Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have 249000 on my 2003 Odyssey today. Have had Hayden trans cooler since new, towed a pop up camper a few times in the first 5 years. Have changed ATF with Amsoil every 20000 miles or so. First transmission lasted 184000 miles. Still on the second trans.
I have only replaced 1 coil pack, EGR valve, motor & trans mounts (several times), struts and shocks, 1 transmission rebuild, 2 timing belt maintenances done (with water pumps). That's it. Overall not too bad, but the transmission is dissapointing for a Honda.

·
Registered
5 Posts
200,000 original trany

Hi, I know this thread is old, but I found it when doing some research on transmissions. Our Odyssey is at 201K miles and the transmission just started going kerplunk the other day. Not bad considering it's the original and lasted us this long (and we haven't been light on it either! We have hauled hay with it, wood, and whatever my husband could fit in the back!!). We're the original owners and have done regular maintenance (husband has done all of the oil changes, replaced shocks/struts, and something with the gear shifter when we first bought the van new) but overall, it's been a great van for us and has served us well.

We have another Odyssey with 180K miles on it that we bought at 160K miles off Craig's List from a soccer Mom and as far as we know it's on the original transmission as well. We're contemplating fixing our 201K mile transmission rather than coughing up the funds for a newer used van, because there's always that risk that a used one could come with problems after we've spent upwards of $15K. At least with our trusty old van, we know where it's been.

Also, I don't think we've ever changed the transmission fluid on either of our vans.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We bought ours used and previous owner said they just replaced the trans, welp, couple of thousands of miles later we had to replace. Here in SoCal there are alot of shops that have these trans in stock and ready for R&R, we now have 236K+ and so far so good, We debated on upgrading to a newer ODY but since the family has grown and kid seats are getting smaller, there's not much of a need for another van. We will keep this one til it dies or until we are ready to part with it.

Hi, I know this thread is old, but I found it when doing some research on transmissions. Our Odyssey is at 201K miles and the transmission just started going kerplunk the other day. Not bad considering it's the original and lasted us this long (and we haven't been light on it either! We have hauled hay with it, wood, and whatever my husband could fit in the back!!). We're the original owners and have done regular maintenance (husband has done all of the oil changes, replaced shocks/struts, and something with the gear shifter when we first bought the van new) but overall, it's been a great van for us and has served us well.

We have another Odyssey with 180K miles on it that we bought at 160K miles off Craig's List from a soccer Mom and as far as we know it's on the original transmission as well. We're contemplating fixing our 201K mile transmission rather than coughing up the funds for a newer used van, because there's always that risk that a used one could come with problems after we've spent upwards of $15K. At least with our trusty old van, we know where it's been.

Also, I don't think we've ever changed the transmission fluid on either of our vans.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Okay it is just a little spooky that my 02 crossed 200K miles in almost the exact same spot as the OP, on I 81N during our return from Gatlinburg TN back to NoVa yesterday. She is now at 200365. It was our first long trip on our new Moog front suspension that I installed last week and the ride is great. My daughter was only two when we bought this car and she is now 16 and drove the van for about 200 miles to help me out with driving duties.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Okay it is just a little spooky that my 02 crossed 200K miles in almost the exact same spot as the OP, on I 81N during our return from Gatlinburg TN back to NoVa yesterday. She is now at 200365. It was our first long trip on our new Moog front suspension that I installed last week and the ride is great. My daughter was only two when we bought this car and she is now 16 and drove the van for about 200 miles to help me out with driving duties.
Makes a person wonder how many of us have owned their van for 10 years or more. We bought ours in the spring of 05 so right at 10 years. My kids grew up in that van and all learned to drive in it. Youngest is 19 now. Good times and she's still going strong. I'm not sure if we would keep the van if the tranny died though, that would take some discernment.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have 317K on my '04. Runs great and has the updated trans (original). I actually bought this one used with 298K on it. My first one - a '01 got totaled wit 254 on it, original trans. I just took a 4K long round trip with the van, drives and rides nice. Hope to get to 400K on it. probably more likely that one of the kids will ding it up. These things last a long time with proper maintenance. My other van - a 2006 Dodge Sprinter has 241K on it. That one will make it to 400K - it is a diesel. I don't worry about any issues, if they come up, I fix them unless it is catastrophic. I do agree that most folks simply don't own cars long enough or drive them enough to get to 200K much less 300K, but those vehicles are out there.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
385k on my 04' and also runs awesome with $ spent, I also have the updated trans that I had to have put in a week after we got it, my goal is 500k before a new motor, ime probably dreaming but ime gonna put 999k on it and ask Honda if they would trade me for a bran spankin shiny one.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
385k on my 04' and also runs awesome with $ spent, I also have the updated trans that I had to have put in a week after we got it, my goal is 500k before a new motor, ime probably dreaming but ime gonna put 999k on it and ask Honda if they would trade me for a bran spankin shiny one.....
385K is AMAZING! So are these other numbers that others are quoting! I'm going to show these numbers to my husband... he got off the phone the other day with a repair shop asking for a quote for installing a new trans and the guy spent a half hour lecturing my husband on why would he want to spend almost $4K on an upgrade to a vehicle that is only worth $3K with the possibility that something else will go wrong? The repair guy kept stating we needed a "dependable" vehicle. It scared us a little so we ended up looking for a somewhat "new" but used Odyssey and we put a deposit on a 2010 that a private seller had online but I think what we'll also do is fix our 04 trany and keep it as a back-up vehicle. Who knows, our daughter who was a little baby when we bought our 04 may indeed learn to drive on it in 5 years if we are able to keep it running that long! What an amazing purchase this van has been for us. I'm so excited that we'll have 3 odys with NO car payments!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Make sure you account for kilometers when a Canadian reports big numbers! Just like their dollar is worth only few US pennies, their 320K means only 200K in *real American units** :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Make sure you account for kilometers when a Canadian reports big numbers! Just like their dollar is worth only few US pennies, their 320K means only 200K in *real American units** :)
I was thinking something similar. 200k miles (320,000 kilometers) isn't much these days. I have a Ford and Audi in my yard with more than that. I'm impressed when it comes up to 300k miles. Should the metric way be 320k-km? :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
200K Miles x 1.6= 320K km's (rough calculation)
385K km /0.6 = 240,000 miles

1 mile is
1.609 kilometers

1 kilometer is
0.621 miles

Bernie

·
Registered
166 Posts
Makes a person wonder how many of us have owned their van for 10 years or more. We bought ours in the spring of 05 so right at 10 years. My kids grew up in that van and all learned to drive in it. Youngest is 19 now. Good times and she's still going strong. I'm not sure if we would keep the van if the tranny died though, that would take some discernment.
We've had our '02 (Helga) since December 2001. Purchased with just 63-miles on the ODO, currently sitting just north of 197.000-miles and will roll 200,000-miles on this Summer's road-trip.

Hoping to get at least another 100.000-miles out of her.

-C.M.B.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Can we make this topic more useful? What repairs would you need between 200-300K miles? Which of them could leave you stranded on the road? Which makes sense to do it proactively? Which type of problems will give at least some warnings? For example, alternator, starter, fuel pump etc all have certain life and if they go suddenly, you will be stranded on the road. What telltale signs that you can look for? I noticed whining coming from alternator and replaced it before it failed.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Good idea, the main strander I've seen in this range seems to be the starters going in the upper 100k range, probably lower 200k if mostly a highway driver. A click is all you get but it will work at times. Someone mentioned rebuilding the solenoid which seems to be the culprit.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Usually, the starter will give some warning. I rebuilt the Denso on my Camry after it gave me warnings. I managed to get the new contacts on ebay. I do not know if Odyssey uses similar Denso starter or is it a different type.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Usually, the starter will give some warning.
What would you call a warning? My truck was just click and nothing with no warning. Many threads on here with the same thing for the Ody starter. It seems that the days of slow turn over before starter death has gone.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I mean just the click and then put the key back to off and do it again and starts like nothing is wrong. That is classic symptom of worn contacts on a Denso starter. Initially, the occurrences of just click are far apart like weeks but eventually they start getting more often.

Was it not similar for you?

61 - 80 of 129 Posts