Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post after searching.
2000 Oddy with 160,000 NE vehicle.

Somedays early on it seems to run a bit rough but then smooths out.
A few times first starting out it has refused to start, but turns over great (yes the fuel pump is immediately whirring for 4 sec or so).
A few times there's been a bit of delay and then it fires up after 30 sec or so.

Today, it wouldn't start for 7 or so attempts. I tried leaving the key on for 12 sec before cranking the engine. Then a few hours later, nothing and then bam started fine over and over.

I am getting these engine codes.
po300
po302
po304
po305

Thanks for any information.
Andy

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I don't think you are stumping anyone - just this topic has been discussed many times before. Search on "hard starting 2000".

Most likely it is the EGR valve and needs the ports cleaned out as per the TSB 05-026.

Those P030X codes are misfire codes.

When were the spark plugs changed? What brand?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you

Thank you for the reply, I recently replaced the egr valve a month ago. The plugs are what was in there when I picked the van up about 15,000 miles ago.

I'll do some more research, but from what I found so far is it seems people were chasing all different kinds of things with not much luck i.e., fuel pump, main relay etc...I'll keep looking.

What plugs do you recommend?

Thank you, Andy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pcv

I just realized it was the PCV valve I changed and not the EGR valve. Thanks for the heads up.

We'll see what happens

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
research

I'm trying to save some money here, it seems I don't need to by the new EGR tube kit, correct? It seems it's recommended to just clean out the ports>

Looks like i need to get a few new gaskets, clean out the ports and button back it up. Thought I would start with that first before shelling out the money for a new EGR valve. (i'm not getting the po401 code)

What do you think?

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Actually, if you think that the spark plugs are the original, then I would recommend checking their state first. Use only OEM NGK Platinum plugs. The misfire codes indicate a problem with the plugs, coils or connections. The EGR issue should come second to checking this out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YES!

Hey now I just did the EGR port cleaning, the van started right up and seems to run very well, actually the best it ever has since I've had it.

The port on the manifold was very clogged.

I did not remove the throttle body, just unhooked all connections to it. ddi not replace the EGR valve either.

I may be imagining things but it seem my brakes work better now (more even, better peddle pressure). Not sure why that would be but I'll take it. (A few thousand miles ago I had replaces, front pads, discs and master cylinder, but was never thrilled with the results at the pedal)

Spark plugs will be next.

Can i go with Denso Platinum TT for 2.99 a piece( i can also use a coupon code and get some off that too at advance auto)

Or Denso Double platinume for 6.99 a piece (i'd rather do the cheaper ones and they got good reviews.

Thank you, thank you thank you board!

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts