Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I solved an issue where the 2000 Odyssey (130K miles) would sometimes not start and wanted to post the solution. These were the symptoms:
1) Key in ignition and turn it to activate the dash lights
2) In a working state, the green key light comes on solid and then goes off after a couple seconds, if this happens the car will start
3) In a non-working state, the green key light does not come on, in this case the motor will turn over but it will never start

Things we did to temporarily fix/workaround the problem:
1) Sometimes pumping the e-brake (parking brake) would enable the green light, and the car would start
2) Sometimes the e-brake pump did not work, so we would leave the car in the parking lot, come back in a few hours, try again and it would start. Early in the morning it would start but after driving on a hot day, then parking it for a few minutes would cause it to not start again.

I saw lots of posts about the green key blinking when trying to start the car. This indicates the immobilizer unit is not detecting the correct key and a anti-theft circuit is preventing the car from starting. These were not my symptoms exactly but I replaced the immobilizer unit anyway, and the problem did not go away.

Solution: replace the Main Relay 39400-S84-003 (~$55 from ebay, ~$100 at the dealer). The main relay is near the e-brake, so I am guessing the vibrations from pumping the e-brake caused the relay to work sometimes. The relay is easy to replace. It is located under the driver side dash.
1) Remove the bracket that holds the main relay with a 10mm socket.
2) Slide the relay off the bracket with a flat head screwdriver to assist.
3) Install the new one.

If this had not solved the problem I would have suspected the ignition switch.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow. This answer is not what I expected.

But when I had my 94 Integra, I had the same issue for probably a year. Won't start when it's warm/hot. The starter won't not even 'click' and turn. It's a well known issue with older cars. I brought it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate the problem as weather was cooler. First thing they suggested is replacing the main relay!

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you have a soldering iron, the cover pops off of the relay and you can resolder all of the joints. Sounds like the original poster had a cracked solder joint that could have been fixed for free.

·
Registered
171 Posts
great post.
had this issue with old 2000 ody. for some reason the problem went away.
nice to know of a possible fix, other than replacing immobillizer.

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I solved an issue where the 2000 Odyssey (130K miles) would sometimes not start and wanted to post the solution. These were the symptoms:
1) Key in ignition and turn it to activate the dash lights
2) In a working state, the green key light comes on solid and then goes off after a couple seconds, if this happens the car will start
3) In a non-working state, the green key light does not come on, in this case the motor will turn over but it will never start

Things we did to temporarily fix/workaround the problem:
1) Sometimes pumping the e-brake (parking brake) would enable the green light, and the car would start
2) Sometimes the e-brake pump did not work, so we would leave the car in the parking lot, come back in a few hours, try again and it would start. Early in the morning it would start but after driving on a hot day, then parking it for a few minutes would cause it to not start again.

I saw lots of posts about the green key blinking when trying to start the car. This indicates the immobilizer unit is not detecting the correct key and a anti-theft circuit is preventing the car from starting. These were not my symptoms exactly but I replaced the immobilizer unit anyway, and the problem did not go away.

Solution: replace the Main Relay 39400-S84-003 (~$55 from ebay, ~$100 at the dealer). The main relay is near the e-brake, so I am guessing the vibrations from pumping the e-brake caused the relay to work sometimes. The relay is easy to replace. It is located under the driver side dash.
1) Remove the bracket that holds the main relay with a 10mm socket.
2) Slide the relay off the bracket with a flat head screwdriver to assist.
3) Install the new one.

If this had not solved the problem I would have suspected the ignition switch.
Thanks for the post. I just had the same issue with the wife’s 2001 odyssey. Again, thank you much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts