Honda Odyssey Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
245k on the original transmission. I was given this car by my mother and I am trying to see how long I can take it just for fun.

We had the transmission boil over on our way to the beach this year. after a good flush (well actually 5 times) and a trans cooler install its back up and happy running and shifting fine.
How did the car act when the transmission boiled over? Thx

·
Registered
24 Posts
It lost overdrive. The fluid all over everything caused a terrible smoke as well and it can be quite a scary experience. In the (quite literally) heat of the moment, I was afraid to drive it and had it towed the 160 miles home....

That being said, it was only a half quart to quart low on fluid and once it was filled (I had not checked driving it beforehand) it drove fine and shifted through all the gears.

After about 5 drain and fills (driving a small amount between) the fluid no longer smelled burnt and I started driving it once more. For good measure I added a transmission cooler to the front....

To be honest, I am wondering if a large percentage of these "failures" I am reading about is a similar circumstance to my own experience....because for a moment I just assumed "the trans was shot" due to the fluid everywhere and the terribly burnt smell from the dipstick.

I would love to find a thread where everyone talks about how their trans "failed". since I know that many shops would rather sell a new trans than just charge the few hundred bucks it would cost to do the work I did to get it back on the road....

Although I work in IT now, back in my younger years I worked at a dealership for the transmission guy, and I learned a few things about how transmissions fail....typically a true failure is not leaking fluid....that is just an overheat, which is not common per se, but also not as nearly as bad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would love to find a thread where everyone talks about how their trans "failed". since I know that many shops would rather sell a new trans than just charge the few hundred bucks it would cost to do the work I did to get it back on the road....

Although I work in IT now, back in my younger years I worked at a dealership for the transmission guy, and I learned a few things about how transmissions fail....typically a true failure is not leaking fluid....that is just an overheat, which is not common per se, but also not as nearly as bad.
Maybe start your own POLL?

·
Registered
95 Posts
245k on the original transmission. I was given this car by my mother and I am trying to see how long I can take it just for fun.

We had the transmission boil over on our way to the beach this year. after a good flush (well actually 5 times) and a trans cooler install its back up and happy running and shifting fine.
This was the exact same thing that happened to me. Boil over. Flush several times. Installed trans cooler. Run Maxlife. Works like a charm. 222,222 miles a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife’s 2001 odyssey lx currently has 312000 miles and counting still with original engine and transmission. It still running strong and tranny shifting awesome. My care of the odyssey are castrol gtx high mileage every 3000-3500 miles. Drain and fill transmission 4 times with 3 drain and fill. I had use premium gas between 120000 to 250000 miles, I recently moved back to regular and the engine seems to be more dirty. Timing belt changed at 215000 miles(first timing). In between, I took the timing belt cover off and look through to see Shape it was in. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife’s 2001 odyssey lx currently has 312000 miles and counting still with original engine and transmission. It still running strong and tranny shifting awesome. My care of the odyssey are castrol gtx high mileage every 3000-3500 miles. Drain and fill transmission 4 times with 3 drain and fill. I had use premium gas between 120000 to 250000 miles, I recently moved back to regular and the engine seems to be more dirty. Timing belt changed at 215000 miles(first timing). In between, I took the timing belt cover off and look through to see Shape it was in. Good luck with yours.
Your saying that you drain and fill the transmission fluid 4 times every oil change? Thats like $60-75 just in trans fluid every few months?

·
Registered
19 Posts
No what meant was the whole 312k, I have done 4 transmission fluid flush but every flush I did a 3 drain and fill. More info, as I changed from premium gas to regular the engine has been working a little harder. If I can get to 400k I may throw in another timing belt. We will see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
awesome i am really glad to hear this. I have an "03 im reaa
lly trying to get to 200,[email protected] 102000 thanks for giving us hope.

What kind of maint. did you do to get this mileage.
I personally think if you make the engine and transmission work/run easy you will extend the life of the vehicle. Flash oil and transmission fluid you should be able to tell the difference. Wife’s 01 odyssey lx i change fluid more often than what the book says, especially city and hilly driving. It turn out very good. 312k miles and counting. I don’t like it to fail before I fix, I fix before it fail.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts