Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I mean just the click and then put the key back to off and do it again and starts like nothing is wrong. That is classic symptom of worn contacts on a Denso starter. Initially, the occurrences of just click are far apart like weeks but eventually they start getting more often.

Was it not similar for you?
Mine gave no notice whatsoever. I think I even tried rapping on it. I did not take it apart to see why it failed but maybe I should have. That time in my life was very busy. I swapped it in a parking lot, fun times.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
ody alts are known to whine when they are getting worn out.
Yeah but I was talking about the starter specifically. You can still get home if the alternator craps out. You can even get it home without the accessory belt in a pinch. No turn over is a done deal.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
very few starter problem reported on this forum; unfortunately, most of them do not describe the pre-failure symptoms in detail

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm in!

...hit 200,000 miles back from a biannual mecca to Miami. Knock on wood, the original tranny still is going strong.

(BTW, I'm a proponent of rebuilding stuff before it breaks. A starter rebuild is on my to-do list).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not yet, only 123k on 2003 ex.

I have used valvoline maxlife, mobil atf Amalie, Honda atf cocktail. Whatever is available on my garage shelf Every 10k. I use a vacuum pump to pull fluid out (3 quarts). I also have aftermarket tranny cooler and filter installed. Currently have 123k on original tranny. Going ok so far.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Our 2004 Honda odyssey hit 200,000 miles Tuesday. Only a few things have gone wrong with the car besides stuff I consider maintenance items. These items include the outer bearing on the A/C unit, resulting in a new clutch, and the coolant crossover pipe started leaking, throttle cable bent, cable for the closing motor broke, replaced with cable from home depot, rubber fingers for the table. Maintenance items include, TB and components, struts and shocks, front tie-rod ends, all motor mounts, various dash lights, brakes.

I have used Honda fluids and filters for most of the cars life and have started using amsoil in the last 30k miles or so and a K&N air filter installed at about the same time. I have used factory Honda parts for all repairs and maintenance items besides the oil. I tow with the car a decent amount probably 30-40K miles or so. I have the Honda hitch and aftermarket tranny and power steering cooler installed. The car still runs and drives smooth. I'm shooting for 300K now.

20150518_160840.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just joined the 200K club.... My 2015 honda Fit is getting more use these days, but my daughter is still driving the 2002 Ody for a few more months before college starts in the fall.

Current issues to solve are Power Steering leak and leaking front boots. Doing the airbag recall next week at the dealer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Our 2004 Honda odyssey hit 200,000 miles Tuesday. Only a few things have gone wrong with the car besides stuff I consider maintenance items. These items include the outer bearing on the A/C unit, resulting in a new clutch, and the coolant crossover pipe started leaking, throttle cable bent, cable for the closing motor broke, replaced with cable from home depot, rubber fingers for the table. Maintenance items include, TB and components, struts and shocks, front tie-rod ends, all motor mounts, various dash lights, brakes.

I have used Honda fluids and filters for most of the cars life and have started using amsoil in the last 30k miles or so and a K&N air filter installed at about the same time. I have used factory Honda parts for all repairs and maintenance items besides the oil. I tow with the car a decent amount probably 30-40K miles or so. I have the Honda hitch and aftermarket tranny and power steering cooler installed. The car still runs and drives smooth. I'm shooting for 300K now.

View attachment 63465
mwe. You mentioned a couple years ago you were thinking of switching to Amsoil ATF even though you were happy with DW-1. What did you end up doing? Happy with the decision I take it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my 03 w Nav for $500. Has 281k miles with original tranny which was toast. Original owner never checked or serviced the trans whatsoever. Bought a trans for $150 from a u pick u pull yard. Van was wrecked and trans fluid was perfect. Put it in and it shifts perfectly!!!!! Gonna run her until she won't anymore!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just bought my 03 w Nav for $500. Has 281k miles with original tranny which was toast. Original owner never checked or serviced the trans whatsoever. Bought a trans for $150 from a u pick u pull yard. Van was wrecked and trans fluid was perfect. Put it in and it shifts perfectly!!!!! Gonna run her until she won't anymore!
That's phenomenal! Hope you will report how it goes!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Now that is a win. Congrats and welcome to Odyclub.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sulkair
I switched to amsoil ATF, fuel efficienct, about 28k miles ago. I will be changing it soon and getting a Blackstone labs oil analysis done, so will report their findings than. I have noticed a slight increase in MPG since the switch, and not enough of a difference in the shifting characteristics to really notice. I am planning on staying with amsoil, pending something worrisome from said report.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
pumpkin, excellent work!

Man, you DO run your rides for a lot of miles...all of them! :cool:

OF

81 - 100 of 129 Posts