Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our van has started getting sluggish at slow speeds. It just seems no matter how much you push on the gas it isn't enough. Any idea what the problem is or how to start trouble shooting this?? Any help would be great!

Dayne.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Need more details. The check engine light on? Does it feel like it's skipping? Is it revving up but not picking up speed? How old are the spark plugs? Usually weak power at lower rpm comes with skipping which means plugs or coil bad. This assumes maintenance on items like air filter is up to date.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem...

Code it is throwing is: p0420 (low threshold)

I am not sure on the age of the spark plugs, but they are at least 4 years old. I had to replace one ignition coil, but the others are at least 4 years old as well.
There is a feel of skipping as it goes.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I would pull the plugs and check them. Make sure they are the proper NGK's recommended for the van. If not, replace them. It may be worth replacing them anyways to make sure that's not the issue. Next step would be pull one coil at a time, if pulling one has no change on idle then it's not working as it should. You said 1 coil was replaced, make sure it's OEM or it may be creating your issues.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Are there any other codes at the same time as the P0420 code (like the O2 sensor codes)?

After taking Mike's advice above, clear the P0420 catalytic converter code (pull Fuse #13 in Passenger's Under-Dash Fuse box and wait 3 minutes) and see if it returns.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I got some NGK platinum spark plugs and will replace them this weekend and test the coils next. I am not sure if I got an OEM coil or not. Just purchased it at AutoZone and they said it was an exact fit. It fixed the problem with that coil when I replaced it.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Thanks guys! I got some NGK platinum spark plugs and will replace them this weekend and test the coils next. I am not sure if I got an OEM coil or not. Just purchased it at AutoZone and they said it was an exact fit. It fixed the problem with that coil when I replaced it.
Autozone would be an aftermarket part which may work well enough for awhile but then give you strange symptoms. IMO, sensors, coils and plugs should be OEM only.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I got the exact same platinum plugs brand and model # (as oem specified by Honda) at Pepboys Auto supply for about 1/2 the price of the dealer. I would think you could could do same with the other components or get oem parts online cheeper than the dealer.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Thanks odyinNH. Does this mean you have to get those parts from the dealer?
Some yes, some no. The plugs are NGK so easy to get almost anywhere. Something like an O2 sensor is Denso so you can get it at some places by specifying the brand. Coils look to be another ball game. Looking them up on Bernardiparts I don't see them listing a brand so I would assume you can only get them at a dealership like Bernardi's. They have them for $40 each. Autozone has Duralast which is aftermarket and cost $45 each. Even if Autozone's was $20 cheaper I would still buy a coil from a Honda dealer. BTW, I bet you won't find the Honda part at this price at a local dealer, these guys and Majestic Honda have great internet prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts