Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2000 Oddyssey with 185,000 miles on it. We are trying to decide whether we should finish paying it off (we're almost there) and keep driving it, or try to sell it and get something with less miles.

I'd like to keep driving it for a few more years, but I'm uncomfortable with driving a car with that many miles on it. What is the general consensus out there as far as the reliability of the Oddyssey after 200k miles? Am I asking for trouble, or should I be stoked about driving a great car without a car payment?

Thoughts? What should I look out for?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is the car giving you trouble, showing signs of age, or are you running out of space? If not, I would keep it until it starts to show signs of age. Every month you don't pay for a new car is a few hundred dollars in your pocket. Putting in 1-2K$ a year in repairs makes sense if you're saving 5-6K$ in car payments.

We kept our previous car until 240K kms, about 150K miles, and would have kept it but ran out of space in it. We put 2000$ a year in repairs for the last 2 years, but that 4K$ is still less than the Odyssey costs us over 10 months in payments.

Nicolas

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Keep driving it, when paid off put the payment money in the bank for when it dies which will give you a sizable down payment. If nervous about it dying, get triple A. I don't see many folks getting stranded in one though. You could also get minimal insurance and put that extra $$ in the bank too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts