Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Odyssey LX currently has 207,800 miles on it. The engine and transmission are doing very well, no complaints, noises, anything. The van does need new front struts and suspension bushings very badly, though. I have the struts already, just waiting for a good time to install them. The front rotors are badly warped as well, so they need replacing.

Just a little background info on the car. As of this past Sunday, I noticed the Ody is developing a leak somewhere in the exhaust. At idle, outside the car you can hear that low kind of puffing noise coming from just behind the front tires. Inside, on acceleration, there's that low but very loud droning sound - seeing as my 1990 Infiniti M30 has had an exhaust leak at the manifold for years now, I'm familiar with the sound and I don't like it one bit :(

The car is wash undercoated (New Jersey winters...) multiple times a year, and there's virtually no rust anywhere underneath. I'm always surprised every time I'm under there doing work and I see how clean it is, so I'm a little surprised as well at the exhaust starting to leak.

Has anyone had any experience with their Odyssey's exhaust leaking? The snow up in the Northeast is crazy... wind chills down to single digits, so I won't have a chance to get the van up in the air until some time next week. I don't have a check engine light on.. maybe it's leaking somewhere after the cat?

·
Registered
139 Posts
leak

I have an exhaust leak in what seems to be the exact same spot as yours on my 2000

Where one of the welds is that holds on one of the attachment pieces has a small line hole of about 1 inch or so on top of the weld. I tried JB weld after I cleaned the metal around the hole with a dremel tool. That worked for a few days but burned off, otherwise the pipe is in great condition and I'd rather fix the leak than replace the pipe.

It's been a month since I've been under there. I put the front wheels on ramps, blocked it and crawled under. I can't remember exactly which pipe it was but it seems it was where you're describing (just behind the front wheels).

Anyone know of a product like JB Weld that will actually work on exhaust pipes?

Thank you, Andy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts