Honda Odyssey Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
very few starter problem reported on this forum; unfortunately, most of them do not describe the pre-failure symptoms in detail
I had to replace my original starter on my 2000 LX recently at 245K Miles!

There were absolutely no warning signs just an absolute dead click when I went to the parking garage after work. I've owned the vehicle since it had 90K miles and other than a dead battery this is the only time it left me stranded!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 02 has 274K miles on it. Rebuilt the first trans at 200K after milking it for 36K (1700 from a local shop). Started noticing hard shifts at 164K. Every 125K I replaced the timing belt, pulleys and tensioner, also replaced the serpentine belt, plugs cam/crank seals and adjusted the valves. At 250K I elected to replace the radiator hoses and sway bar bushings. After 100K I had to replace the rear shocks, trunk lift supports, driver window regulator, all the motor mounts but the hydraulic one. After 200K I had to replace the PS high pressure hose, alternator. Runs great still, but is developing leaks where the oil pump is sealed to the block and oil filter valve assembly (did replace this one, others are major teardown). At 270 I had to weld back on the rear disc shields (cheaper that buying new ones) and replaced the headlight assemblies with ones off ebay (much easier to see now and only 65 for both). Lots of brakes, batteries and tires. Regular maintenance by the book.

·
Registered
16 Posts
which lights

My 02 has 274K miles on it. Rebuilt the first trans at 200K after milking it for 36K (1700 from a local shop). Started noticing hard shifts at 164K. Every 125K I replaced the timing belt, pulleys and tensioner, also replaced the serpentine belt, plugs cam/crank seals and adjusted the valves. At 250K I elected to replace the radiator hoses and sway bar bushings. After 100K I had to replace the rear shocks, trunk lift supports, driver window regulator, all the motor mounts but the hydraulic one. After 200K I had to replace the PS high pressure hose, alternator. Runs great still, but is developing leaks where the oil pump is sealed to the block and oil filter valve assembly (did replace this one, others are major teardown). At 270 I had to weld back on the rear disc shields (cheaper that buying new ones) and replaced the headlight assemblies with ones off ebay (much easier to see now and only 65 for both). Lots of brakes, batteries and tires. Regular maintenance by the book.
What brand of headlights did you use for $65 and were you happy with them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just looked and the headlight (shells) no bulbs included and they were actually 75 for both to the door. Just some Chinese shells. Got them from carpartswholesale off their eBay site because they offered free return shipping. I figured if they were bad, I was out nothing. They have a site outside ebay as well.

The other day I added an 07 Ex to my collection of Hondas. It has 112K on it and I got it for 5K. Still needs the 105K major tune up work in it though. Just getting ready incase the 02 dies and I don't want to keep it alive (there is a lot of rattling going on as things are wearing).

I also used regular old Valvoline in the engine with fram filters. But do use ATF-Z1/ATF-DW1 and oem PS fluid.

Also forgot at 260K I had to replace the brake booster which has been going for 50K miles. Did not fail, but made wooshing noises after releasing the brake almost constantly toward the end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got it thanks-

Just looked and the headlight (shells) no bulbs included and they were actually 75 for both to the door. Just some Chinese shells. Got them from carpartswholesale off their eBay site because they offered free return shipping. I figured if they were bad, I was out nothing. They have a site outside ebay as well.

The other day I added an 07 Ex to my collection of Hondas. It has 112K on it and I got it for 5K. Still needs the 105K major tune up work in it though. Just getting ready incase the 02 dies and I don't want to keep it alive (there is a lot of rattling going on as things are wearing).

I also used regular old Valvoline in the engine with fram filters. But do use ATF-Z1/ATF-DW1 and oem PS fluid.

Also forgot at 260K I had to replace the brake booster which has been going for 50K miles. Did not fail, but made wooshing noises after releasing the brake almost constantly toward the end.
OK thanks- yes, mine are a bit foggy and with condensation so they are bugging me.

I have done some of the things like motor mounts and a new radiator recently, blower motor, and a starter, but quite honestly- That's about it-otherwise standard maintenance including T-belt/pump.

BTW- just returned last night from a 1400 mile roundtrip from Gainesville FL to Memphis TN. 250K plus miles and ran like an absolute top!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 2004 LX just rolled over 200,000 miles a couple weeks ago. I was looking forward to it happening, but since the odometer backlight doesn't work, and it was night, I didn't see it happen. My sister was driving it when it went over 100,000 miles. :rollingeyes: However, years ago, I bought a used Honda Accord, and during the test drive, the odo rolled over 200,000 miles (it had a very strong engine!).

I did the TB WP only recently, somewhere around 180,000 miles. I requested that the mechanic give me the old TB, and it looked so good, I almost suspect the mechanic mixed up the belts and gave me the new one. There were no cracks or wear that I could detect. I would have never guessed it even had 10 miles on it. Maybe it was stretched ? I can't tell.

Little problems are popping up. The Power Steering is leaking, faster and faster. I should work on it today. The AC has lost cooling power. The brakes make noise when backing down the driveway — I suspect the rear shoes; I must inspect. I do know that one dust shield rotted off last summer, and others are probably nearing the same fate.

For the last 100,000 miles, the D light blinks, for a day or two, just once or twice per year. It usually comes on when the van is mostly full, and it is raining. When things dry out, the D stops blinking.

Occasionally, at 45mph, when just a bit more acceleration is needed (going up a slight hill), the trans / engine seems to growl — perhaps like it is trying to shift, but I don't lose speed, but I don't speed up either, unless I give it a bit more skinny pedal. It sort of a noisy flat spot in the speed curve.

And the tires I have are terrible. My tires always wear on the edges, evenly, first. Inside and out, despite keeping the tires a recommended or higher psi.

Other than all that, the van is still wonderful.

Oh, and the driver's door lock and ignition cylinder / key are at odds. Sometimes it's hard to get the key in the door – I have to resort to opening another door first; and about 3% of the time, getting the key in the ignition is a puzzle.

·
Registered
961 Posts
MobiusEntwine, a few suggestions:

Fix the odometer backlight (and your clock light, which is likely burnt out also). Easy to do. A few bucks for bulbs from the dealer. Less than an hour and you own the night again.

The flashing D can be a few things, but for me it was the 4th gear pressure switch. It cost less than $200 for my mechanic to diagnose and replace. It might account for your flat spot. People often don't repair this because the flashing goes away, but I suspect that it is not good for the transmission.

What do you inflate your tires to? If tires are wearing improperly, it is either an inflation issue, or alignment/suspension issue. Neither should be hard to identify or resolve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Christmas Vacation to the mountains of western NC. 2001 Honda Odyssey EX, turned 278,000 miles. Calculated 23 mpg on every tank of gas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Big bump - our 2000 Odyssey is now at over 303,000 miles, and still on the original transmission.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Big bump - our 2000 Odyssey is now at over 303,000 miles, and still on the original transmission.
Wow! That is great to hear!! Wow, our 2 ody's are young whipper snappers compared to some of yours.. 134k on the 2002 and 43k on the 2010. I hope to be replying to this thread someday with both of them passing the 200k mark!

PS - I pass through Parsippany often :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sulkair
I switched to amsoil ATF, fuel efficienct, about 28k miles ago. I will be changing it soon and getting a Blackstone labs oil analysis done, so will report their findings than. I have noticed a slight increase in MPG since the switch, and not enough of a difference in the shifting characteristics to really notice. I am planning on staying with amsoil, pending something worrisome from said report.
mwe2121,
It's been 16 months now - What do you have to report sir!?!? ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our 2004 LX is just under 290,000 with original transmission. Besides a bit of oil burning, nothing major with it. Though it got a new alt and starter recently.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I haven't posted here in a very long time.... nuthin' has gone wrong (knocking on wood!).

We just turned 150,000 miles on our 2003 EX. Bought new. Had the transmission jet (I think that's what it was called) recall performed and some recall on the EGR system I think. I've replaced the timing belt (kit) and the front motor mount. We're on our third set of tires. I need new shocks in the back, it's a bit bouncy now and could probably put my second set of plugs in the old girl. I'd guess that at a 150K my front struts are worn too. My only real gripe (well other than my sun blasted paint) is that my power sliding doors are getting a bit lazy. The driver's side is only shutting form the dash. Looking forward to another (at least) 50K on our rocketship of a minivan!

Cheers all, George

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had really good luck getting my side doors working smoothly by just WD-40ing the crap out of the rollers and cables, both, bottom, top and in the back of the door where it slides in in the groove. That back one you gotta get quickly as the door begins to open. Makes a little mess initially, but she's an old girl anyway. Anyone think this is a bad idea? 2002 ody

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We just hit 277K miles during a 3k mile road trip from Washington State to California and back in a 2004 Ex-Res. It still has the original tranny and ran great the entire trip. We had 2 adults with 3 kids for the trip. View attachment 142925

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMG_20180923_130743397_HDR.jpg

Finally made it to 200,000 miles!
2002 EX - bought new, it was my goal to get to 200k. On it's 2nd tranny for the last 103k miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
245k on the original transmission. I was given this car by my mother and I am trying to see how long I can take it just for fun.

We had the transmission boil over on our way to the beach this year. after a good flush (well actually 5 times) and a trans cooler install its back up and happy running and shifting fine.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts