Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m in Canada, cold clement. I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, having transmission issues! I am sure you know this year of Honda has transmission issues but I don’t think it needs a new transmission, possibly just a sensor. It only happensat first start up, once you ramp up to 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gear, the indicator shift light (D4), starts flashing and transmission will lock in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gear.
I stop the van, place it in park, turn it off, re-start, ramp to D4 again, travelling 1km or so, the once transmission heats up, you can drive all day and issue won’t happen again. Is only until you stop long enough for it to cool down will you see the problem again.
Honda has 250,000 km, at 100,000 the first transmission was replaced.
I now just change the transmission fluid by draining 3 litres adding 3, driving 100 km, flush 3, add 3 more.
When hot, not having issue!

What do you think?
Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have a shop locally that has a scan tool that can communicate with the transmission controller? Perhaps there are faults logged that can provide clues. Driving the van with the scan tool showing live data may also help diagnose it. Sounds like you maintain it well. Curious...did you use the new DW-1 fluid or the old ATF-Z1? The DW-1 fluid is known to have improved borderline tranny problems (or at least bought some time), depending how serious the issue.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Yes, get the PCM code scanned and report back. Does sound like an electrical and not mechanical issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2001 Honda Odyssey in Aug 2001 and in June 2009 the transmission had to be replaced at 98000 miles (within extended warrnty on miles and 2 months outside the extended warranty on months.

Now it is 145000 miles and this winter since January (I live in NJ) I notice that when it is cold and the engine is cold and I start driving without warming up around 20-25 mph the engine revs (possibly because the gear shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd doesn't happen smoothly). I want to forestall any major problems with the tranny since I hope to use it for another couple of years.

Took it to the Honda dealer who had installed the replacement transmission in June 2009 (36 month/36000 mile warranty). It is now little over 43 months and around 47000 miles on this transmission. They say that the transmission is slipping and will have to be replaced ($5500) and that replacing the fluid/flushing the transmission would not do anything. Asked about the pressure switches and they said that it is not the problem.

Is slipping due to broken gear teeth? Are their transmissions so badly built that they fail in such a short time?

Any advice on further course of action other than replacing the tranny?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Before replacing I would certainly try changing the transmission fluid with Honda DW-1. It may be a hail Mary, but it is low cost so you are only out $75 if you pay somebody (that is what my independent charges), or $30 if you do it yourself. If you do change the fluid, capture a sample and have it analyzed by Blackstone Labs for $25 and post the report here for us to see Blackstone Labs (They will send you a free testing kit, but if you do not want to wait you can capture some fluid in a clean plastic container and later transfer it to their sample bottle). I am curious to see what the analysis looks like on a transmission that is experiencing problems as I recently posted my analysis in this thread: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/157992-blackstone-atf-report-transmission-fluid.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts