Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all.

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey EX with about 165k miles on the clock. I have only owned this car for about 1.5 years and 20k miles, and I have never trusted the doors to open in the event of an obstruction. Over New Year's weekend, one of the doors developed a mind of its own and decided to close at random. So, obviously I have great concern about this van's doors.

After that random close, I did some testing and found that the doors will crush a cereal box inserted into the door long-ways. As a result of that, I'm not interested in testing with my arm or my child, or depending on these doors to open in the event of an obstruction.

I know that there are two motors in this door: the one that slides the door open and closed, and the "final close" motor that pulls the door in to latch it. I need to replace these final close motors and found them for about $105 apiece (and I need to replace the lock actuators, about $25 apiece), but I wonder if the random door closes will continue to be a problem, and if the doors will forever ignore/crush obstructions.

So, my question: can I just remove the slide motors on a 2000 Honda Odyssey EX? If so, will the doors slide freely after I do that? As you know, even when the slide motor is disabled, it is still engaged and it makes the door difficult to slide. I need something that my pregnant wife can open with ease.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It would be pretty easy to get to the cable that moves the center roller (and your door). My advise would be to get to that roller and disconnect the cable, then pull all the cable to the inside of the van (inside the trim). I would probably not cut the cable in case you find a better fix in the future. To get to the center roller cables: first, remove both tail lights. Behind them is 2 phillips screws, remove them then open the door. there is another screw facing you, remove that, then close the door. Now you should be able to gently slide out the cover for the center roller. Now you need to remove it from the door. First, support the door, I hear people using a jack and a couple of boards, but I use a milk crate and a 2 x 6 with a notch cut down the middle for the door to fit in. It is the perfect height. now remove the 2 12mm bolts that hold the center roller to the door. Next, carefully remove the trim on the inside of the van in the far back. Slightly forward of the speakers and behind some plastic, you will see a circle thinggy. this is the motor. you need to pull out on the circle and turn it (it will only turn one way) about 3 times. This will loosen the cable and lower the center roller. Now you will be able to remove the cable from the roller. Somehow, you should pull the cable in and secure it behind the trim. Replace the trim, reattach the center roller and you should be done. I strongly advise, be careful when removing the center roller from the door. I had a door slip off a jack, luckily, my friend was there and caught it, but it could have been bad. That is why I made something to support it that had a bigger surface than a jack. Also, turn off the door switch inside the van.
Hope this helps.
Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Keith. I was really hoping that it would be as simple as pulling the motor. It sounds much more involved than that. :(

But, this van also now has a crack in the oil filter housing, requiring that the housing be replaced, so I don't think I'll bother with the doors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts