Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there-
So, I am a mom to a nearly 3 yr old (E), a 13 month old (R) and expecting another in April 2011 (N).

I currently have E (35lbs) in a Britax Marathon FF behind the driver with tether. R (20lbs) is in a Graco SnugRide RF behind the passenger. Both are in the 2nd row installed with a belt since the 2000 odyssey's don't have latch.

So here's the dilemma....
R is about to outgrow his infant seat and I'd like him to be RF in a convertible seat (Marathon) as soon as possible. E could be RF if I bought a Sunshine Kids Radian 80 (RF up to 45lbs). N would inherit the infant seat once born.

How would I configure the seats once I have the new baby? Neither of the older kids can buckle on their own.

The best that I can think of is to have the older kids on the outside of the 3rd row both RF. The newborn would then be RF behind the driver 2nd row and the passenger 2nd row would be sitting in our garage.

Is this the only way to do this?

Thanks so much in advance for any help and advice you have to give. :) It's much appreciated.

Charlotte

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
"The best that I can think of is to have the older kids on the outside of the 3rd row both RF. The newborn would then be RF behind the driver 2nd row and the passenger 2nd row would be sitting in our garage."

I think you meant FF for the 2 older ones.

I agree with your plan above. Removing the second row seat is a good idea for access (and diaper changes when raining).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. I really appreciate the quick response. It's such a shame that we ended up without latch in our 2000 odyssey, but with a new baby on the way getting a new van is just not in the budget. :-(

I figured if my older two are going to be in car seats that can accommodate RF, I should do it. By the time I have N, E will be just under 3.5 years and R will be 1.5 years old.

I am trying to keep E RF'ing as long as his weight limits will allow, which is 45lbs in a Radian xtsl.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
adding.....

does anyone have experience with having RF'ing car seats in the back for kids that need help being harnessed?

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
3/1/newborn said:
adding.....

does anyone have experience with having RF'ing car seats in the back for kids that need help being harnessed?
For a 3 year old who is 35 pounds, it is fine to go into a forward facing seat. A combination model like the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier would provide a lot more value in that you could use it much longer.

While rear-facing is safer, for kids well over 2 years old the difference is likely to be small if the child seat is correctly installed and used in any apporpriate rear seating position.

My personal preference would be to move the passenger captains chair to the center and put the rear-facing infant seat there. Put your rear facing 13 month old behind the driver. Then put the oldest one in a front facing seat in the middle of the third row where there is a top tether anchor. The bigger aisle will allow you access until they can buckle themselves. Really, almost any arrangement in back will be quite safe, it's mostly a matter of convenience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts