Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 EX-NAVI last week, and was pleasantly surprised when the dealer pointed out that the manual now calls for 86 or greater octane fuel. Does this reflect an actual fuel system change, or just bowing to common usage?
Also, even though the documents I signed included a standard form exhorting me to make my first oil change at 3000 miles, my dealer also pointed out the manual says don't do it until 7500 miles or 12 months. Any comments?
Finally, I've already found two places where the NAVI is out of date (new home construction, Disneyland Dr.) Does anyone know how often the NAVI updates come out (the manual says that updates usually come out in the fall)?

------------------
SS 2001 EX-NAVI

·
Registered
58 Posts
You didn't sign anything to promise a 3000 mile oil change, did you? I've never seen nor heard of such a thing before. I doubt it would stand up anyway if you really pushed it.

As for oil change interval, there is a nice chart at the front of the maintanence section in your owners manual. Be sure to read the qualifications for "severe" vs. "normal" service intervals, and note that even if you have been considered "normal" with other vehicals, there are lots of restrictions and you probably will find yourself "severe" with the Odyssey. Follow the chart and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by texneus:
You didn't sign anything to promise a 3000 mile oil change, did you.</font>
I'd echo that question! The dealer I did business with pointed out that here in the Houston area, we live in a "severe" useage area simply because of the temperatures. That aside, my average driving puts me in a severe useage catagory anyway. The manual does specify the initial oil change at 7500 miles which seem really long to me but I'll honor it this time. After that, severe useage oil changes are listed at 3750. I try to do mine at 3300 mile intervals. It's easier to keep track of since you simply do the oil change when the odometer indicates a multiple of 3300.

As long as you stick to the recommendations listed in the owners manual, I think they'll have a hard time giving you any flack down the road.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
596 Posts
The Odyssey has always been able to run on "regular" or better. There is a knock sensor system which retards the spark for the lower octane fuel and allows the motor to appreciate higher octanes for more power. On regular, you lose 5 hp from the 210 maximum and you lose a few lbs/ft of torque. In everyday driving, I have not been able to tell the difference. It would only show when pulling quite hard and at elevated rpm levels. They say the 2002s will have a 10 to 1 compression ratio and call for regular. Ain't electronics great?

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
58 Posts
"The manual does specify the initial oil change at 7500 miles which seem really long to me but I'll honor it this time. After that, severe useage oil changes are listed at 3750."

Are you sure? I thought the chart showed 3750 for the first change on the severe schedule. I'll have to look again.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by texneus:
"The manual does specify the initial oil change at 7500 miles which seem really long to me but I'll honor it this time. After that, severe useage oil changes are listed at 3750."

Are you sure? I thought the chart showed 3750 for the first change on the severe schedule. I'll have to look again.
</font>
Well, I'm glad you asked! I'd have sworn that I saw that somewhere in the manual but can't find it now. Under the "normal" maintenance schedule, it does recommend 7500 mile intervals for the oil change. The severe useage schedule recommends the 3750.

Sorry about the misinformation, I stand corrected!

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
The passenger window weather seal came loose and eventually tore on the down side only so I stopped by Hollywood Honda when my car had about 3K mile to discuss oil change and strip replacement. They will of course replace the warranteed seal........The info on the oil from the head service tech (a mechanic not a service writer) was: This is a relatively new engine (in the accord first) and there is a detergent in the oil added at the factory to help clean any loose debris. He said that the most recent classes he had taken at Honda suggested at least 5K miles before first change with 7500 the actual recomendation. His opinion generally about todays engine oils was that they were good for 10K miles, filter too, but that the quickie lubes of the world through and thanks to advertising have convinced everyone that 3500 miles is max.. and now impossible to change opinions, less frequent changes would mean less discarded (correctly and incorrectly) old oil. As for the viscosity..... 5W-20 is suggested for higher gas mileage, 5W-30 is fine everywhere it does not freeze in winter. I will probably start to increase the mileage between my changes to at least 5k Miles. I still have the original oil in at 4600 Miles.

------------------
'01 SS EX: fenderwell trim, splash guards, door guards, Honda cargo mat, Honda cargo tray, Leather steering wheel cover, Honda 6 disc CD-changer, Honda cassette player, OEM Kelton subwoofer, Honda front speaker upgrade, Honda emergency repair bag, WeatherTech air deflector and wind shields, Thule roofrack system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"He said that the most recent classes he had taken at Honda suggested at least 5K miles before first change with 7500 the actual recomendation"

I'd have to see it in the manual or have that in writing from Honda before I went with it. Not changing your oil per the PM schedule with the required grade and weight is grounds for voiding your warrantee for any future engine repairs that can be traced to lubrication problems. OTOH, does the chart say "required" or "recommended"? There's a big difference and I don't recall which it says.

PS I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the only places universally forcing 3K oil changes to consumers are the places that sell oil changes (that includes many dealers themselves!). You should always follow your owners manual, which I doubt most people ever bother to read.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As he said, nobody, not any car manufacturer or mechanic or any "expert" will change anyone's opinion once Madison Avenue gets their claws into the collective mind. Over the course of 100K miles a mechanic see their customer very few times, especially the cars with the 100K spark plugs, so the oil change becomes a way to get us all in more times during the course of ownership. As with any question, opinions will vary from source to source.

------------------
'01 SS EX: fenderwell trim, splash guards, door guards, Honda cargo mat, Honda cargo tray, Leather steering wheel cover, Honda 6 disc CD-changer, Honda cassette player, OEM Kelton subwoofer, Honda front speaker upgrade, Pioneer 1086 rear speaker upgrade, Honda emergency repair bag, Honda trash chute, Honda glovebox organizer, WeatherTech air deflector, WeatherTech wind and storm shields, Thule roofrack system, Plug"n"Go center console, Ractive silver/kevlar shift knob.

·
Registered
628 Posts
This is a relatively new engine (in the accord first) and there is a detergent in the oil added at the factory to help clean any loose debris.
Your tech is not quite as knowledgable as he would like to believe.

The Odyssey's engine is a variant of the Acura RL. This has been reported in all the automotive magazines.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The SOHC 60 degree 3.5L V-6 engine in Odyssey was originally in Acura CL 3.0. Its variants also includes Accord 3.0L, TL/CL 3.2/S and MDX.
The RL's SOHC 90 degree V-6 3.5L engine was originally in Legend 2.5L. Its variants also includes 2.7L, 3.0L and 3.2L.
The 60 degree V-6 was designed for passenger car and is one of the world's most compact 60 degree SOHC V-6 in 3.0L class.
The 90 degree V-6 was originally from Honda's Formula-1 racing technology until FIA outlawed turbochargers.

[This message has been edited by lelandstanford (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
215 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by homeric:
As for the viscosity..... 5W-20 is suggested for higher gas mileage, 5W-30 is fine everywhere it does not freeze in winter</font>
Look on your filler cap. It says 5W-30
My service Dept. says 5W-30
My dealers parts dept. looked up the recommendations in their manual. 5W-30
Helms manusl says 5W-30

The only place you find 5w-20 is in the owners manual. They are printed before the cars are made and I doubt they would discard them for each minor change. They could have supplied a rev sheet though.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Ownwers manual was revised with pasted in sheets that now reflect the proper grade of 5w30 motor oil.
Also 5w20 has the same physical properties as 5w30 in freezing temperatures. We've been using 5w30 for 20 years up here in Canada and last time I checked it still freezes here...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BTucker:

Also, even though the documents I signed included a standard form exhorting me to make my first oil change at 3000 miles, my dealer also pointed out the manual says don't do it until 7500 miles or 12 months. Any comments?
Finally, I've already found two places where the NAVI is out of date (new home construction, Disneyland Dr.) Does anyone know how often the NAVI updates come out (the manual says that updates usually come out in the fall)?

</font>
We bought our 2001 EX-NAVI last week also! The dealer said that there are special additives in the original oil that help to condition the engine. In order for the additives to fully work, the original oil should be left in for the full 3,750 miles. He said after changing at or after 3,750 miles that we could change more often (3,000, or whatever # miles) if we wanted to.

On the NAVI updates, the Honda Web site shows that the new DVD was released this week. There is a link to a 235-page document listing the full coverage areas. It looks like every small town in every state is now included.

https://eSales1.alpine-usa.com/dos/honda/allcity2.05.pdf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts