Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i was looking for some help my ac clutch broke when i was driving and i'm wondering if i can bypass the ac all together with a shorter belt. it looks like i can and i was just wondering if it will stay on?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does the A/C compressor pulley spin freely? If so, why do you need the belt to bypass it?

Alternatively, why not repair the A/C clutch?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ac compresser is fine but my clutch pretty well fell off and thats why i want to bypass it. plus i'm not spending 700 dollars for something i hardly ever use. maybe i will go buy the clutch rebuild kit later on but for now i have a 43 inch belt that works great. i picked it up at napa the other day. so if any body is wondering if you can bypass it yes you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
AC Compressor Shot

the ac compresser is fine but my clutch pretty well fell off and thats why i want to bypass it. plus i'm not spending 700 dollars for something i hardly ever use. maybe i will go buy the clutch rebuild kit later on but for now i have a 43 inch belt that works great. i picked it up at napa the other day. so if any body is wondering if you can bypass it yes you can.
I appreciate your post because last Sunday my AC died on the way home from FL 3 hrs into an 8 hr trip. I could smell the burning clutch and shut off the AC. Long story short we made it home, but the bearing is probably shot since it was making a lot of noise at the end. I found your post Monday and was able to bypass the compressor, but in my case the belt had to be 42.5 inches because the 43 inch belt rubbed together at the tensioner. I'd estimate there's only 0.2" gap now. This will at least buy me some time. Dealer quote = $1695, local shop = $650-700.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
This happened to my Jeep, it's not too hard to replace the clutch/bearing without disconnecting any hoses. I see parts are about $150 at Bernardi Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate your post because last Sunday my AC died on the way home from FL 3 hrs into an 8 hr trip. I could smell the burning clutch and shut off the AC. Long story short we made it home, but the bearing is probably shot since it was making a lot of noise at the end. I found your post Monday and was able to bypass the compressor, but in my case the belt had to be 42.5 inches because the 43 inch belt rubbed together at the tensioner. I'd estimate there's only 0.2" gap now. This will at least buy me some time. Dealer quote = $1695, local shop = $650-700.
HUGE THANKS to both of you. Ran into the same problem this week and found this thread. I took advice from both posts and ended up getting the 42.5in belt from Pep-Boys. For anyone else looking for the exact part number if your in a pinch and need to call around, I used a Dayco 5060425. BTW I don't think this is a popular belt only because as usual Advance & AutoZone didn't have it in stock within a 20 mile radius according to the sites.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bypassed the A/C clutch in my 2002 Odyssey. I understand the tensioner is different between 2000 and 2002 so possibly the belt length is different? In my case I used a 40.7 inch belt (Continental 4060407). The back of the belt clears the A/C pulley by only a fraction of an inch but is fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bypassed the A/C clutch in my 2002 Odyssey. I understand the tensioner is different between 2000 and 2002 so possibly the belt length is different? In my case I used a 40.7 inch belt (Continental 4060407). The back of the belt clears the A/C pulley by only a fraction of an inch but is fine.
would you happen to have an image or diagram of how you routed the shorter belt bypassing the ac compressor pulley. i had the same issue happen to mine and id rather do this than replace the compressor with a bypass pulley. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts