Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
200,000+ miles, original transmission

Yesterday, at 11:49 AM EST traveling north on I-81 in Virginia, at 65 MPH and mile marker 275.6, our 2000 Odyssey LX hit 200,000 miles :zoom:

We were heading from home to Massanutten, VA, then to Philadelphia, then back to home in North Jersey. As of now, the Ody has 200,384 miles. The trip was about 400 miles with our family of 5 and luggage. Our highest MPG was 30.1.

Original transmission and still going strong :)

I know there are Odysseys out there with more miles, but I'm not sure if they're on their original transmissions. Just felt like sharing! :)

I do have a lot of pictures of the odometer as it rolled 200,000. I'll try to upload them soon as I can.

·
Registered
22 Posts
CONGRATS!
Our '03 has 125k with an original tranny. I sincerely hope it makes it to 200k. With all the negative tranny press, it's good to hear good news about a tranny.
I see a lot of gen. 2s on the road. I hope the "horror stories" you read about(especially here) are misleading, as I hope the "small" number of people with transmission problems find this site due to their problems.

:joy:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I knew someone could make it to that mark on their orig tranny. I also know someone who has 170k on their orig tranny, and it shifts like new and ours has 89k on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
awesome i am really glad to hear this. I have an "03 im reaa
lly trying to get to 200,[email protected] 102000 thanks for giving us hope.

What kind of maint. did you do to get this mileage.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Good to hear this. You should put the 200k picture as you user icon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We've got 205,000 on our 01 and it's on it's third transmission...

Some trannies seem to be real good from the factory. Others leave a lot to be desired (like ours! lol).

Congrats!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got 190k+ on my 03 right now on the original tranny. Know someone though that has less miles and on his third tranny though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 102,00and the original tranny. I have a magnefine filter coming for it that I will install and see how many miles I can get from this tranny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our 2000 Ody EX, reached 200,000 miles a couple weeks ago. A week later a young person hit the rear end (fortunately hardly damaging a thing). We had to replace the tranny at 90k miles, hope it is good for another 50 K. Guess it is timing belt change time. Anyone know what else I should do to keep it running a couple more years?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow, nice to hear that. My 04 has 109k and had the 2nd gear recall done by the PO at 87k. No issues whatsoever, and I'm glad also to see that others are doing well. I was terrified of the tranny issues also but took it as was stated above - you rarely hear of the good news, only the bad. I'm hoping also that what someone said in a different thread (that the majority of the issues were corrected for 04) is true, but I'm very happy to hear some of you guys with earlier gen-2 cars are also running many trouble-free miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They tell me, no jpeg, no proof. This is my 2000 Ody reaching 200K. People tell me to sell it because the repairs will get expensive soon. I'm tempted to try to reach 300K. A new tranny, timing chain, engine mounts, bearings, catalytic converter, muffler and misc should cost under $6K and keep me going another 2 - 3 years, right? Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
2003, 224,000 miles, same tranny and ac...

so far..
Just did the first timing belt change (yes, we were fortunate, had tried several times, but could not get the harmonic balancer bolt out...) and some ac servicing (orings and cleanout/recharge) and now doing the PS pump... hopefully that is is for a while, just did all brakes with new calipers on front, rotors all around...
runs great..
amsoil change every 25000
trans fluid change with amsoil every time I change the oil
brake fluid resevoir gets emptied and refilled with fresh periodically (it helps a little bit...)

Can't take a pic at the moment, you will have to trust me on it... first 125000 was in 2.5 years of Lansing to Detroit commutes...

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
First timing belt change at 224k miles?

Knowseeker, do I understand correctly that your 2003 had the timing belt changed for the first time at 224k? That may be a record. What did the belt look like, any visible cracking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Woot! Just passed 200,000 in our '02 last week. Alas the alternator decided that it had had enough just afterward :( To be honest, we've had the thing so long I can't remember if we replaced our tranny or not, I'm inclined to say not as I have no recollection of the event.

We are currently mulling it's fate. We have a couple of cross country summer trips coming up and to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm completely trusting her to be able to hold up. As I typically have very few vacation opportunities with the family, even having to worry about such a thing is really not worth it, so there may be a new 2011 (or something else entirely, who knows) in the immediate future.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Congrats, bitWrangler. Over "only" 100k on our 2002 & 2003, but we mostly do city miles, and very short drives. I've got hope for the magic 200!

OF

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
We are currently mulling it's fate. We have a couple of cross country summer trips coming up and to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm completely trusting her to be able to hold up. As I typically have very few vacation opportunities with the family, even having to worry about such a thing is really not worth it, so there may be a new 2011 (or something else entirely, who knows) in the immediate future.
Bah, if you're worried then rent something new and leave the Ody home. Much cheaper than a car payment... :nod: Unless of course you still have many van years left for your family.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We just finished a 5,575 mile trip (14 days). The '04 is on the original trans, and has 130,000 miles. We got up to 29.3 mpg, even with lots of mountains, and 70, 75, & 80 mph speed limits (+5 mph over at most times). Posted 80 mph speed limit! OMG!

·
Registered
14 Posts
new ody owner

So I'm hoping I got a used gem of a 2003 LX (135km/85mi non-towing/non-soccer mom, hwy miles), but what should I do now to keep it going past 200k in cold salty Canada?
1) The body it perfect. Where do these guys rust? Should I get some spray put in somewhere?
2) Timing belt and water pump was just changed.
3) Am I too late to get a benefit from changing to full synthetic?
4) How about ATF? Should I change it to full syn?
5) Watch for mounts...right?

I'm new to the forum. Looks like it is as good as my elementownersclub for activity.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Our 03 now has 178k+ with original engine and trans. Even my motor mounts are all still original. Even more amazing is that probably 10% of those miles were spent towing our 2,700# popup camper (~8,000# total combined weight).

My tranny precautions were pretty vanilla: 10k# rated tube/fin tranny cooler mounted upstream of the stock radiator cooler, ~20k ATFz1 fluid changes, ~80k average stock ATF filter replacement, and a generally low pressure right foot.

I'm not quite sure I'll hit 200k. I've got a pretty audible whine in third gear these days that makes me suspect the clutch material is all gone for third, but for now operation is still pretty darn good. Just took it on a 1,000 mile towing vacation last week.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts