Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had noticed that the 'doors open' indicator light on the dashboard for the driver side sliding door was not working. I didn't pay much attention to it until one night around 2am the alarm starting going off. I did a little checking and noticed one of the pins on the pillar switch was damaged (the black sleeve around it had apparently broken off).

I replaced both the pillar switch and the door switch since the dealer said there had a been a TSB on these parts and were slightly modified from the original. Not a bad job, about an hour including getting the tools out and put away.

The door works fine and no more bogus alarms. The dash indicator light still though does not work. I notice that when the door first opens and then just before it closes, the sliding door 'open' indicator flashes quickly. I guess this is as the two sets of contacts are engaging/disengaging.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'll admit up front that finding electrical problems was never a favorite of mine. I do notice that the new pillar side switch has one additional moving pin that the old switch did not. Same number of pins, just one extra moves.

Thanks
Dave.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Open the door and look at thr frame between it and the door. There is a switch that gets pressed wheb the door closes and gets pilled in. Ether the switch is bad or your door may not be pulled all the way in when closed. Check for missing rollers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the switch

Thanks William. That's the switch. I can't believe I didn't think of that since I just replaced the driver's side door switch for the same reason. I guess with how complex-looking the switches that I just replaced are, I assumed the door open/close light would be connected with that. Well I'll be getting that switch for both sliding doors and the passenger side door since now that's two that have gone bad. At $5 a piece they're cheap enough to replace. Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saga continues

OK - so since my posting on 5/27, the alarm decided to go off again on it's own a few days ago. I replaced the remaining 3 pin switches so now both front doors and the 2 sliding doors all have new switches and the dash 'door open' indicators all work fine now. However, now the security system will not arm. When I double click the key fob all doors lock but the blinking red dash light does not come on. To verify, I locked the doors, leaving a window open and pulled up on the door-lock. In the past, this was a sure-fire way to get the alarm to go off. I also notice a double clicking sound under the driver's side of the dash when I press unlock on the key fob. I've read some other threads about some fuses to check, possible bad multiplex units and even a bad fuse box under the hood in one of the 2005 model year threads. I'll check the fuses but everything is working (radio, lights, horn, doors, windows, etc.) except the security system won't arm now. I'll post any updates but if you have any other ideas it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So now the security system arms again, with the requisite horn beep but it continues to go off after about a minute of the doors being locked. I have checked all the fuses in the passenger-side fuse box. Although none of the fuses were blown, almost all of the fuses have a dark tarnish on the metal prongs. Keep in mind that this is a 2001 with 188k miles on it and I've never had to replace any fuses so I've never had an opportunity to look at them before. Even with this high mileage - should I expect the fuse prongs to be noticeably tarnished or am I looking at some sort of electrical problem? I haven't checked the driver's side fuse box yet. Based on other threads with a similar problem with the security system, it could be one of the fuse boxes is bad or one of the multiplex units. Looking at the service manual and the steps to go through to narrow down the problem, this could be a long fix unless I decide to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer.
At the moment, the pesky alarm system is the only thing that is not working. All other systems, at least for now, are working.

Anything anyone would try first?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sliding door fixed - security system still acting up

Alarm is still acting up - sometimes not arming at all, sometimes arming then going off unexpectedly. Started multiplex diagnositic process on page 22-247 of service manual. "Mode 1" test seemed fine which I believe indicates the driver's and passenger's multiplex units, as well as the door armrest control unit, are all communicating. "Mode 2" tests were all ok except for hood latch test which failed to signal when hood release was pulled and passenger's door latch test failed to signal when latch was depressed although it signaled when latch was raised. Since the hood latch failed the test, I'm thinking to just replace the hood latch whether or not it passes the continuity test, which I haven't done yet. Any thoughts on the two failed tests?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Alarm is still acting up - sometimes not arming at all, sometimes arming then going off unexpectedly. Started multiplex diagnositic process on page 22-247 of service manual. "Mode 1" test seemed fine which I believe indicates the driver's and passenger's multiplex units, as well as the door armrest control unit, are all communicating. "Mode 2" tests were all ok except for hood latch test which failed to signal when hood release was pulled and passenger's door latch test failed to signal when latch was depressed although it signaled when latch was raised. Since the hood latch failed the test, I'm thinking to just replace the hood latch whether or not it passes the continuity test, which I haven't done yet. Any thoughts on the two failed tests?
I would take simple steps to troubleshoot your problem. I believe the door contact switches are what triggers the alarm. If all five door switches appear to be operating normal on the dash display than it is more than likely going to be the hood switch(which is not pictured on the dash display).

I believe the hood pin switch wire is yellow with a red stripe and is on the drivers door multiplex unit. It will be the only green connector that plugs into the white square multiplexer box by the drivers kick panel. If you can find a way to tap into this with it still connected it should be ~12V with the hood closed or 0V with the hood open. You can also disconnect the connector and do a continuity test and it should be infinite resistance to ground when the hood is closed and 0 ohms of resistance when the hood is open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
Do you have the part #'s of the two Door Switches pictured in your docs (HondaSlidingDoorSwitch-1.doc and HondaSlidingDoorSwitch-1.doc)? I can't seem to find them anywhere online. Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts