Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Admins - if there is a thread that discusses this topic already please let me know and remove this thread. Thanks****

Okay, I just bought a 2000 Odyssey with 92,000 miles on the sucker. Its in decent shape, but has had some minor body work and touch ups done. I was reading about transmissions for our model odysseys and I was a little disturbed to hear that many people had problems with theirs. I did a car fax before i bought this van and there were no service records about transmission work. Only texas VET testing results, a minor accident to the passenger side, and change of ownership.

My questions for the forum are these: Should I expect trouble out of this transmission? What exactly did the recall from the factory specify was the issue with the transmissions?

I am an auto restorer and have the capabilities to work on the van without paying stealerships to work on it. So, do you all suggest just doing a filter and oil change for the transmission and call it good? i haven't had any trouble out of it yet. i bought it last week in Dallas and put tires on it and had it aligned. Did spark plugs and an engine oil change then drove it to Kentucky. So far we have 1,000 miles on it and it has done great. I have done the clock backlight fix, and fixed the other lights in the dash. The rear hatch catch assembly was loose so i lock tited the bolts and got that working good. Overall I am very please with the van. We went from a 2000 Toyota Camry with 180,000 miles to this 2000 odyssey and I must say it is SOOOO much better toting a child and my wife all over the country in than that stupid camry.....

Thanks for any advice you all have on the transmission.:DD

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
***Admins - if there is a thread that discusses this topic already please let me know and remove this thread. Thanks****
Well, if you just read the first 4 - 5 pages of the 99 forum, you will fine more than a few threads on this tranny problem of the 2nd gen. A LOT of folks ask this same thing almost at the least on a weekly basis or sometime more than once a day. Since 2nd gen tranny topic is kind of sore for everyone, we don't ask 2nd geners to search and we don't merge topics but there is tons and tons of information on this subject. If I were to take a stab in the dark, I'd say about 30 - 40% of the discussions on this site are for either tranny problems or how to maintain the tranny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, is there a thread dedicated to trans maintenance, or do I have to read through endless threads from people voicing their opinions on the transmission. I don't want opinions from people who haven't worked on there vans, I want an actual tech write-up on the matter. Send me a link to that page if it exists.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
well, is there a thread dedicated to trans maintenance, or do I have to read through endless threads from people voicing their opinions on the transmission. I don't want opinions from people who haven't worked on there vans, I want an actual tech write-up on the matter. Send me a link to that page if it exists.
It exists along with Pix. But you're going to have to search and weed it out from the search results by going through just the thread titles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Original 2000 Ody owner here. I'm on transmission #3 at 94k miles... Regular transmission fluid changes, no filter. Thinking of selling this summer as we can get away with a smaller second car. Overall, it's been a decent vehicle, but Honda won't sell me another automatic transmission car again. (My 2004 Accord ate it's differential bearings at the same time the Ody was have it's transmission rebuilt. Last November was an expensive month for me!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Original 2000 Ody owner here. I'm on transmission #3 at 94k miles... Regular transmission fluid changes, no filter. Thinking of selling this summer as we can get away with a smaller second car. Overall, it's been a decent vehicle, but Honda won't sell me another automatic transmission car again. (My 2004 Accord ate it's differential bearings at the same time the Ody was have it's transmission rebuilt. Last November was an expensive month for me!)
i am hoping i didn't make a mistake by buying this odyssey. We have 94,000 miles on it and no problems. Seems to run good and quiet. Last night I was driving around 1 am and had the radio off and fan off and it seems I could hear a very very quiet gear whinning sound, but it was very quiet. I had to really focus to hear it.

Okay, so does everybody have problems with their transmissions or is it like a factory flaw that causes problems in a certain batch of transmissions? I guess I would like to know what my chances are of having problems. Does anybody have 200,000+ miles on the stock transmission? Or does everyone have to replace the trans? Thanks anyone for any input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts