Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 2001. It has had no problems til now. A few weeks ago I was driving and all the sudden it just kina died...it didn't really sputter or stall it just quietly stopped running. After a minute or two I could restart it and drive like nothing happened it has happened twice since then.

We have also taken it into the shop twice...The first time they checked the fuel pressure and said it was fine. The 2nd time they cleaned off the battery cable and tightened it.

We live in a busy little city and I can't drive this around town not knowing when it might die. Any ideas??

So far we have heard:ignition switch, sensor problem, loose battery cables... Has anyone had experience with this problem? I really can't afford to keep throwing money into it with no results.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ignition switch. Its recalled, I believe. Do a search.

Try to wiggle the key a bit and see if you can cause the van to shut off.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
The ignition switch is a possibilty (especially if you have a heavy weight of keys hanging from the keychain and prematurely wears the switch. I believe the 1997 to 1999 Odysseys have the recall on them.

Other possibilities are the main fuel relay/pump.

See the link below in my signature line for info on our 2001s...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It is unlikely the fuel pump is bad if you get normal pressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They think it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor....does that sound right? However they say they don't have the right tools for that and suggest we take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was thinking your symptoms sound like what I had on a 1990 Acura Legend, and the dealer replaced the crank angle sensor, and it was not cheap. The car would just die without warning. Good luck. Tom

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Good news and mostly bad news....

The good news is that the crankshaft position sensor is held in by two standard bolts.

The bad news is the two bolts and the sensor are behind the infamous crankshaft pulley. I don't believe you need to actually remove the timing belt, but you are basically 95% into a timing belt replacement when you get to the sensor.

I'd want some better verification than 'thinking' its the CKP, since its probably something like a 600 dollar job to change. I believe that its nothing more than a magnetic pickup coil, so there isn't much to go wrong, and I think that if it ever gets disconnected or shorted, the computer would raise an alarm.

Maybe you can find the wire(leads out the back of the engine, at the lower timing belt cover) and pull/push/wiggle it both where it enters the engine and at its connector. Do this with the engine running and van up on stands, but be very careful not to get any of your parts near any moving parts(like that big spinning pulley!)

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
If it were the Crankshaft Position Sensor, it should have triggered a CEL code.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
We should have this in a sticky. Randomly dies with no codes - things to check

1) Ignition switch
2) Main relay

Don't get side tracked by plugs, coil, fuel pump, timing belt etc.

- Vikas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts