Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
where to begin...

we purchased a 2000 odyssey at a great price and in great shape for its age, drove it 2 1/2 hours home and was very pleased with the deal. ( and still am )

that was on a saturday, on sunday i changed the oil filter, air filter and drained and topped off the ATF. that following monday our lives changed forever,
my wife went into premature labor and had to be lifeflighted to OSU medical center, which is 2 hours 1 way from our hometown. colin james was born at 1 pound 3 ounces and 12 inches long. at 4 weeks old he is doing as well as can be expected although it will be a long hard road.

i had to drive there and back daily as we have children at home, on the last trip back 3 days ago i was introduced to the odyssey tranny issues as our odyssey started shifting hard then not finding 2nd gear.

when we got back in town it was gear hunting and neutrilizing after 1st gear, although once in a gear it does NOT slip at all.

what i have done..

thanks to the excellent articles on here i drained and topped off the atf and was able to pull the shift solenoid and the lockup solenoid. on the bigger solenoid with the 4 tubes and small bowl strainers the 2nd strainer from the bottom was completely plugged also the other solenoid with the rubber o-ring type gasket and strainers, the smaller round strainer was completely plugged and the oval strainer was partially plugged.

after reassembly i did take it around the block 3 times, it did not gear hunt although shifting into 2nd was noticeable but nowhere near as hard as before cleaning. it is finding all gears now. it is now parked and not being driven.

i need to get this vehicle trustworthy ASAP, our other vehicle is an econoline van with its own issues and we simply cannot afford to drive this back and forth. with 10s of thousands of dollars and climbing in medical bills weekly and the amount of cash we are hemorrahaging it makes it hard. we are your average american family doing our best in this economy.

my question is what should my next step be? im positive there is still debris inside that can break free anytime, im thinking i should immediately put an inline or remote atf filter in place to help catch this.
and be prepared to perhaps have to clean these strainers again.

i have called locally for a jasper reman but the $3500 is just unafforable at this time. IF i would have to replace it i would first check with gator as ive read there price is good and quality/workmanship and warranty is outstanding. and beings they are only 5 hours from me i would do all i could to take it there myself.

ANY advice or tips would be appreciated, even if its brutally honest and your advice is to just throw in the towel and save for a reman.

ill thank you in advance and look forward to any and all tips/suggestions/advice.

Tim

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Congratulations on the new addition to your family, I hope all goes well there. As for the Ody, you've done what you could and the end is probably near for the tranny but it seems you never know on these units, some people get 10k more out of them after the cleaning. I would go with Gator seeing they are relatively close, are they cheaper than Jasper? Take into consideration that the tranny needs to get you there.

You don't mention the mileage on the trans or if you got a CEL.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
....colin james was born at 1 pound 3 ounces and 12 inches long. at 4 weeks old he is doing as well as can be expected although it will be a long hard road.....Tim
OMG....

Tim, I'm praying for you, mom, and the baby!

I think you're in Buckeye territory when you say OSU, right?

OF

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of ATF did you fill with, Honda Trannys are very sensitive
both drains and refills i used Z1, although several of our close friends are die hard honda/acura guys and said they use castrol multi import exclusively without issue (so many opinions regarding ATF fluid it can leave your head spinning). Z1 seems increasingly hard to find, and IIRC didnt honda switch to a new blend? luckily they had several quarts laying around between them.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family, I hope all goes well there. As for the Ody, you've done what you could and the end is probably near for the tranny but it seems you never know on these units, some people get 10k more out of them after the cleaning. I would go with Gator seeing they are relatively close, are they cheaper than Jasper? Take into consideration that the tranny needs to get you there.

You don't mention the mileage on the trans or if you got a CEL.
i believe gator is $1800 to $2000 from what ive read here but i have yet to call them i am going to on monday, the service engine light is on but i havent pulled any codes as of yet, mileage is about 150k, as far as getting it there i would dolly or trailer it with our econoline. its roughly 300 miles 1 way.

OMG....

Tim, I'm praying for you, mom, and the baby!

I think you're in Buckeye territory when you say OSU, right?

OF
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, yes OSU is in columbus ohio, we reside in findlay and young colin has already been declared honorary alumni by the doctors and nurses. how nice it is to think that he may one day go to school at the very same college that is now saving his life.

it is still my plan on monday to find and add a remote tranny filter, im not sure if this will help this tranny but the way i see it it isnt money wasted as it would be used on the reman.

the 1 thing that makes me think it may still have some life left in it is that once in gear there is absolutely NO slippage of any kind. and once past second gear shifts were swift and quiet. the van itself is in great shape, needs the normal things, a good interior detailing, sliding door rollers, a rear heat and air knob, the engine itself runs perfectly, with no signs of any leaks what so ever, i was a little shocked when i opened the hood and was presented with such a pristine looking engine compartment for the years and mileage.

thank you for the responses and i look forward to anything more as far as advice the community may have to offer.

Tim

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
The 1 thing that makes me think it may still have some life left in it is that once in gear there is absolutely NO slippage of any kind. and once past second gear shifts were swift and quiet.
Tim
I wish this mattered but apparently it doesn't always. I've read too many posts saying the real slippage comes shortly afterward. Mine slipped while going into 2nd and lucky for me Honda replaced it for free before it got worse. We started driving it differently when it slipped, if we backed off on the gas when it went to shift it seemed to go into 2nd better. You have a big enough vehicle to tow it to a shop so that's a good thing.

Prayers for your family.

·
Registered
295 Posts
pcfxxr,

First, congratulations to you and your family. I hope all works out well for you and your new arrival, my prayers will be with you and your family. As far as the transmission goes, I think the tell tale sign for you will be if the transmission fluid smells burnt. I suggest you check / smell it daily and take note if it smells burnt. The smell is just as it sounds, when you are at the end of the transmission life (gen 2 Oddy) the 2nd gear clutch pack slips causing massive heat and in the end the tranny fluid becomes "burnt". So, having changed out your fluid it should not be burnt now, if it starts smelling burnt quickly then you will need to think quickly about a different tranny. Make sure you become familiar with unburnt smelling tranny fluid and then you will know quickly when things change. The only other thing to consider is a tranny cooler but that may be best left for a rebuilt unit. Again, best wishes and good luck, Russ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

pulled the codes from the ody today...

P0730
P0401

I did contact joe at gator transmission, price quoted was $1895 2yr/24k warranty.

he suggested i bring it to him directly rather then ship and have it installed locally, and since were only about 300 miles it seems to make sense. id rather drive a bit to have peace of mind the tranny was done right.

we did talk about motor mounts, i think ill aquire my own and take them for free install (joe quoted $450 if i needed them once i was there), we also talked about a filter and tranny cooler, joe stated he didnt feel the need for a magnefine or a remote tranny filter as once the new tranny cooler is put on there wouldnt be a need for a filter (cooler temps less breakdown of clutches?).

overall i was very pleased with our conversation, ill be taking the ody there the last week of this month.

whats the communities feelings on a tranny filter on a new reman? also i could use a good link for the 5 mounts, better safe then sorry and having to overpay for them.

Thank You

Tim

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tim,

I'm sure the TSB for DTC P0401 is on the forum but here is a link to the Honda TSB.

http://home.comcast.net/~johnpitman/a05-026.pdf

The P0730 is a shift control DTC so just maybe it could be a solenoid issue. Check the tranny fluid, if it is cooked then that says allot.

Lots of luck, Russ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Tim,

I'm sure the TSB for DTC P0401 is on the forum but here is a link to the Honda TSB.

http://home.comcast.net/~johnpitman/a05-026.pdf

The P0730 is a shift control DTC so just maybe it could be a solenoid issue. Check the tranny fluid, if it is cooked then that says allot.

Lots of luck, Russ.
Tranny Fluid first time i changed it was bad, but didnt really have a burnt smell, 2nd time around was far far better and still no burnt smell.

Today i did just install a B&M remote transmission #80277 filter topped off the fluid and took it for a spin, drove fine for 10 minutes, barely noticeable 2nd shifts and the rest were smooth, but then it began some weird upshifts and downshifts, from a standstill it feels like its shifting thru the first 3 gears very fast then back down, hard to explain.

is this a symptom of the shift solenoid being bad? is the shift solenoid the one with the 4 tubes and 3 bowls strainers?

Thank You

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you tell me which one of the pressure switches controls first gear? I found third and fourth, their labeled as such... Having trouble locating first and second switches in parts diagrams. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you tell me which one of the pressure switches controls first gear? I found third and fourth, their labeled as such... Having trouble locating first and second switches in parts diagrams. Thanks

no i cant mikie, you may be better off starting a new thread...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
update

Glad to say we finally got our odyssey to gator transmissions and back!

most important colin is thriving and doin well, he is still on oxygen, and a lil small (17 pounds right now) for being 1 on march 9th, he is daddies lil champ!!

joe and frank went the extra mile at gator, absolutely awesome to run across such a professional caring business in this day and age.

gator custom transmission rebuild 75k warranty
install tranny cooler
3 engine mounts
2 trans mounts
all new shift solenoids

they did leave the B&M remote transmission #80277 installed and changed the filter.

there was an issue the night before i was to leave to get the ody, and had already rented a car to go get it, it put off getting the ody for a few days, but gator paid for the rental car cost. again what a great place.

kept me informed every step of the way, very personable and caring people.

the ody drives great, shifts are unoticeable and very smooth, now time to chase down the codes gator pulled and sort them, and change the windshield that got cracked.

p0122
p0505
p0401

i highly recommend gator thus far, send them all the business you can!

have a great day

Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts