1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dash has a deep scratch i would like to repair and touch up paint

my interior color code is Q

the dash is two colors. Upper where the scratch is darker than the lower color

anyone know the name of the darker color so I can look for a can of touch up paint
going through google the only thing I found was Ivory. But Im not sure if thats the lighter or darker color

thanks for any help

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Looking at the parts diagram, there are three colors for the upper dash:
  • YR164L (Medium Taupe)
  • G48L (Dark Fern)
  • NH283L (Quartz Gray)
and three for the lower dash:
  • YR169L (Mild Beige)
  • G49L (Light Fern Green)
  • NH284L (Light Quartz Gray)
Yours is probably medium taupe above and mild beige below. See any stickers with the corresponding color codes?

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
It looks like the only scratch is on the cover for the passanger side airbag. The pick your part places are full of these vans.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.
I could not find any other tags with a color code. I checked passenger door and glove box

I can check the parts yard. I just don't like the idea of messing around the passenger air bag

i was hoping to just sand the scratch down and touch up paint. It got scratched when the window tint was installed last year. The van is in very good shape. Garage keep most the time. I got the van when my mom passed away a few years. I hope yo get a few more years out of it.

when looking for the other tags I found the original window sticker, and I have owners manual and warranty book
Window sticker says ivory interior but thats probably the cloth.

the glove box looks like radio code

not sure what the M number is

so far the medium taupe looks promising, but not sure how to find a matching paint.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Ok, you are right about the airbag. That whole thing is an assembly that probably unbolts from the bottom. The cover is Medium Taupe. The airbag assembly bolts to it. You might consider getting one of those silly rugs folks put on their dashboards...
I actually figured out why folks do that, it is to lessen the reflection of the dash in the windshield.
Even though your van is quite cherry as us old folks would say, it is not worth much, so body shops would never be replacing that airbag, the van would be totaled. I don't think "messing with the airbag" is that dicey as long as the battery is disconnected. You might even find a van at a junk yard that has had that airbag deployed. It would just be a matter of unbolting the airbag from the cover. If you are still due for any airbag recalls, I might try taking in a fresh cover and begging them to replace it when they have it apart anyway. I would not use an airbag from a junk yard, you
want one that Honda has done all the fixes on. No matter what, make sure your van has all its airbag recalls. There were several and a redo to boot.

You might just live with it. Could be a good lesson for living in an imperfect world.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip on the airbag recall, I had not idea and checked my vin on the recall website and it has 1 recall for airbag. Not sure if its drivers or passenger but ill get ahold of my local honda and get the details.

good idea about getting a cover out of the parts yard. Ill check and have one on hand if i can find it.

ifHonda wont change the cover at least ill have a part to try to color match at my local auto parts.

I just posed the question in case someone had restored a 01 dash and knew a dash paint rattle can that matches.

I realize the van has little value but since Ive been driving it a few years its grew on me. So I’ll keep the minor up keep on it and go from there.

I may end up with a dash mat anyways due the the climate I live in. Southwest dessert.

If I do find a matching dash paint ill post up the info for the next guy.

only close is this web site.

but no medium taupe

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
I am quite familiar with SIM coatings, having used them to custom paint home interior switches, dimmers, even receptacles (you have to cut little pieces of cardboard to fill the slots & ground hole) Also vents and light trims. I have even had an auto paint store do custom matches. That ends up being about $100. though, so you have to need a lot and have a rich client who is fussy enough to want it. Looks really bitchen to have everything blend when the color of the walls is extreme. You have to make sure everything is very clean, do a final wipe down with alcohol, wear a real paint vapor mask. Many very light coats. Stuff ends up looking like it came from the factory that color. Wears really well as long as the surface is prepped.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A friend has an old car(older than an ody). Plastic dash that got sunbaked and discolored. The dash was an exact match for primer grey spray paint. I could not believe that it worked. He cleaned the dash real well then masked and painted it. He had the car for years and then sold it. The paint, even though it was primer, stayed the correct color and never peeled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did go to pic a part this weekend
only 1 van with my color but the cover was scratched
I tried to unbolt the air bag to just to see what it would be like. What a nightmare

I grabbed a couple of broken pieces of trim that I can take to the store to see if I can find a rattle can

match

first stop at orilieys was unsuccessful

I dont want to invest to much time or money into this. But I don't mind paying for a can spray paint

I checked against the primers and camo paint, noting close

Ill post up if I find something,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well one thing I found out at the parts yard is the the cover is integral to the air bag

I did find a can of paint at lowes that is very very close

1 - 10 of 10 Posts