Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister's wants to buy a car from her friend. Its a 2000 Lexus with 300 miles on it. Basicly it just sat in their garage. I'm fearful it may need some work dispite it's new like appearance. Tires, timing belt and AC seals come to mind.

She says Blue book says $3500 they want $6000 I think she said it's a LS 300 Lexus.

My question is what should she be concerned with on this purchase? Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would ask if the engine was run on a regular basis (once a month). If not, it might be seized, depending on the last time it was turned over. I would also question the condition of the gasoline, 20 year old gas is not good for a vehicle.

Don't try to start the vehicle if it hasn't been run recently. If possible, find a reputable mechanic and have them take a look at the vehicle. He (or she) should try to turn the engine by hand with the right tools. If all that goes well, then look at the price.

First of all, it's either an ES 300 or LS 400. The ES300 is front wheel drive, the LS 400 is rear wheel drive. Depending on your location that might make a difference (driving in snow).

Not knowing your location, I used Kelly Blue Book pricing based on my area (Mid-Atlantic).

An ES 300 with 300 miles would be:
Low - $4,651; Mid - $5,219; High - $5786. Typical sales are running around $5,422

An LS 400 with 300 miles would be:
Low - $4,662; Mid - $5,254; High - $5,845. Typical sales are running around $5,922

The LS is typically running around $500 more than the ES. $3,000 is a bit under-priced for a car with low mileage.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Lexus has a stellar reputation, but approach this car with caution.

Fluids are 20 years old and far past their service life. The cooling system could be corroded and so the engine could overheat (if it runs) even after the coolant is changed. The master cylinder or the calipers could be corroded and seized.

As you mentioned, anything rubber would need replacing - cooling system hoses, flexible brake lines, drive belts, seals, etc.

If you are a DIYer, that would certainly make it more attractive, but be prepared for a lot of work.

Ignore the enticing low miles. Weigh your decision to purchase on the car's age. Cars are best preserved by driving them, not by keeping them in storage.

Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
As long as car is serviced, she should buy it. But sitting in one place for that many years without moving isn't good either, it might still needs work to do, sometimes even more than a car with 100k miles on it. Get a toyota/lexus mechanic and ask them to inspect the car. Lexus is known for their reliability, if you buy it for $6000, do all the maintenance and make sure it is safe to drive you can probably resell it for $15000 :) there are some people who like stuff like that and ready to pay for that

1 - 4 of 4 Posts