Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post ever after finding this great site not too long ago.

I've recently bought a 2001 from a private party. Got the deadly P0740 code and the CEL along with TCS light shortly after. The stealership quoted $5200 for a transmission replacement. At first the shifting was fine. However, I found that the ATF was dark, had a burnt smell, and contained metal particles. From my reading (before I found this site) I replaced the torque converter and drained/refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 fluids without touching the inner part of the transmission. The code came back on after a short drive, so that wasn't it.

I then followed jofei's suggestion and cleaned out the screen and tubes in the linear solenoid and lockup solenoid. Yes, they were clogged up as jofei described. The code came back on again after about 10 min driving. Now, about 50 miles later, I have noticed that shifting is fine when the engine is still cold, but once in the normal operating temp, the transmission jerks and flares whenever I come to a stop and start accelerating again. This didn't happen before.

Given the fact that the ATF was dark and burnt initially, metal particles found in fluid, and now all the jerking and flaring, I am thinking I'm down to the last option - replacing the transmission. I have been looking at the ones on ebay. Does anybody have any suggestion on what else I should do or this is it? All comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
aeroperf

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Did you do a simple drain and refill (3 quarts)? This will get only about 1/3 of the fluid. A complete change needs three drain/refill's, with driving in between to run through all the gears.

With the fluid that bad, the screens you cleaned may be clogged again. Might be worth the effort to check that they are still clean.

Also, the stock ATF cooler may have accumulated crud. Disconnect it and flush it out. Liberated debris from a dirty cooler has been suggested as a cause for the rapid failure of replaced transmissions. It also reduces the efficiency of the cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks davedrivesody for your reply! Because I replaced the torque converter, I think I got most if not all the fluid out (the torque converter alone took about 3 qts) without going thru the recommended 3 drains/refills process. The screens are still clean, and the fluid is clean & smells normal.

I haven't been able to locate the stock ATF cooler you are talking about. It does make sense that with the fluid that bad before, the cooler may have accumulated crud. Can you point me to the general location where the stock ATF cooler is? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
aeroperf said:
I haven't been able to locate the stock ATF cooler you are talking about. It does make sense that with the fluid that bad before, the cooler may have accumulated crud. Can you point me to the general location where the stock ATF cooler is? Thanks!
It's built into the radiator way down at the bottom.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts