Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my air conditioner is making a loud humming noise when its turned on high in the front air. Anyone have a idea of what it could be?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is it only with the AC compressor engaged, or anytime the fan is running (ie, vent, heat, aircon)? If it's at any time, I'd suspect the blower motor. Haven't gotten dirty on an Ody yet, but in all the other cars I've wrenched on, the blower motor is in the passenger side dash, behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ImTheDevil said:
Is it only with the AC compressor engaged, or anytime the fan is running (ie, vent, heat, aircon)? If it's at any time, I'd suspect the blower motor. Haven't gotten dirty on an Ody yet, but in all the other cars I've wrenched on, the blower motor is in the passenger side dash, behind the glovebox.
So what could have happened to the blower motor? Mine does that too......

·
Registered
76 Posts
Honestly it could just be wearing out from age. The car is 10 years old and with that much time and use it's bound to have wear and tear. Doesn't mean it's not going to work or continue to work but its moving parts are going to have some wear. That'll definitely contribute to noise if the blower motor is the cause of the noise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
unknowing to me, when loosening a bolt on the condensor, I also released a connection point for the freon and all my freon escaped -:(

the fix was simple enough, I didn't run the A/C until I put freon in this morning.

The A/C blows cold enough now but I now have the exact same problem as described above - a low tone but loud whining coming from behind the glove box/dash area when I turn the fan on.

Odd that this would happen at the exact time I replace the freon?

I'm going to change the cabin filter soon, I may end up replace the blower (motor?) at the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a low buzzing or rumbling sound with the blower above medium speed or so. There was a little leaf in there and when it was removed, the sound went away too. I think there is a sticky on how to do this. You have to remove the glove box first.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Pull the blower and clean out the debre and also pull the cabin filter and clean out that area. Replace the filter if needed. Check the air intake area at rge back of the hood area for open holes where the leaves can be getting in. It has been reported a couple times there are some holes without screens. Great for sucking up those maple seeds but bad for the blower.

·
Registered
40 Posts
well I replaced the cabin filter after 172K miles. It was so dirty I had to vacuum the area out after I pulled out the old one. It was solid dirt and leaves. Very strange that you actually have to cut a part off the car to replace the filter.

Read up on here about how to take out the blower motor (yes, the 3rd screw is a monster but if you use an 8mm wrench instead of a socket or flathead screwdriver it comes out very quickly. It just took me 20 minutes to get around to using the wrench).

Sure enough, once I got the motor out it had 4 leaves in it that had blown in there when I had the struts out.

Put it back and I have great airflow, a fresh smelling cabin and a quiet fan.

had nothing to do with the A/C itself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
KFWA said:
well I replaced the cabin filter after 172K miles. It was so dirty I had to vacuum the area out after I pulled out the old one. It was solid dirt and leaves. Very strange that you actually have to cut a part off the car to replace the filter.

Read up on here about how to take out the blower motor (yes, the 3rd screw is a monster but if you use an 8mm wrench instead of a socket or flathead screwdriver it comes out very quickly. It just took me 20 minutes to get around to using the wrench).

Sure enough, once I got the motor out it had 4 leaves in it that had blown in there when I had the struts out.

Put it back and I have great airflow, a fresh smelling cabin and a quiet fan.

had nothing to do with the A/C itself.
Good to know! Congratulations. Blower motors should last more than 10 lousy years. I have 2 1987 cars with orig blowers. No noise,, etc. Some stuff in Hondas is just junk, period. Other stuff is way better than competition. Hard to figure.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
10 years and 170k on a cabin filter is a long time. Amazing the blower motor didn't burn out from not being able to move the air. Pippo, so true...seems they make great mechanical metal pieces but have trouble with some needed plastic pieces like internal door handle assemblies.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How leaf get into the a/c blower? It seems like im doinh this againn ...
Last time I did this was 1 year +

I also change the filter not to long ago

1 - 14 of 14 Posts