Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already read up on a bit on this, but I'm looking for some advice on my current situation. I've got a 2000 Odyssey with 93,000 miles on it. The check engine light just came on last week, brought it to Autozone yesterday - two codes came up... One, is P1739 (automatic transaxle concerns) and the other is P0420 (bad cat).

So, I got it into the dealer this morning. The dealer just called. The recommend replacing the sensor and getting a transmission flush. Is this good enough. Is it really a faulty sensor, or are they just covering up the eventual trans failure. Not sure if the sensor error really means a failed trans. The car drives pretty normal, I'd say the shifts can be just a bit delayed in cold weather, otherwise no issues at all.

Any recommendations?

Also, they quoted me $901.00 for the cat replacement. Is that normal? Are they correct to jump on the most expensive part to replace?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Replacing the 3rd clutch pressure switch is recommend for the P1739 code if the connections and ground are good. 3 or 4 drain and fills of ATF is recommended over flushing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's good news. I talked to them again to clarify. I guess this code relates to a part outside the inner workings of the transmission itself, which is a relief. I'll definitely get the fluid switched as well, I'm sure it's past due.

I'm still wondering about the cat - though I'm leaning towards paying for it now though. With 93,000 miles the dealership said it's normal for the cat to go bad... I'm not necessarily sold on that explanation, any thoughts? It's not uncommon for us to smell gas on startup, so wondering if the EGR system could be involved. I asked them about this as well, they said that there are not TSB for the 2000 year. They said they'd check over the system though, to make sure it checks out okay.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
The cat parameters are really sensitive. I had the code once, reset it and it hasn't come back. Do a search in here for that code and you'll see some people get rid of it by adding a spacer to the O2 sensor. I wouldn't jump at replacing it yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you do need that cat find a good muffler shop or a shop that does custom exhaust in your area. You should save a bundle over the Honda dealer price.
I had a bad cat in my truck. The dealer wanted $600. They informed me that the cat had to replaced as an "assembly". Yeah, right. I found a custom exhaust shop and they cut out the bad cat and welded the new one in place in less than an hour. The total cost? $100 for the cat and $50 labor. Good luck. Harry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts