally anticipated. A few years ago Honda changed the interval from closer to every 50k to every 30k. Your maintenance minder will tell you when it's due but, again, I prefer to do a drain and fill every other oil change. It's very simple to do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I believe our service rep said these are coming with 2 year of road hazard warranty. It may sound silly, but our Honda dealership is a 40 minute drive for us. I normally go with Discount Tire, but strangely they don’t do alignments. So my understanding is you normally want to have an alignment done when you get new tires. I don’t know of any independent or chain places that I can trust with alignments. I usually trust the dealer to handle certain things. My wife and I didn’t want to drive 40 mins each way just to get an alignment done for tires I would buy somewhere else. It’s an all day process sometimes to go to the dealership. So we figured as a matter of convenience to just have everything knocked out at once while it is at the dealership. I know that’s probably silly to most people, but time/convenience is a factor for us.
Ah, totally understand in that situation and would do the same. As they say time is money!

Reactions: bgaviator

·
Registered
509 Posts
The maintenance minder is the Bible regarding when services should be completed. At $40+ a quart, a drain and fill every other oil change would be expensive!

Also, someone needs to explain to me how it is easy to do a drain and fill on these transmissions. A Honda scan tool is required to get the fluid at the correct level.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Also, someone needs to explain to me how it is easy to do a drain and fill on these transmissions. A Honda scan tool is required to get the fluid at the correct level.
Yes, to do a "level check" om the 9spd trans you do need a scan tool to know when the fluid is at the correct temperature. On the 10spd that's not a requirement.

If you're just going to do a drain and fill you simply drain out the old fluid into a container and then measure what you pull out. Then, simply add back in the same amount you took out. The two transmissions are different in how you service them but it's not difficult...a bit more difficult than the 2017 and older models as there is no dipstick hole to put a funnel in. It may not be for every DIY'er but it's easily a DIY job.

As for the cost of the fluid, yes, the newer fluid is more expensive. Type 2.0 fluid for the 10spd is about $10/qt at Bernardiparts.com. The type 3.1 fluid for the 9spd is $26/qt at Bernardi. It's not cost prohibitive. If you want to change it less often, that's obviously up to you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts