Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of a 2000 Odyssey with about 95,000 miles and have loved it. But after sitting for about 10 days while I was away, it wouldn't start even tho the engine was turning over. Also a green key symbol appeared on the panel. My scan gauge indicated a transmission problem but after clearing the code, the car would start with the valet key but would not come out of park. A key inserted in the steering column release allowed me to shift but the light for reverse or neutral didn't light up. I can only start the car in park, insert the valet key into the steering column release, shift to the desired gear and I am good to go. However I can't remove the key if not in park and so to drive, I have to go thru the above sequence again after each time the transmission is turned off.
My local dealer took two days and told me the entire computer needed to be replaced (at a sum nearly half the book value on the van).
Has anyone had this sort of problem? Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda dealer claimed to have swapped out the brake light switch without restoring either the brake lights or the problem of not coming out of park without a key in the steering column release slot. Dealer 'jerry rigged' a re-routing so the brake light works but says the real problem is the computer.:huh:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think dealer is lying to you especially the part about "without restoring the brake lights". That is pretty straightforward circuit. No computer is ever involved in turning on the brake lamp.

It seems like you will have to get your hands dirty or find somebody more trustworthy. Blaming on the computer is a cop out.

- vikas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts