Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the new 2012 ex-l and wanted to get 20" wheels on them. From my research they recommend 40 offset for 20x8.5 wheels. Unfortunately the ones I like only come with a 35 offset. Can I add 5mm spacers to compensate? Has anyone tried this. I read that there is rubbing on the rear when loaded with 20x8.5 w/ 35 offset. Is the rubbing on the inside or fender side? Will adding 5mm spacer cause rubbing on the fender side?
If anyone can help...much appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just did a search on tirerack.com and it appears that the lowest offset they offer in a 20x8.5 wheel is 40. The lower the offset, the farther the wheel will stick out from the hub (for example, a 35 offset will stick out farther than a 40 offset). A spacer will only make matters worse. Most likely, a 35 offset wheel will rub against the fender. You could roll your fenders to get a bit more clearance, but it might not be enough to stop the tire from rubbing altogether.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would avoid spacers as the purpose of spacers is to compensate for incorrect wheel fitment. Since you are purchasing new wheels, you have the opportunity to purchase the correct size. With the number of wheel manufacturers out, perhaps it is possible to find a similar style wheel in the correct width and offset. In my view, it is more important to get the correct fitment than having the perfect style. In a perfect world, the wheels would be one in the same but sometimes we have to compromise especially since we are driving minivans :) When I purchased my new wheels, I had a certain style in mind but was open to variations. I ended up with a wheel that was very close to my initial style with the correct fitment and am very happy!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sure, attached are some pics of my 3rd gen Odyssey. Should be same fitment as your 4th gen. I went with 20x9 +42mm offset. I wanted a bit wider wheel for the aggressive/wider stance. I also lowered it 1.5" in the front and 1.2" in the rear with H&R springs and do not rub at all. clearance is very tight but i should be fine. worst case, i'll roll the fenders a tad for additional clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sure, attached are some pics of my 3rd gen Odyssey. Should be same fitment as your 4th gen. I went with 20x9 +42mm offset. I wanted a bit wider wheel for the aggressive/wider stance. I also lowered it 1.5" in the front and 1.2" in the rear with H&R springs and do not rub at all. clearance is very tight but i should be fine. worst case, i'll roll the fenders a tad for additional clearance.
Very nice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
^ WOW! I'm still liking the design on the 3rd gen. I like the straight lines on the windows. The thunder bolt design on the 4th is some getting used to.

·
Registered
174 Posts
thanks, bigboat. yes, i also love the looks of the bbs style. initially wanted to go with a lip but couldn't find the correct fitment, but i have grown to really like the full face look since it makes the wheels look bigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts