Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've got a 2000 Honda Odyssey. Battery was kind of dead and the starter wasn't engaging. Replaced battery, engine turned, but car won't start. I've pulled the starter just in case and it's fine.

I'm thinking maybe a clogged fuel filter, but I can't see it anywhere, and after searching found it may be in the fuel tank? Does someone have a HOW TO on replacing that?

Or, do you think it might be the ignition switch, which was apparently recalled? Is that an ongoing recall or was it limited within a time frame?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'd vote ignition switch before fuel filter. I'd vote lots of things before the fuel filter.

Yes, the fuel filter is in the tank. I wouldn't touch it before you've verified its likely the problem(by checking fuel pressure and flow rate). Its virtually guaranteed to NOT be the fuel filter causing your starting problem, unless someone dropped something really nasty in your fuel tank while you weren't looking. It doesn't take much gas to make an engine idle.

The fuel >pump< may indeed be the problem. It's also in the tank, and should run for several seconds each time you turn on the ignition(no need to start). Its not real noisy, so you may need a helper to verify its running. If it isn't running, check the fuel pump fuses before tearig into the tank.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Check out the post below, specifically the end result. Maybe your issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've found bad fuel pressure regulators in the past (on other cars) that have caused them to not start or have difficulty starting. Easiest way to see if that's the issue is to pinch off the vacuum reference line on the FPR (carefully, so you don't damage the line). If the car then starts, the FPR is bad.

Also, and this is coming from my Audi experience, although it relates to many cars, a bad coolant temp sensor can tell the ECU that the car is warm when it's cold, or vice versa, for example, causing the ECU to fuel the engine incorrectly for the engine's temperature. That'll also cause starting issues.

I don't know whether those will help you on an Ody but they bear keeping in mind while you troubleshoot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's with 'some' embarrassment I come back to report the findings...

...this Odyssey is actually my brother's. It's been down for about 2 years, because he's been very busy and just went through a divorce.

At any rate -- after battery and starter analysis, I started to pull the necessary parts to replace the ignition switch....as I pulled the fuse box back to unplug (I had only pulled the coverings thus far, and nothing else) I found that a fuse was a little crooked. It was the left-bottom fuse -- I looked it up (the fuse panel cover not there) and it read " IG COIL". We laughed for about 5 minutes.

We are suspecting his bitter ex may have screwed with the fuse, because it had been removed and one of the prongs was bent over at nearly a 90 degree angle, and then shoved back in making it look like the fuse was still in. The only other possibility, which seems unlikely, is that he kicked it getting out of the car and the prong bent the opposite direction and pushed itself back in all at the same time.

At any rate -- should've checked the fuses first -- but I was in town only a couple days and tried to fix it quick already knowing a few other people looked at it. A moment of retardation on my part...but all i did was straighten the fuse prong and it started right up.

Also found out in the process that his car wasn't eligible for the ignition switch recall.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
thumper300zx said:
We are suspecting his bitter ex may have screwed with the fuse, because it had been removed and one of the prongs was bent over at nearly a 90 degree angle, and then shoved back in making it look like the fuse was still in.
Always easy to blame the ex but is she really technically capable of doing this? Anywho, no reason to be embarrassed. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
She probably wouldn't have thought of it on her on -- but you know, girls have friends, and usually when you're foolin' around those friends aren't the best of friends.

What is more likely do you think -- car runs fine, and all the sudden it's not running because of a fuse that has been:

a) pulled, bent prong, pushed back in by a bitter person

or

b) pulled by my brother's foot caught the fuse while getting out of the car, bent prong, and pushed back in without knowing it?

Oh, BTW -- the car had been recently returned by said bitter ex after she had just tried to trade it in for her brand new Acura, which she paid for taking money out of a joint bank account. In order to trade it in, she needed power of attorney, so she called my brother up and said, "I need power of attorney." He said..."Why?" She said, "None of your business". Needless to say, the car didn't get traded in, and he got it back, but then a couple days later, it was disabled.

LOL -- I still find it hard to believe this fuse wasn't purposely tampered with.

Anyway -- no matter, the solution was found.

Thanks for the suggestions based on original topic everyone. If I ever own a Honda, I know where to come :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts