Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2000 Odyssey ex 144k miles. I had the transmission replaced at 101k. Has been fine until today. My wife called me in a state of panic. She was driving at 45mph and heard a noise Clunk so she pulled over in the median. she said it "lost power" She tried to take off and it had no power, motor would rev and it would just go real slow. She called me and I told her to try d1 and d-2, she said she could not shift to the lower gears it was real hard to move. I told her to shut it off and I would be on my way. She then restarted the van and the D4 light was flashing, it went off she put it into D4 and was normal. aprox 5 miles later it happened all over again. I looked at it and it sounds like a whining comming from the transmission, reverse works fine but no forward power. I just lost my job and money is real tight any suggestions?? Please We really need this vehicle to work

·
Registered
40 Posts
This sounds like a clutch failed. Not good. A 2000 Odyssey with that many miles may not be worth repairing. I guess it would be up to you if you have time to try a transmission swap yourself, with something affordable that works.:frown:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope not, the weird thing is that it did it, worked, then did it again if it was a hard part it should not have "fixed" itself. thats what I am having issues with, fluid is clean and fresh, not burned at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Symptoms in the service manual for torque converter one way clutch defective is that the vehicle does not accelerate more than 31 mph (50 kph). I have seen these fail only once they heat up, and seem normal in reverse. I wonder what kind of torque converter was installed when the transmission was replaced. It would be good to scan for that code that was set when the D indicator was blinking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: SO confused. I had codes scanned, showed Nothing. Drove the thing with no issues whatsoever for about 5 miles. Drained and refilled trans fluid. Drove for 5 miles,
here is where it gets weird>>. It drives, but seems like it will not shift a gear, if I let off pedal it will shift and go no slipping. If I do not let off pedal it will not shift.

Fluid was clean, magnet had some clutch residue, nothing abnormal.

Any Ideas??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sound like your sprag gear is bad in the Low/Hold Hub on the secondary shaft, it is inside the transmission. When it act up coast to a stop and not shift gear, try manually shift it into second or low this will get you going. This condition will show itself more when your transmission is cold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
??

Well when it is cold it drives normal, shifts fine etc. it is only after a few miles that it does this, like I said when it starts to act up if you let off the pedal and will shift the gear and be normal no slippage. Is it possible it is an actuator?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The transmission's pump perhaps? If it fails, it won't provide enough line pressure to do what a transmission does (shift, engage etc). Happened to me on a civic and the high pitched whine was present.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Ok, Pulled Linear and lock-up solanoid Lock up screen was perfectly clean, no debris whatsoever, no debris in the linear solenoid. hose seemed to flow freely.

Called three transmission shops......

Whine according to all of them could be one of three things :

Pump
Torque converter
solenoid

Bringing in for a free inspection in the morning at a Honda dealer.

Because of no debris everyone is leaning to the solenoid, it can either be stuck open or closed, too much fluid= whine too little fluid whine..

Crossing my fingers!! will keep you informed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, Honda dealer said:

No Codes stored

Transmission needs to be replaced::::beacause it slips

No Reasons why,

Honda reccomends the ECM be replace when the trans is replaced

TOTAL estimate $6125.00

They had a 3 year 36k mile warranty on the "replaced" I am out of warranty and out of luck.

I found a transmission rebuilder to rebuild for $800.00 2 year warranty unlimited miles. My mechanic friend is pulling it today.

TOYOTA HERE I COME>

·
Registered
28 Posts
$800 is great price if it is done correctly. The rebuild kit with steel alone is $350 any other hard part that need to be replace can add up fast. I would replace the torque convert too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts