Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Honda Ody (228K) I replaced the Starter with an Aftermarket unit @ 185K and wife recently had a intermittent start issue that was resolved by "tapping" on the solenoid. I am certain the solenoid is the issue as less than a year ago I replaced the battery with a Die Hard Platinum; Installed brass Marine Terminals, 1/0 positive cable and 1GA ground cable all with new ends. I also upgraded a few other ground cables and the alternator charging wires to larger gauge and cleaned all chassis and engine grounds.
I disassembled the OEM starter as I did not have to return the core.... The solenoid was badly arced and burnt inside but the motor assembly was in surprisingly good shape.
Has anyone identified a P/N or source for replacement solenoids? Search turned up nothing.
TIA
ToddsSS

·
Registered
129 Posts
I googled the part and found several at around $30. A place called. discountstaterand battery shows the part and gives the part numbers for cross reference. I an sort of computer illiterate and am not sure how to post the link.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Please keep us posted on how this works out. Would be interesting to know if keeping one of these around is a good thing to do on a higher mile Ody.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If you have to remove the starter to replace it, might as well replace the contacts. Amazon and ebay will have the repair kit for about 13 or 23 something like that. That way you know it will be good for a long time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, Finally got home and had a moment to get to this. I had to remove starter and disassemble to replace the solenoid but the solenoid did fit the starter in my 2000 ODY. and it works fine. (for now)

Starter Solenoid Relay Acura CL El TL Honda Accord Civic Prelude Odyssey 1996 04 | eBay

Just to see I decided to break apart he old solenoid and the copper contact surfaces were pretty badly arc's and burned.

I dug back through my records and discovered the starter was replaced with a TYC Starter Assembly [117728 (1-17728)]
in October of 2012 so this unit only had approx 2.5 years on it and 41,875 miles (Van currently has 228,623)
So I'm not thrilled with the longevity of that unit!

Regards, ToddsSS, Benton, AR

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Can you clarify if you put your OEM starter back? Is it trivial to swap the solenoid on the OEM starter? And most importantly, how much work is involved in getting the starter out of the vehicle?

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
TYC does make an honest attempt to be the company that markets "similar-to-OEM" parts at a lower pricepoint, but my experience with them has only been with headlights, and they're not very good. I went back to OEM. The only way I'd ever use a TYC-branded headlight is for an HID projector retrofit (they're fine in that application), since the TYC reflector optics are pretty sorry when using a halogen bulb.

That said, it doesn't surprise me that the TYC solenoid was not durable. Glad that you took a gander at the motor and saw it was still good-to-go.

228,000 miles....a true "Arkansas Traveler"; keep on truckin'! :cool:

OF

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you clarify if you put your OEM starter back? - NO I installed the new solenoid on the Replacement TYC Starter
Is it trivial to swap the solenoid on the OEM starter? - Not really - you must dis-assemble the stater motor as the solenoid is screwed to the geared adapter from behind. took about 30 minutes include cleaning.
And most importantly, how much work is involved in getting the starter out of the vehicle - not a big deal - two bolts (17mm socket) after removing positive cable. activation wire and clip on bottom supporting hose. Had to snake it around the radiator hoses but it came out the top.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
This is good info, thanks for posting you results.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just replaced the starter on 2000 Ody LX, 200k miles, removing the battery box ate me up. You can remove that stubborn, hard-to-get bolt on the frame by jacking up the front passenger side and removing the wheel - access it from below, use a 12mm ratchet wrench and it will come out quickly. The starter is new and cost $75 delivered from Amazon, almost not worth it to rebuild or just replace solenoid if you haven't done these before.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
That damn bolt on the bottom of the battery box frame is a big PITA!!!!!
That's the only reason I haven't changed the atf filter on my 03 Ody yet. :eek:
One benefit from buying a Lifetime Warranty rebuilt starter from a place like AutoZone, etc is that a replacement is free, in case it goes out. If, a vehicle has a starter that requires a bunch or work to replace, I would either have my old starter rebuilt or buy an overly expensive OEM starter. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
18 Posts
2000 Odyssey intermittent starter

I am reading this post today as I am having similar issues in a 2000 Odyssey with 226K.
Every now and then when turning key to start, nothing would happen. Upon "bouncing" that turning several times I could get it to start.
When the starter eventually turns, there is no sluggishness to it at all. New battery and all cabling in good condition.
I also have a 1993 Toyota SR5-V6 pickup that exhibited similar symptoms a few years ago and realized the starter itself was not bad it was merely the two copper contacts in the solenoid assembly that had burned away a minute amount of surface area due to many starts over the years. As I recall, I actually got the parts at Toyota, pulled the starter, disassembled the solenoid, replaced the contacts and voila! I am quite certain had I taken it to the dealership I would have been told, "Sorry buddy, you need a new starter"
Just out of curiosity yesterday I called the local Honda Dealer in Ft Myers FL and asked about solenoid contacts, the parts guy seemed bewildered and mumbled he had only full starters either remanufactured or original. Get ready for shock... he quoted me prices on the reman at $323.00 and the factory at $700!!!
Just unbelievable!
I am finding this link on eBay and am awaiting return contact from the seller if this will fit the 2000 Ody.
STARTER SOLENOID 66-8505 Acura CL Honda Accord Odyssey Isuzu Oasis 2.3 2.7 3.0 | eBay

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
I know the old Toyota solenoid contacts you're talking about on the gear reduction starters. Three screws, the plate comes off and you simply change the L-shaped contacts. One side would wear down much faster than the other side. Those are totally different than the style used on the Odyssey starter. Solenoids can be changed if you can find them. Usually, though, the rest of the starter is also pretty worn out and it's time to just replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
The starter solenoid for the Odyssey is 31210-P8A-A01. This part # is not one of those in the e-bay listing so fitment doesn't look good.

Try searching for this part #. Another supplier may have a replacement.

Disclaimer: I agree with John that the starter is best replaced as a unit.

Dave

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here's our go-to guy for starter replacement parts:

George Coy
CEO
Clean Plus, Inc.\CPI Divisions
PO Box 678
West Concord, MN 55985
Ph: 507-527-2233
Fax: 507-527-2308

I believe the original starter and alternator should be rebuilt whenever possible for best results/longevity based on experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just replaced my starter. It would act like yours, after smacking it a couple times with a pole it'll start right up.
Didn't want to mess with it again, so just swapped out the entire thing. $70 with no core charge. Was an aftermarket one from amazon.

With the amount of work needed to get to the starter, I'd spend the extra $50 over just the solenoid and be done.

Another note is that once I had the old starter out, it ran with no problems off my spare battery. That leads me to believe that the starter just wasn't unable to run under load. Could be your case as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am reading this post today as I am having similar issues in a 2000 Odyssey with 226K.
Every now and then when turning key to start, nothing would happen. Upon "bouncing" that turning several times I could get it to start.
When the starter eventually turns, there is no sluggishness to it at all. New battery and all cabling in good condition.
I also have a 1993 Toyota SR5-V6 pickup that exhibited similar symptoms a few years ago and realized the starter itself was not bad it was merely the two copper contacts in the solenoid assembly that had burned away a minute amount of surface area due to many starts over the years. As I recall, I actually got the parts at Toyota, pulled the starter, disassembled the solenoid, replaced the contacts and voila! I am quite certain had I taken it to the dealership I would have been told, "Sorry buddy, you need a new starter"
Just out of curiosity yesterday I called the local Honda Dealer in Ft Myers FL and asked about solenoid contacts, the parts guy seemed bewildered and mumbled he had only full starters either remanufactured or original. Get ready for shock... he quoted me prices on the reman at $323.00 and the factory at $700!!!
Just unbelievable!
I am finding this link on eBay and am awaiting return contact from the seller if this will fit the 2000 Ody.
STARTER SOLENOID 66-8505 Acura CL Honda Accord Odyssey Isuzu Oasis 2.3 2.7 3.0 | eBay

Thank you for any input.
Hey bobintn, here is a link on rebuilding your starter. I rebuilt my starter and my alternator on my wife's '01. Alternator 3 years ago starter a year and a half ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8sPMYqzw8

You can purchase starter parts from Honda but they will only try to sell you a whole starter.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ODYSSEY&catcgry2=2000&catcgry3=5DR+EX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=STARTER+MOTOR+(MITSUBA)

I bought my parts from a local starter/alternator rebuild shop in town so I would search for one near you.
Like the others stated other parts i.e. the brush assy is probably bad.
Brush assy was $15, solenoid was $30.

My wife's brushes were bad but I replaced the solenoid too because she is not happy when her van is not running... Lol

Autozone parts aren't worth the trouble, yes they are lifetime but with the frequency at which they are replaced it is not worth it.
I worked at an Indy shop a few years back and I swore by autozone because of cost and lifetime warranty until it was pointed how often I was replacing them and this was on my personal car.

The eBay link you have is not for a 3.5 but for 4 cylinder and 3.0 V6.
This is the part # for the 3.5 solenoid
http://m.ebay.com/itm/261001815529?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Not a hard job if the bearings, armature and commutator are good but those are easy to test. The reman parts usually on replace the bad parts and paint the exterior so save the money on the paint job and diy.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know the old Toyota solenoid contacts you're talking about on the gear reduction starters. Three screws, the plate comes off and you simply change the L-shaped contacts. One side would wear down much faster than the other side. Those are totally different than the style used on the Odyssey starter. Solenoids can be changed if you can find them. Usually, though, the rest of the starter is also pretty worn out and it's time to just replace the whole thing.
Thanks for the reply John. I am just reading this now on 8/2/17!
I ended up taking my Ody to a very honest independent mechanic who just happens to sub out a part of his building to an auto/electric guy.
I was having a bit of other work done, 4 motor mounts needed to be replaced and the filter screen on the power steering pump needed to be cleaned.
I had explained to the mechanic the symptoms of the starter as in my original message. He let the auto/electric guy have a look and he said it is common for the brushes to be worn as well. They only charged me $100 for a full rebuild and all is working well. 228K at this point (the vehicle set dormant for a number of months until I finally got it over to the shop!).
Bob (now in Florida!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts