Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

During a small trip to the vet in our return home I fell a hard shifting when climbing on hills that didn't happened before, and the van had a hard shifting when climbing a hill and the engine reved up to 4 K about 3 miles before getting home.

At home I opened the hood and noticed the oil leaked through the breather hose.
I own my van with no problems since 2017, and I have no information from previous owner about transmission problems.

As the van dropped a little of oil I added 1/4 just to make sure is on the correct measurement.
I am planning to go and check for codes and see if there is something related to the TCS.
Is there anything I should star looking before thinking the transmission needs to be rebuilt?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
59 Posts
When was ATF drained and refilled? I suspect some solenoid or passage is blocked and ATF overheated during the drive on hills. Suggest 4 drain and fills of 3.5 quarts using Valvoline maxlife ATF with 100 miles of driving between. You may need to remove and clean solenoid screens.

In my Ody I had to do solenoid screen cleaning twice. I also added an inline magnetic filter on the return cooler line. IMO rebuild or replace is not worth the value of this vehicle. I plan to drain and fill ATF every year and keep my Ody going. It is currently a hauler when needed as I working from home and my other car is the primary vehicle.

Check the codes and watch the videos, posts. Good Luck...

·
Registered
591 Posts
When was ATF drained and refilled? I suspect some solenoid or passage is blocked and ATF overheated during the drive on hills. Suggest 4 drain and fills of 3.5 quarts using Valvoline maxlife ATF with 100 miles of driving between. You may need to remove and clean solenoid screens.

In my Ody I had to do solenoid screen cleaning twice. I also added an inline magnetic filter on the return cooler line. IMO rebuild or replace is not worth the value of this vehicle. I plan to drain and fill ATF every year and keep my Ody going. It is currently a hauler when needed as I working from home and my other car is the primary vehicle.

Given OPs indicated location, labor to rebuild could be quite inexpensive, changing the calculus.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

When was ATF drained and refilled? Honestly about a year and half ago.
I will do the 4 drains and solenoid cleaning after that I will look for the filter is there any specific model or part I should look for? .
I only use the van for weekend no long trips but I think doing the annual drains will keep it as well.

thank you for the advices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts