Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I did a search but could not find an answer. I have a 2001 EX. One morning I went to leave work and it was dead, no power at all. I did not find anything that had been left on. I jump started it and it worked fine like it had never been dead. About a mile down the road at a stop light it again died. No power at all. I cycled the key a few times and once again it came to life like nothing had happened. That was a few months ago and has not given me a problem since. Today my wife took it to get the oil changed. After the change it was dead. Once again a jump start and it is working again. She says the radio has cut off a few times but comes right back. Any Ideas? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check for loose battery cables at the battery and at the other end where they connect to power up the fuses, alt. and starter, and check ground cables for bad connection. I also had this problem in my Taurus and i found my igniton switch was shorting out, my fix for that was remove all the keys exept the Taurus key and fob ( to much weight causing the switch to be stressed) I did that 6 months ago and had no other problems.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agreed - it sounds as if it's a bad connection issue and the ignition is certainly suspect given your explaination.

Please let us know what you find...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would say that excessive wieght on a set of keys will cause the ignition to fail prematurely. When i worked as a tech at saturn we would see customers come in with what amounted to a purse attached to their key rings, and would wonder why ther keys no longer turn in thier ignition. It can also wear the contacts for the ignition swith out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome aboard! How old is your battery? Our van has been the most aggressive battery eater we've owned (three in five years, which may not seem that aggressive, but we've owned 11 vehicles and our typical battery life has been 4+yrs across our experience).

A worn ignition switch could also be your issue based off of your description of being able to restart it without a jump start. We just lived through a similar experience with our '99 (147K). In our case, the van would stall at low speeds (roughly around 20mph), but would restart without issue (no tripped codes either). Operating temp didn't seem to matter, and the stalls would strike without warning. There is a recall on these, but your van may be outside of the affected range being that it is a 2001 (this is based off of your VIN). You can use your VIN on the Honda Owner Link site to check to see if your van has already had the work done. If it has, and your local dealership(s) are anything like ours, they will not cover the cost again.

This thread is also a good read about the ignition switch:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29032&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=3

Other potential things playing in to the issue could be your Idle Air Control Valve (IAC and/or IACV for searches here) or your Power Steering Pressure Switch (this seems less likely in your case). At least from reading threads here, those would typically throw a code or two that would actually direct you to those problem areas.

Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2001 oDY Died

Thanks for all the replys, It has not happened again and I have not been home long enough to take a look at the connections but I will definatly look soon.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I replaced the ignition switch on mine because it stalled without warning a couple times and also wouldn't turn over for my wife once or twice. I knew it was time to replace when jiggling the key made the car die. I did have dash lights though. Some have mentioned the weight of the keys wearing out the switch, having taken mine apart I see no way how that can be the case in one of these vans. The actual switch is on the left side of the column, a thin bar goes all the way across from the key mechanism so it doesn't look like the key weight affects it. This was an easy and inexpensive swap for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts